RC Qualifier

Good Lipo Batteries?

Dad and I are wondering what kind of Lipos to get for our Rustlers. We run Floureon quite often and they do well, but we want to try some better quality batteries that will provide a little more punch and power. He tried a Zee and one of the connectors melted on the second run, because the plastic is just not very heat resistant, and that is a problem I heard is quite common with inexpensive batteries. Any other suggestions?

I would recommend SMC Lipos. They are the best batteries for the money.

RC Qualifier
    I heard those are made of an inexpensive plastic. Are those going to melt on the second run?

Quote Originally Posted by RC_N3RD View Post
    I heard those are made of an inexpensive plastic. Are those going to melt on the second run?
    They shouldn't melt. I own a few of them and never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

Where did you hear that from? From everyone I know that runs them, they are great packs and are well built. My Gens Ace packs are on their last legs, and will be replaced by SMCs.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    SMC all the way!! Best lipos I have ever used! Ran the older 9k ones in a Summit and man the runtimes were phenomenal!!!

RC Qualifier
    Where did you hear that from?
    I watched several review videos on Youtube and several people said that they were made of an inexpensive plastic. And the Zee battery my Dad got is supposedly closely related to SMC. I know they are popular for their power, but as a basher, if I can get a $30 Floureon that will be more reliable, then why spend another $15-20 on a different battery that will melt. That's why I'm hesitant to buy an SMC.

I watched several review videos on Youtube and several people said that they were made of an inexpensive plastic. And the Zee battery my Dad got is supposedly closely related to SMC. I know they are popular for their power, but as a basher, if I can get a $30 Floureon that will be more reliable, then why spend another $15-20 on a different battery that will melt. That's why I'm hesitant to buy an SMC.
    Know a lot of people that use them, haven't heard any complains, and certainly nothing about melting.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I've been in RC off and on since its inception. All of my friends and I run SMC. I have for years. GensAce are also very, very good LiPo batteries. Take it from an old man with a lot of years of experience, SMC FTW. All the best, Doc
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Someone on Facebook ended up contacting me and sending me a battery from a company called Awanfi. The 2s Lipos are about $26 and from the few runs I've put on it, seems pretty good. Wondering if anyone else has heard of this company.

Someone on Facebook ended up contacting me and sending me a battery from a company called Awanfi. The 2s Lipos are about $26 and from the few runs I've put on it, seems pretty good. Wondering if anyone else has heard of this company.
    They seem to be giving out a lot of batteries to YouTubers. Never used them, they may be great, they may be terrible, I have no idea.

I personally don't use cheapo low C Lipos, because I value my house and my life too much.

Some scary stuff out there --
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 12-24-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    These Awanfi batteries claim to be 60c discharge, so not really low C rating. Of course I am taking their word for it at this point, but I do want to do some speed runs to see how it compares to other "60C" batteries which will just give me an idea of how realistic this rating is.

Also, it seems that a lot of people fear inexpensive batteries. While I do want to be cautious, I don't think it's as bad as most people make it out to be. I think Lipos have been around long enough that they aren't as hard to screw up, because it's a common technology. Like any other tech, it should become more safe and reliable over time. A common example is Floureon. A lot of people seem to be afraid of these batteries burning down their house, but my Dad and I have owned quite a few of them and had no such issues. My worst experience was when one melted, looks like it caught fire or something but it didn't. Just sat too long or something, idk. Of course, you should still be cautious and take proper safety measures, but I don't think we should hate on every battery that has less than a 50c rating or costs less than $50. Just my thoughts on that.

For the Awanfi specifically, it will be interesting seeing how well it holds up, and what happens at the end of it's life span.

Let us know how those are. I've seen a couple of Lipo fires in person, and both times the guy was using like a 30C battery. Of course those numbers don't really mean anything, but IMO if they can't claim some absurd C rating like the higher end batteries, that kinda tells you they don't have a lot of confidence in their batteries.

Anyway, everyone has a different risk/cost tolerance level, mine is just really low.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    I am a big fan of SMC! Call what you want, but I too have seen a couple of lipos go up in flames and man itís not a fun thing to watch!! Just be careful with those batteries and keep an eye on them. A few dollars isnít worth the risk of burning down your home or even your RC for that matter!!

RC poster
    pm me if you want to bash near knoxville TN
    Quick Question, I have a 2wd slash vxl that I have run on a 5000mah 3s lipo for months now.I just found something that said that its bad for my brushless motor if I continue to run it on 3s. I have an esc fan and its pretty cold where i live so not much is overheating... should i switch to 2s? Thanks for any help bc I am new to this hobby.

RC Qualifier
    You can run 3s just fine. Just keep an eye on the temps is all. The vxl is made to run both 2s and 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    They seem to be giving out a lot of batteries to YouTubers. Never used them, they may be great, they may be terrible, I have no idea.

I personally don't use cheapo low C Lipos, because I value my house and my life too much.

Some scary stuff out there --
    Sometimes it is tough to sort out the inexpensive stuff from the cheap stuff. There are some of us that are so hard-pressed to save a dime that they take unreasonable chances with their gear. The first thing I noticed about that pack was how think the ESC leads were, rarely will you see a pack like that with 16ga wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Mashburn View Post
    Quick Question, I have a 2wd slash vxl that I have run on a 5000mah 3s lipo for months now.I just found something that said that its bad for my brushless motor if I continue to run it on 3s. I have an esc fan and its pretty cold where i live so not much is overheating... should i switch to 2s? Thanks for any help bc I am new to this hobby.
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

First, if you look a little ways up from the Rustler section, there is one for the 2WD Slash (also one for the 4WD Slash). For a topic that is completely unrelated (your post from the rest of this thread), it is always best to just start a new thread, and not hijack someone else's.

As far as you question goes, it really depends on your running conditions. The best way to tell if you are doing damage to your motor is by the amount of heat it produces, and the best way to tell this is with a temperature gun. Generally you want your motor to be below 160*/f (~ 71*C), hotter than that and you will start to damage the motor. It is good practice to take temps on your motor anytime you change anything in the drive train, this includes the motor, ESC, battery voltage, pinion, spur, transmission rebuild, wheels and bearings. Checking you motor temps every five minutes or so for the first pack or two after a change makes sure you are not going to fry anything.

RC Qualifier

Good Lipo Batteries?

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye on this battery. Personally I'd have to get at least 10 solid runs out of it before I even begin to actually recommend it. Just noting my experience so far. Also, there is of course a chance of any battery catching on fire, but again, think they are much safer than they used to be.

The Fake Chinese Lipo scam video shows that the Lipo battery is actually Li-ion cells. That's pretty cheaply done, but can't say it's dangerous.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-26-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: content

Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye on this battery. Personally I'd have to get at least 10 solid runs out of it before I even begin to actually recommend it. Just noting my experience so far. Also, there is of course a chance of any battery catching on fire, but again, think they are much safer than they used to be.

The Fake Chinese Lipo scam video shows that the Lipo battery is actually Li-ion cells. That's pretty cheaply done, but can't say it's dangerous.
    I'm not sure how you can claim that it isn't dangerous. What is the maximum charge voltage of the cells installed in that case? Is it 4.2 Volts or 3.6 Volts? And whatever the cells are this time, how do you know they will be the same type next time such a pack is purchased? The extreme low cost guys play a very dangerous game - one that can cost much more than a decent battery pack.

...Also, it seems that a lot of people fear inexpensive batteries. While I do want to be cautious, I don't think it's as bad as most people make it out to be. I think Lipos have been around long enough that they aren't as hard to screw up, because it's a common technology. Like any other tech, it should become more safe and reliable over time....
    It's a nice thought but has not much connection to reality. A factor as small as incorrect humidity in the production facility can cause an entire run of cells to be bad. More often than not it is the quality control that makes the difference than the basic construction materials and methods. This is where the cheapos typically fall down.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-26-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure how you can claim that it isn't dangerous.
    Let me clarify. I wasn't trying to say that it definitely isn't dangerous. Just saying I don't know. It's not the first time I have seen RCs run on Li-ions and as long as the voltage and amperage are high enough to handle the motor, it should be fine, but I'm not sure what the amperage of those things are, so it could explode as soon as you get off road.

It's a nice thought but has not much connection to reality. A factor as small as incorrect humidity in the production facility can cause an entire run of cells to be bad. More often than not it is the quality control that makes the difference than the basic construction materials and methods. This is where the cheapos typically fall down.
    What I was trying to say about battery production is that it isn't getting any harder. Just imagine how long it would take technology to progress if it was just as difficult as it was 30 years ago. The more something is done, the easier it is to research and replicate. I would be very concerned if Lipos are just as dangerous now as they were when they were first used.