RC poster

Need Motor/ ESC Upgrade Recommendations !

I have a 4x4 Slash with just about everything on it upgraded including the chassis. Current motor is a Tekin Pro 4 with i believe a hobby wing ESC. Currently, you can punch the throttle and get 1-2 good launches out of it and then the car goes into limp mode and only produces about 30% power until it cools down. Im looking for a fast setup that i can run for a good period of time. Been out of the RC world for a year and a half or so and don't really know whats good and what is not anymore.

I'd like the car to be pretty wicked fast still but able to run longer then 3 minutes haha. Curious if i should upgrade just the ESC or both ESC and motor. All input would be great, thanks!

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I recommend the following:
    Castle Creations Mamba Monster X ESC & the Castle Creations 2650kv motor. Geared at 18/52. Running 3S LiPo. It's a beautiful thing. Runs cool, fantastic runtime (20-40 minutes), "pretty wicked fast."

On 4s the thing is just too fast.

All the best, Doc
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I will look at that combination, thank you!!

RC Qualifier
    Same as above, the 2650 is a great all around motor. Monster X esc should run it nice and long with no issues.
    Id suspect about 15 min run times depending on the mAh battery used. (3s or 4s will be the sweet spot for this motor)

RC Qualifier
    Also donít forget the 2400kv sct combo. Itís a great setup for all I have read about on it both here and other forums and places. The 220kv setup could be another option as well. I do personally know that that setup will run cool for as long as you want. Itís a matter or preference.

I use a 2650 castle combo in my Monster Slash Project but if cost is an issue or you aren't looking for insane power. A very powerful alternative is the 1415 2400kv Castle combo. Which comes in 2 flavors. One alittle cheaper the other alot cheaper.

http://www.castlecreations.com/mamba...bo-010-0160-01

http://www.castlecreations.com/sidew...or-010-0164-07
    Last edited by zedorda; 12-01-2018 at 02:19 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks for all current recommendations. I double checked, i am currently running a Tekin Pro 4, 4650KV motor with a hobbywing ESC. I really dont have any issues with the motor, maybe someone has an idea of a good ESC that will run it without problem?

RC Qualifier
    BumbumbumbumbumBUM SIDEWINDER 8TH!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cappy9672 View Post
    Thanks for all current recommendations. I double checked, i am currently running a Tekin Pro 4, 4650KV motor with a hobbywing ESC. I really dont have any issues with the motor, maybe someone has an idea of a good ESC that will run it without problem?
    Do you know what hobbywing esc model is in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    That motor is a bit too high a KV IMO, for s slash 4x4. You want something in the 2200-3800kv range. With that said, you may want to look into the 2400kv and a sidewinder 1/8th ESC. I believe they make a combo that has this setup with a 5mm shaft. This is really what is needed for a 4x4 truck of this size and weight. JMO, but to me the motor you have is a bit too high of a KV.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    That motor is a bit too high a KV IMO, for s slash 4x4. You want something in the 2200-3800kv range. With that said, you may want to look into the 2400kv and a sidewinder 1/8th ESC. I believe they make a combo that has this setup with a 5mm shaft. This is really what is needed for a 4x4 truck of this size and weight. JMO, but to me the motor you have is a bit too high of a KV.
    Combo is the 2200 with the sw8. Actually the only way to get a sensorless 1515 from America is to buy the Sidewinder 8th combo.
    I suggest you don’t buy a 2400 and an sw8 because the sw8 2200 combo is only $150. Also the 2400 connectors can’t plug in
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 12-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Iíd go the 2200kv route then for sure. I know theyíll handle up to 6s no problem.

RC poster
    I guess i dont understand KV! I figured higher number was better but that seems incorrect ?

Another thread that might help.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...light=misnomer

Highly suggest these videos for details about motors and KV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y199oKTlwxU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcuhdkCucGA - 12:48
    Last edited by zedorda; 12-06-2018 at 11:32 PM.

RC poster
    thank you !

RC poster
    Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System with 1410-3800kV Motor on 2s lipos is pretty fun

RC Qualifier
    I had the sv3 and the 3800kv motor and the ESC ended up burning up due to the weight of the slash 4x4. I wouldnít recommend it for sake of the weight of the slash 4x4. The best option IMO, if we are speaking about castle creations, would be the sidewinder 1/8th as suggested by Peanut. Much more robust and will handle up to 6s. JMHO.