RC Enthusiast

Slash or Rustler - which one to purchase?

I am looking between the:

"SLASH 4X4 1/10 Scale High-Performance 4X4 Short Course Truck With Titan 12T 550 and XL-5 ESC"
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...sh-4x4-brushed

and the:

"Rustler 4X4 1/10 Scale High-Performance 4X4 Stadium Truck With Titan 12T 550 and XL-5 ESC"
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...ic/rustler-4x4

This would be for my 7 (almost 8) yr old son to use. He has a few smaller RC Cars/Trucks/Boat, but this would be fairly decent upgrade from what he has in regards to the cars/trucks. I have been to both of my local hobby shops to look at these trucks. At 1st I was set on the Slash before going in, but then they mentioned the Rustler as well being a good option.

From what I can see both of these are somewhat similar, but the Rustler having a wider stance and larger wheels.

I would say most of the driving would happen around our house 3/8" stone driveway, street, deep lawn - or down a wider trail leading to a great 'sand pit' with a lot of open space to run.

Is one of these going to be more stable and better for him to learn/advance with? (I know they have the learning mode as well).

Any thoughts and feedback would greatly be appreciated, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I would say most of the driving would happen around our house 3/8" stone driveway, street, deep lawn - or down a wider trail leading to a great 'sand pit' with a lot of open space to run.

Any thoughts and feedback would greatly be appreciated, thank you!
    Sounds like you want a 4WD Stampede.

No matter what, also recommend getting the VXL and not the brushed version.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Hello!
    I run with a group of 20-25 people with about all traxxas cars. We do drags, circle track, hill climbs, rally's, everything. I have seem both the 4x4 slash and the rustler run in all settings. I personally own a slash 4x4. I would recommend that slash. Very strong car, built well stock but easy to upgrade and repair, handles whatever settings you through at it. I jump it, crash it, river walk it, hill climb it, whatever you can think of. I agree with "Greatscott" though as well. For a younger kid who is unfamiliar and doesn't need to do 70+ MPH, the 4wd stampede would be a good route as well. More ground clearance, not as fast and just-as workable and upgradable. Hope this helps.

I would also vote 4x4 Stampede but I maybe alittle bias since I bought one for my 10yr son and he loves it.

RC Qualifier
    My son (5) and I have two 2wd Slashes. Love them. I'd like to get us a 4x4 Stampede next.

Whatever you decide, I would echo what Greatscott said and get the VXL brushless version. I think we went through two or three Titans before we realized they just don't hold up.

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate the responses so far! The jump from the brushed at $299 to the VXL at $485 is a pretty good jump in cost, one I am not sure I want to invest right now. I figure if he really enjoy this as much as his other smaller ones I can upgrade it slowly over time for him. If it is something that ends up sitting I will not feel so bad (but then again I will still use it, ha).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I appreciate the responses so far! The jump from the brushed at $299 to the VXL at $485 is a pretty good jump in cost, one I am not sure I want to invest right now. I figure if he really enjoy this as much as his other smaller ones I can upgrade it slowly over time for him. If it is something that ends up sitting I will not feel so bad (but then again I will still use it, ha).
    Just an FYI, each Titan we had lasted approximately three months and we were running them on hard packed clay with a thin layer of sand on top. I believe the sand is what destroyed the Titans.

RC Qualifier
    3month on a titan motor? Hot dang son, amazing stuff there.

I love my P4de but also like the low style of the Rusty4x4. You can't go wrong with either of those picks. I wouln't purchase a not VXL Traxxas.
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC Champion
    I would say the rustler 4x4. Donít own one but they are a very nice looking rig that should be perfect for a youngster. And like said, get the vxl. It has a training mode so your little one can learn to drive it and when he is capable of handling it you can then take it out of training mode and let him rip! This way you donít have to spend to upgrade the system when he gets tired of it being slow. Just some food for thought.