RC poster

1st time lipo owner seeking advice

Just bought a couple of lipos for the 1st time ever, for my rustler VXL and am after some general advice re: maintenance and long term care for em.

I've grabbed these traxxas lipos;

- 3S 11.1v 6400MAH
    - 2S 7.4v 10000MAH

I'm currently running the trucks every other day - if not daily, and have an ez-peak dual charger, which seems to take alot of the technicality of charging these out of my hands, which is ideal.

This is what i've picked up from reading through other forums so far, and would appreciate if anyone can correct any of my errors or add anything to the list;

1. Ensure low-voltage detection is always activated
    2. If leaving batteries for more than a few days, either discharge or run them down before charging in storage mode
    3. For battery longevity, when low-voltage mode is detected and battery output reduced, remove and charge the battery to full

And these are some random questions I have;

1. Will it effect the battery in any way if i charge it even if it's got say 75% charge left in it? Or am i better running it down before charging again?
    2. There are a lot of safety warnings about storing lipos etc. I've currently got a tool box, with compartments that house the lipos perfectly - am i asking for trouble by storing these lipos next to one another in the box? It remains out of the sun, at room temp 99% of the time.

I think that's more than enough for now! Appreciate all and any feedback.

RC Qualifier
    Your first 3 are spot on.

your other 2:

1. It's fine, charge away.

2. I would get some lipo bags or an ammo can (I have one of those). I store all mine next to each other also. No issues.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Your first 3 are spot on.

your other 2:

1. It's fine, charge away.

2. I would get some lipo bags or an ammo can (I have one of those). I store all mine next to each other also. No issues.
    Yup, this guy is correct in every way. Just when you start to collect a lot of lipos, I wouldn’t keep them all together, because if one goes, they all go.

RC poster
    Thanks guys!

Couple other questions;

a. 5000mah 3s lipo - how long would you expect the battery to run compared to a 6400mah?
    b. locally, a 6400mah 3s lipo is 2x the cost of a 5000mah 3s lipo - logic says to buy 2 5000's, over 1 6400 yeah?

RC Qualifier
    Absolutely. You’ll save weight using a smaller battery, and when you swap out mid run you give the truck’s motor a chance to cool (as that’s the only heat issue you’re having) anyway, that’s simple. Whatever the ratio of 5000 divided by 6400 is, that’s how much run time you’ll get.

Just googled it. You’ll be getting 0.78% of the run time. So multiply that by two and you’re looking at 156% of your original runtime if you buy two packs.

And I know warrenty is an issue where you’re located, so if you happen to lose one battery, you can still run the other, instead of being down a whole battery that was the same price as the two you can buy.

RC poster
    Wish i had of asked on here 1st before impulse buying these 2 lipos - coulda got 4 5kmah 3s lipos for the price i paid for these 2!

Ah well, ya live, ya learn!

RC poster
    Just did a bit of research, the Rustler VXL apparently isn't compatible with their 5,000mah 3s lipo... so i'm forced to go for the 4000, which is almost 1/3 of the price... so ultimately gives me more run time for the same price BUT i'm going to end up with batteries coming out my EARS!

How many batteries do ya'll have?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OWDSKL View Post
    Just did a bit of research, the Rustler VXL apparently isn't compatible with their 5,000mah 3s lipo... so i'm forced to go for the 4000, which is almost 1/3 of the price... so ultimately gives me more run time for the same price BUT i'm going to end up with batteries coming out my EARS!

How many batteries do ya'll have?
    Lol! Batteries coming out of your ears. Haven’t heard that one before. What do you mean not compatable? They should be totally fine voltage wise.. unless it doesn’t fit in the battery box then yeah that’s a problem go with the 4000

I have 4. 2 Traxxas 5000’s(3s) (new generation) and 2 hobbystar 5200’s(3s). Traxxas ones are 6 months old but the black styling (not the red, those all died) and the hobbystar’s are either a year and a half or 2 years old. None of my batteries are swelling at all. I used to have a lot more but hobbystar was the only one to outlast my old fleet of onyx, red Traxxas, and floureons. Wait correction, I do still have a 6400mah onyx 3s lipo chillin around but it’s not doing so hot. Internal resistance is through the roof and it’s horrible performance shows it! I always charge that one in the ammo box.

My batteries go through many runs in vehicles that, yes, demand more than the batteries can give, but they stayed strong and proved they’re good packs. All the “decent” and “sub par” ones died.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 12-04-2018 at 09:23 PM.

RC poster
    According to the traxxas battery guide it isnt compativale, so presumably it doesnt fit in the battery box.

Right well I've emailed a few hobbystar suppliers in US to see if they can ship to NZ - if so, I'm going to test out a couple of those bad boys.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OWDSKL View Post
    According to the traxxas battery guide it isnt compativale, so presumably it doesnt fit in the battery box.

Right well I've emailed a few hobbystar suppliers in US to see if they can ship to NZ - if so, I'm going to test out a couple of those bad boys.

Thanks!

Bad on me! I forgot the rustler battery tray is a shorter one so you need to get stubbier tall batteries instead of short long ones that I use for restricted by height platforms. I’ll look around to give you other options besides that 4000 (whichll still be great)
    https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteri...o-battery.html
    This one fits, with 5mm to spare (battery tray on yours is 143mm long) so it won’t shift around and you won’t need much foam.
    If 4000’s are 0.77% of the price or lower, I’d pick those because then you’re saving a little extra cash just by putting in a smaller battery, and also you save weight. It’s all about the ratios. 4000/5200= 0.77, so you won’t wanna pay any more than 0.77% of the 5200 for a 4000, it’d be more economical to go with the 5200. But that’s both 3s. Same goes for 2s, but don’t compare a 2s pack to a 3s pack price wise. Sorry about the bad explanation, I’m trying my best.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 12-05-2018 at 09:01 AM.

This is the "Traxxas LiPo" section, not the LiPos for Traxxas vehicles section.
    If you'd like to discuss other manufacturer's batteries, please move to the correct vehicle section (if vehicle-specific) or to the Traxxas Alley (if a general LiPo question.)
    Thanks!
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    Ooper. You can delete my posts, it was my bad. Slipped my mind!

No worries. We ALL color outside the lines some time or another.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    No worries. We ALL color outside the lines some time or another.
    I agree to the philosophical part of that statement.

But physically when I was in school I could never color in the lines

RC poster
    I'm completely new to RC...but I thought storage mode did the discharge for you and took the batteries to an appropriate "sitting on shelf" for a while voltage.

Also why do we need bags for batteries? I'm about 2 weeks into this hobby and dont know much

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    I'm completely new to RC...but I thought storage mode did the discharge for you and took the batteries to an appropriate "sitting on shelf" for a while voltage.
    Yes. Traxxas lipo chargers are suppose to when using storage mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    Also why do we need bags for batteries? I'm about 2 weeks into this hobby and dont know much
    Extra safety measure. A damaged LiPo can catch fire, also charging a bad LiPo can catch fire. Check them after a really "bad crash". Dropping a battery could damage it. LiPo batteries are safe if taken care of.