RC Enthusiast

Unk Tob's TRX4 Bronco Build

Hi all! I've been out of the hobby for awhile, but my 1/16th e-Revo started to pull me back into it, and then I saw the X-Maxx and started saving up. Bought that in the spring of this year, did a crazy paint job on it (I forgot how much I like painting!) but the scale stuff really caught my eye. Finally bit the bullet and bought a TRX-4 Bronco.

Of course, one of the biggest points of these is the scale look, so I also got a few goodies to go along with it! (Thanks company employee stock purchase plan!)

Parts so far: Traxxas- full light kit, chrome mirrors, TQi Bluetooth module (Does anybody know if you can pair multiple Bluetooth modules to the app? I have one in my X-Maxx controller too), 2S 4000mah battery (I know... but I like my 2 Traxxas Live chargers for my sets of batteries for the X-Maxx, although I intended to order the 5000mah, but my LHS ordered the wrong one), and the cell phone holder (Been looking for that for awhile!). Non-Traxxas- Power HD 23kg metal gear servo, XBERSTSR GRC radiator/grill plate, XBERSTSR GRC Engine hood vents, and EZ start power switch. On the way & waiting on arrivals: Traxxas- chrome bumper push bar, chrome side strips, spare tire mount, Injora LED light bar (Saw someone post their photos (can't find, so sorry I can't provide credit to the poster) and I agree with that person that round lights for the roof seem more period correct. (Just my opinion)

Next steps- Figure out what roof rack works the best on the bronco, 1/10th scale accessories for that, although I'm still on the fence if I want to do the roof rack at all. Concerns- more top heavy weight and does it really look like it belongs on the Bronco? Hmmm...

Big next step, which I'm debating on which path to take- Is what I want to do with the paint job for the new body.

I'm leaning towards a very stock looking metallic Blue with white paint job, or trying to scale down my very complex paint job to fit the Bronco. (Photo of Xmaxx project for reference)

My concerns with this more involved paint job- 1) Will this type of logo'd up theme really go well on a scale crawler. 2) All those Boise State logos are painted, and I don't know if my Cricut vinyl plotter/cutter will scale small enough for that level of detail, or even if there'd be enough vinyl to actually stick and do a good job acting as a paint mask.

I'm open to suggestions in terms of the route for the paint job. (please no snarky comments about Boise State. We all like what we like.)

After that, I'm sure I'll want a few upgrades to help lower the CG especially for that front end. I'm thinking Samix, (Since I like their black plated brass, since to me just brass pieces underneath don't look very realistic), but again, open to suggestions there. I'm also thinking of figuring out what 2S battery will fit in the front tray, again to help shift some weight forward.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

RC Racer
    Man, I got no where near that skill. That X maxx looks killer!

Traxxas Employee TraxxasMacgyver's Avatar
    Man that Xmaxx looks awesome. Ill be following this, looking forward to the bronco build.

RC Racer
    Good luck on the project, XMaxx looks great.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah, that X-Maxx was one crazy time consuming paint job! lol If interested in the play by play, I posted to show the process in the photo thread. Currently last page, about 8 up from the bottom of the page: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-Gallery/page3

I played around in the Forza Horizon 4 with the 1968(?) Bronco, (I pretty much always try to design my paint jobs using the awesome paint tools in Forza games on my Xbox!), but since I wanted the classic 2 tone paint scheme as the base, (although I was looking at tri-toning it with the college's colors of blue, orange and white), and I just couldn't get the logos to look right, without making them too small. Too small and my Circuit cutter/plotter just can't keep the detail. Considered doing a one color logo, since that had a chance of being small enough, but it just didn't look right. So I decided on sticking with the classic two tone paint. (plus, wasn't sure about spending another 20-30 hours on a paint job right now. LOL)

Here's after the window masks are installed. (Man.. why is this always so difficult! lol So hard to see the edges, without marking up the outside a ton, which makes it harder to see if all my seams are pressed fully down.)

I didn't get a photo of the two-tone paint mask, but here's one of the more exciting parts for me of doing a paint job (and a bit nervous about how many little problems there are and how it turned out), removing the outer film! Love this part!

Here's the finished paint job. (Basic, but looks good overall):

Here's from the back left 3/4 view. If you look closely you can see a spot that I didn't notice where the blue got into a gap that must have come loose on my masking towards the front left of the shell, and where some paint peeled up when removing the border tape around the window.

The other side... there's a much bigger goof! Had to paint inside, since it is freezing where I live, so I set up a makeshift paint booth in my bathroom. I didn't really have a good place to hold it while painting the blue, (usually my racing themes have a different color front & back) so I was struggling holding & moving it around while painting it, and I dropped it mid spray! I re-grabbed it to catch it mid-air and save it, but ended up marring the paint. The resulting fixing efforts and paint gave it this weird bubble look in that spot. Someday I might have to try making a marble finish, where you blot the paint with a plastic bag after you spray it then follow it up with a slightly different shade of color. You can also see more issues with the trim around the window on this side too. Might get the RC4WD chrome rear window trim.

Simple paint job, but this isn't a good time of year for painting! lol (I would need a space heater, then maybe paint in my garage.) Not great ventilation in the bathroom, so I was certainly trying to hurry. I am guessing I would have either not made some of these mistakes if I was painting outside as usual, or I would have seen some of these other bleed throughs and spent more time scraping them off with my Xacto knife.

Anyway, despite the flaws, I still am fairly okay with the outcome. Now on to actually building it and putting on some these crazy scale pieces!

Speaking of- it sure is nice that the Bronco body comes with a sheet saying what all the accessories for the body are.... Wouldn't it be great if they also had that listed on Traxxas' website page for the clear body? I missed the rear panel and front grill, so I now am waiting on those parts.

Speaking of parts, I bought a bunch of stuff from RC4WD for my Bronco! Wow! There are so many little scale touches you can get for these things! Crazy cool! I completely blew through my budget already, just on scale parts! So sold more stocks so I can do some actual performance upgrades! Looked at the options, but I decided I don't like the look of straight brass parts. All this time, money and effort to add scale details for realism, but then throw a bunch of brass parts underneath, (which are clearly visible when crawling)? So I bit the bullet and got some parts from Samix, which are brass parts coated black, so they look good too, in my opinion. I see videos of these things wheeling up as they go up a steep incline and tumbling over backwards, so I am just starting off with brass on the front end. We'll see how that goes.

Off to do some work, then will start the build with the scale parts tonight!

RC Racer
    Great looking trucks!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic View Post
    Great looking trucks!
    Thanks! Made more progress on the new blue and white body. Need to get some more pics and update.

From a standing distance, it won’t be too noticeable. Just don’t take close-up photos, or with the sun directly shining on it. ��
    I ordered the new Pro-Line 1965 Land Cruiser body for my Defender, and will probably take it up to my in-laws, and see if my father-in-law’s shed is warm enough to paint in, since I don’t have an indoor option. I usually wait until spring/summer to do paint jobs, but I’d like to be one of the first few guys to get this new FJ body painted up and working.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all!

So a couple of well overdue updates!

I was looking at the light kit for the Bronco, and something just seemed off to me.

Then I looked at some photos people posted of their Broncos at night, and sure enough, my suspicions were confirmed. The lights look good overall, but they do tend to look like single LED's creating a spot of light. lol So, I bought some model paint with a silver/chrome finish and painted the inside of the bezels.

I also noticed that the circuit board for the front running lights were coated, so I figured they'd be safe to paint too, and after painting, they work fine!

Of course, I had to do the same to the rear tail light/brake light area!

I still need to get a good photo of them lit up, (I've tried but the photos have turned out terrible so far, but I'll try again) and I kick myself for not getting a photo of them lit up before painting, so I can see if it really helped or not. Should help spread that dot of light around some. If nothing else, it does look a little more realistic. lol

I did all that before Christmas, but didn't get around to posting, since I just got back. I have also done a few more things, and am working on finishing some stuff up, then I'll take more photos and update again... hopefully soon!

One odd thing- my wires were really stretched out for the driver's side tail light, so much so that it didn't light up, and while trying to see if I could fix it, the wires completely came off. Now I have to try to fix it and solder on new really thin wires (and extend them). Has anyone else run into this issue with the Traxxas light LED light kit for the Bronco?

More to come!

RC poster
    That bronco is awesome! I could never paint a body like that! Iím not real good at painting. I would pay you to do one for me like that lol. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RPMx1000 View Post
    That bronco is awesome! I could never paint a body like that! Iím not real good at painting. I would pay you to do one for me like that lol. Great job!
    Thanks RPMx1000! It is something I like to do, but only occasionally. I'm afraid to make it worth it for me, I'd have to charge waaaay more than the paint job is worth. LOL It is fun to do, but boy, by the time I'm done, I am really happy that I'm done.