RC Competitor

Question Brushed 4x4 rustler motor upgrade

Hey all. I wanted to get the new 4x4 rustler, but just couldnít do the 400+ for the vxl model. I know I know, quit being cheap :P Iím. Iím now ready for some brushless power and speed. Should I just pony up for the vxl combo or is there another setup you guys recommend.

I have a Kinexsis 3000kv brushless system in my Force rc truck, itís pretty nice, tons of power and speed for 70 bucks. Any of you all have any experience with that brand?

I apologize if I shouldnít be asking about another brand motor, please let me know if ive done something wrong and Iíll edit my post. Thanks

Minus the motor esc the vxl and xl-5 rustler is not the same truck. I think if you wanted to run a different motor combo you would be better off getting the vxl and selling the motor combo. A brand new vxl-3s combo sells for about 130 on eBay. Just my opinion

RC Racer
    I did the same thing an bought the brushed rustler, ran it 3 times and upgraded to the sc 3800 castle combo. love it, plenty of different combos to look at to

RC Competitor
    Scottc, sounds like a sound investment. How does the castle combo work with the brushed version? I know on traxxas model page it says the brushed version is vxl ready, did you have to change anything for the drive train? I was asking about just getting the vxl combo cause I can go to battlefield rc, closest LHS to me which is an hour away, and do the trade in program and get the vxl combo for around 125.

Do you think the brushed rustler 4x4 could handle a 3000kv motor? Cause if you think it’d be okay I’ll just get another Kinexsis 3000kv combo for tower hobbies for 72 dollars, it’s worked very well in my Force rc truck, I’ve bashed the snot out of it with that system in all weather conditions, rain, mud, sand, loose gravel, snow! Has held up well.

RC Racer
    I think the brushed version will handle the 3000 + kv just fine and I thought about that same Kinexsis as well but found the castle combo on amazon for 115.00
    I wouldjust get another Kinexsis 3000kv combo from tower.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the advice brother! I’ll plan on getting another Kinexsis 3000kv combo soon. Have a great weekend

RC Champion
    I was actually looking at doing something similar, until I compared the differences between the 2 trucks.

If you didn't want the velineon combo, it would've been better to just get the VXL and sell the combo.
    The brushed version, beside the turnbuckles has too many things that have been cheaped out that makes it not worth saving a few dollars.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk