Thread: UDR v2.0

RC Enthusiast

UDR v2.0

Are there any expectations for a new version of the UDR to be released anytime soon? I feel like right around after Christmas time is when Traxxas released the 8s version of the X-Maxx, after it had been out for about a year in 6s trim. Just curious if we might be seeing an 8s version of the UDR with a beefed up drivetrain? There's a few parts that could potentially be shared. Any thoughts?

My money says not a chance. Upgraded parts, very possible. 8s, no way, that involves a wheel reinvention. $$$$$$$$$ Survive 80 mph crashes at -15 lbs??? Consider this, most owners don't use this truck for its intended/designed purpose, rather, they bash, trying their best to "tune" the desert racer out of the truck. A far better gift to the masses (and cheaper) would be to get a desert style race program set up, Traxxas trucks only. I see that opening up the floodgates on UDR sales, maybe through a network of LHS collaboration. Set the course up correctly, 40 mph is plenty sufficient, keeping it at 4s. Kinda like the Trophy Spec class they have in 1:1. And you only need about an acre to pull it off. Replicate the first couple hundred miles of the Baja 1k and the San Felipe 250 whoop section. Truck setup and driver skill, just like 1:1. A friend and I begged and pleaded to the Traxxas people at RCX about 4 yrs ago for them to build one of these style trucks, but 1/10 scale, and here it is. So heck, maybe we will see 8s racers one day!!! Maybe squeaky wheels do get grease.......

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    40 mph is plenty sufficient, keeping it at 4s.
    Are most people running 4s even though the truck is rated for 6s?

A friend and I begged and pleaded to the Traxxas people at RCX about 4 yrs ago for them to build one of these style trucks, but 1/10 scale, and here it is.
    The UDE is really considered 1/10 scale?? I would say more like 1/7~1/6.

RC Competitor

4s lipo

Quote Originally Posted by Tulo52 View Post

I'm all 4s.....plenty of speed.....6s and your asking for broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulo52 View Post

Clarification: Wishing for a 1/10 TT, figuring the could use some of the Slash format as many of the scratch builders do (Slash 4x front end parts, now with Metalconcepts arms), they went larger as you state, ~1/7. 1/6 is that other brand that also makes 1/5 scale gassers.

RC Qualifier
    It’s true it’s made to run in dirt and sand.... people bashing this the UDR is a waste.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-KN-EVIL View Post
    Itís true itís made to run in dirt and sand.... people bashing this the UDR is a waste.
    Not true. There is no waste in rc as long as your having fun. Heck take an xo1 to a skate park. You might destroy it frist thing, but as long as your having fun who is to say thats a waste.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Qualifier
    Clarification: Wishing for a 1/10 TT, figuring the could use some of the Slash format as many of the scratch builders do (Slash 4x front end parts, now with Metalconcepts arms), they went larger as you state, ~1/7. 1/6 is that other brand that also makes 1/5 scale gassers.
    In a way I'm surprised it never went this route, but I suppose traxxas couldn't reasonably fit all the stuff they wanted into the scale. It would have been nice though, with the yeti score, baja rey, and UDR all in the same scale class there might have been potential for something to start. It's harder to get people excited with only one rig to choose from in a race spec.

Personally I'm hoping for more of a platinum/ultimate edition. Same electronics(upgrade the servo?) but with most of the basic hop-ups covered.

Different size trucks eliminates competition. IMHO, if they had their act together they'd be promoting racing of their own trucks. Corner the market simply because that is what it would be spec'd for, the UDR. Sparking the concept and generating the following. Easy enough to spec a variety of classes, via batteries or electronics.

RC poster
    I couldn't imagine running on 4s. I only run mine on 6s. and I put a 32 or 34 tooth pinion. its whatever the biggest pinion is available for it and I got it to 61mph on the road no other mods. I will say It burns up rear drive shafts often tho.

RC Qualifier
    I run mine on 6s only (partially due to my 2s batteries no longer taking charge). 6s makes it good for speed runs and gives you plenty of power to slide around. If you know what you're doing and don't try to bash the UDR, you will never break a part aside from wear and tear. I finally got my UDR and drive it like a desert truck should be driven, off road with lots of bumps and decent jumps. Nothing insane though. The most insane thing that's happened to mine was a roll at 50mph (dad thought he could handle it and then proved quite the opposite), my dad braked hard after a speed run and then turned the tires while braking leading to instant traction roll. Nothing broke! This thing is a tank when driven properly (just like everything else)! Lately I've been trying to copy some of BJ Baldwin's Recoil stuff with my UDR.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    I just blew well over a grand on this thing a few weeks ago so I certainly hope they don't make a version 2.. I guess at this stage it still wouldn't make sense for them to do so. As mentioned previously there is too big a market for spares and aftermarket upgrades which I'm all for instead.

Regarding battery usage.. I only run 6s. Plenty of power and speed. But you don't have to run flat out all the time. Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to use it.

Though a mate of mine just got a Losi Super Rock Rey 8s truck and it's a substantial bit of kit. Definitely more scary than my UDR but also somewhat overkill.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitBasher90 View Post
    Not true. There is no waste in rc as long as your having fun. Heck take an xo1 to a skate park. You might destroy it frist thing, but as long as your having fun who is to say thats a waste.
    You are 100% correct. I race and bash every single RC I own. Also 6s or nothing in the UDR
    Slash 4x4 XMaxx Ford GT TRX-4 UDR

RC poster
    Betcha there is a UDR platinum, or something similar to the versions of the Slash

I also bet there will be other Pro-scale offerings.

RC Racer
    I would like to see a race series. I would give it a shot, and agree that there should be a 4S class, and I suppose there could be an unlimited class too, but the racetrack dimensions would probably need to be adjusted.

RC poster
    YES, its meant to run in the dirt and does it well. kick up plenty of dust and unending doughnuts! Always a people pleaser at the park or wherever i drive it. Can it bash??? Absolutely! and quite unbreakable(from my experience after having it over a year now) I did replace some things, not because they actually broke but were about to... LOL In conclusion, great overall truck. worth every penny I spent on it and all the upgrades I put into it.