RC poster

Pinion and Motor Cap Question

I am running a stock 2S Sla4h on the 13:54 gear set on 2S 50C lipos. I just ordered a set of 2.2/3.0 Trenchers for bashing (no racing - no 3S) in a lightly wooded area that used to be grass before the drought killed it, so it is now hard pack dirt with good size exposed tree roots.

The Trenchers are 111mm tall and I believe I read somewhere that the stock tires/wheels are 107mm making the Trenchers about 4% larger in circumference. I would like to gear it back to the stock performance level or even with a little quicker acceleration with less top end since I can't use all the speed it makes now in the trees. The next gear set would be the 12:54 - about 8% higher ratio which would give me the 4% back from the taller Trenchers and another 4% which should boost the acceleration at the expense of the top end speed. Right?

The manual says the 12T pinion "Requires removal or modification of plastic motor end cap for proper fit"

So what does that mean and what will I have to do to make the new smaller pinion work?

Quote Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
    I am running a stock 2S Sla4h on the 13:54 gear set on 2S 50C lipos. I just ordered a set of 2.2/3.0 Trenchers for bashing (no racing - no 3S) in a lightly wooded area that used to be grass before the drought killed it, so it is now hard pack dirt with good size exposed tree roots.

The Trenchers are 111mm tall and I believe I read somewhere that the stock tires/wheels are 107mm making the Trenchers about 4% larger in circumference. I would like to gear it back to the stock performance level or even with a little quicker acceleration with less top end since I can't use all the speed it makes now in the trees. The next gear set would be the 12:54 - about 8% higher ratio which would give me the 4% back from the taller Trenchers and another 4% which should boost the acceleration at the expense of the top end speed. Right?

The manual says the 12T pinion "Requires removal or modification of plastic motor end cap for proper fit"

So what does that mean and what will I have to do to make the new smaller pinion work?
    I don't run any vxl3's but perhaps the motor cap has a clearance issue?
    I would just get the pinion and if the cap is in the way you can easily pop it off.
    [IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Billy is correct, it is simply a clearance issue.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I believe you can change motor position and have the wires facing the outside of the chassis. Unscrew your motor plate and rotate it 90 and bolt it back on.

@ksb51rl - glad you put that code in your sig. I always have to go looking for it.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 11-24-2018 at 10:34 PM.