RC Competitor

Custom Trophy Truck Build, questions about parts...

Hey,
    I am planning on building a solid trophy truck from the ground up with a frame made from 3/16" steel rod, and I am planning on using the slash 2wd chassis mounted sideways with a diff locker. On the front I will use a Slash 2wd front end with a rustler steering rack, and rear shocks. I am planning on using the Proline Raptor body (for the yeti tt), but I am having trouble finding what to use for the rear end. I need a solid axle that is the right width, and I need trailing arms that will hook up to it. I would like to use mainly plastic for the sake of cost, but I might end up upgrading if it can't hold up. I would like to use yeti tires since they're bigger. Does anyone know what sort of shocks I should use on the rear? Thanks in advance for any help! I will keep updates on this thread during the build process too...
    P.S. Inspiration for this build came from CyconXC
    Last edited by FireSlashRacer; 12-01-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot some details (oops)
    I quit using auto-correct. It's changed everythong

RC poster
    no offence man, you would have less headaches if you just spent the money for a UDR..... more so if youve never scratch built an rc before

RC Competitor
    I know, building a truck will be a challenge, but here the Udr is like $900

Quote Originally Posted by FireSlashRacer View Post
    How far north are you? The inflation to canada shouldnt be that much unless the shipping is a lot.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Competitor
    We are central Canada, but our dollar is only worth like 74 cents right now

RC Competitor
    The website says $991.60 for a UDR

RC Qualifier
    It's a pretty cheap price to pay for the warranty and support that Traxxas offers and I'm speaking from personal experiance without going into what has been replaced at no cost. Traxxas has been more then generous with any warranty I've submitted and the reason I will continue to purchase there product.

We are central Canada, but our dollar is only worth like 74 cents right now
    Ah, im ignorant when it comes to extange rates. I knew the numbers would be higher but that it was a proportional rate, like the value of the product stays the same and at even extange rate a udr at 680 is about 900 can but your weekly wages and such would refect a simamalar proportion with average wages.

The custom slash based dessert truck has been done a few times. Im sure a few of those build threads are still around on this forum and maybe a thread or two on rccrawler, folk on that site have built many home made custom stuff im sure ive seen a few slash solid axle builds.
    ------

Check out MAC FAB's threads and good luck on the build. I wouldn't get hung up on the shocks, have something in mind at the start but figure that part out towards the end. Look forward to seeing your progress!
    MTFBWY

RC Competitor
    The problem with cost is I am not old enough to have a real job yet, my income is reffing minor hockey. That's probably around $100-$150 a month.

How much money have you already saved up? What are you doing for electronics? Be ready for 3s batteries, choose accordingly. Wanting to build your truck SCORE TT sized makes your life a little more challenging because of parts selection, bigger than a Slash. A truck built from 3/16" rod when done will weigh about 12-13 lbs, pretty much killing the plastic rear end format unless its a trailer queen or driven conservatively. Metal Concepts RC makes the good metal rear end and links, do a Baja Rey if you are bent on plastic. Jato arms up front using rear shocks is the ticket there (not RPM), and the stock shock tower because you need the flex. You could run the Rey rear links to save money as well. Yeti rear shocks will get the job done out back, with shock tuning. Many like the Losi SC center diff rather than the Slash going sideways (it will be screaming when going fast, already is has a ratio of 2.72 before getting reduced again at the rear end, and the set screws on the spool seem to always come lose in a heavy rig. I made the spool piece and welded it to the shaft to solve this issue. Like most, you may want to build a stick cage first to be sure the body fits properly on your cage. Its great to say, built, not bought, especially if it works well. Sure you could get the UDR and probably end up money ahead, but then you simply have another tasty store bought cookie instead of home made from the jar.

RC Competitor
    Well, so far we have a few options. The most expensive and most stressful (but also most rewarding) would be to go ahead and build the trophy truck. Second would be to build a sort of "desert buggy" style frame out of steel rod, still using the stock suspension to keep things simple. Third, and my dad and I have talked about this, would be to pick up a TRX 4 chassis kit, and we would get the experience of building a rig without the stress of finding and fitting all of the parts, but again that would be least rewarding because it would be the same as every other trx 4.

The problem with cost is I am not old enough to have a real job yet, my income is reffing minor hockey. That's probably around $100-$150 a month.
    Even with a full time job the udr is a pricey piece. I dont own one or any big rc.

You can make a regular slash dessert truck esque with a higher and different body and wider wheels. Or You could get some cheap doner parts of one of those wl amazonebaychina 1/10 dessert buggy thing.
    Last edited by IanRose; 12-04-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    ------