RC poster

Exclamation Brushless setup Traxxas summit

Hi everyone, I recently just bought a Traxxas summit 1/8. Overall the truck is in a solid 7/10 condition and I only got it for $170. The only current problem it has is the range issue and Iím not sure how to solve it. Anyways back to why Iím here, I feel the Traxxas summit is too slow brushed. I was planning on going with the castle monster mamba for the truck. Maybe 2 HRB 2s 5000mah hard case lipos to run the system. These lipos are some cheap eBay ones and only cost $70 Cad for both. Iím not sure what gearing ratio to use. Iíve heard about ďCoggingĒ before and also overheating is a huge issue. Iím planning on using this truck in low gear too so I donít want just speed. Running brushless has many bad effects on the summit so Iíve already planned ahead and Iím going to buy Integy driveshafts, hardened steel spur gear, hardened steel diffs etc. Lastly, I wanted your input on ďbecísĒ I have no idea what these are, but apparently people run these. I need the help from you fellow rc wizards.
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Okay before you get going. Get a sensored brushless system. Castle creations makes a perfect setup for the Summit with the larger ESC and a sensored 220kv motor. This way you can crawl as slow as you like without the worry of cogging. Next I would recommend staying away from integy driveshafts and any other steel part. The stock pinion and spur are fine to run up to 6s with no problems. Just set the mesh correctly. The Summit is a tough truck and will take a beating. The only weakness that I have found is the diffs. But with a proper setup of the slipper clutch you should not have any issues with them on 4s. And the Summit is fast enough on 4s to be fun and not get out of hand. Remember itís not a bashing truck like the Erevo or similar. Itís a purpose built truck for crawling and some bashing. Use it as such and it will last you a long time. Have had mine for well over 5yrs and it is just as good as new. But I donít beat it up. I use it as it was intended. These are JMHOís. But I truly donít think you need steel driveshafts and the such to make the Summit capable of running brushless motor. Again, JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Okay before you get going. Get a sensored brushless system. Castle creations makes a perfect setup for the Summit with the larger ESC and a sensored 220kv motor. This way you can crawl as slow as you like without the worry of cogging. Next I would recommend staying away from integy driveshafts and any other steel part. The stock pinion and spur are fine to run up to 6s with no problems. Just set the mesh correctly. The Summit is a tough truck and will take a beating. The only weakness that I have found is the diffs. But with a proper setup of the slipper clutch you should not have any issues with them on 4s. And the Summit is fast enough on 4s to be fun and not get out of hand. Remember itís not a bashing truck like the Erevo or similar. Itís a purpose built truck for crawling and some bashing. Use it as such and it will last you a long time. Have had mine for well over 5yrs and it is just as good as new. But I donít beat it up. I use it as it was intended. These are JMHOís. But I truly donít think you need steel driveshafts and the such to make the Summit capable of running brushless motor. Again, JMHO.
    I canít argue with much of the above though I have not had any ďdiffĒiculty. Nice reply.
    The Summit is indeed one tough truck. It has a decently wide repertoire of uses. However, if beating on with extreme speed bashing and/or big air, the OPís suggested mods may not be enough to keep it operational.
    I have had no more problems using mine with a Mamba Monster X and a 4274, 2250kv sensored motor than with an EVX-2 and a Dewalt 396505-21SV 14.4-Volt motor.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    Same here. Have heard about others having issues with diffs, but personally havenít had any issue with mine. Iíve not run the 2200kv much in mine, but went with an 18v drill motor. Tons of torque. Just not a speed machine. Iíve owned my Summit for a long time, itís an old yellow one, and Iíll say itís one of if not the toughest truck in my RC fleet.

RC poster
    Hello guys, first if I would like to thank you guys for your reply. I was planning on going all out on the summit, but you guys are right. It’s good I came here first haha. My last 2 questions are concerning which after market wheels I should buy and how can I fix my radio issue. The range on my summit is like 5 feet and I’m not sure how to fix it. I asked some people before and they said water damage, but how do I check for that? I’m sorry I’m new to this hobby still. Also, my stock summit wheels have heavy water damage and there are big holes in the wheels lol. I was planning on going with the big mudslingers, but I’m not sure. Thanks again to @222 and @ksb51rl

RC poster
    Forgot to add, what gear ratio is the best tho?

RC Qualifier
    I am running proline trenchers on my Summit and they absolutely rock! Good for all around use. The stock wheels and tires are great for climbing but the trenchers are a better all around wheel and tire setup. As far as gearing goes it depends on how fast you want to go. I would get yourself some different size spur gears like 54, 56, 58, and try those. I ended up going 18/65 on mine but itís not a speed machine. More for torque. Going down in spur gears size will add speed but at the cost of torque. Not so much with a brushless setup, but it will affect it regardless. You might try 18/54 and see what that does. Here is a pic of my Summit with the proline trenchers. They are pre mounted. Canít remember name of the wheels. A

RC Qualifier
    As for the range you want to make sure the receiver wire is not pinched or cut. Yo may be best off just getting a new receiver. Easiest way to fix the range issue IMO. Not sure of the cost, but for what you paid for the Summit it would be the best thing to remedy the range issue. Hope all this helps and have fun with that thing!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    As for the range you want to make sure the receiver wire is not pinched or cut. Yo may be best off just getting a new receiver. Easiest way to fix the range issue IMO. Not sure of the cost, but for what you paid for the Summit it would be the best thing to remedy the range issue. Hope all this helps and have fun with that thing!!
    Thanks a lot for your help, take care.

RC poster
    Hi @222, someone on Kijiji near me is selling a 2400kv motor and the regular castle mamba esc for $150. He wants more for the 2400kv motor and the mamba monster x esc. What should I do?
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Is it for your Summit? If so you need the larger mamba monster ESC and the 2200kv motor. The 2400kv motor is more for 4x4 1/10th vehicles I am pretty sure. You also may want to get the sensored motor and ESC so you can still crawl well. The non sensored motor will cog some of you do any slow crawling.

RC poster
    Sounds good, thanks again for you help