RC Enthusiast

Summit Brushless - Yes or No?

Hi. I've been looking into getting a brushless system for my Summit. First of all, is it a good upgrade? I have a 14.4v DeWalt installed as of now. It made a world of change over stock. I still want more speed though! I still want to have the insane low end torque and smoothness of a brushed system. Do brushless systems still offer that? Second, what is a good system? From what I've seen, the MMX seems the be the best system. I kinda want something cheaper though. Final question. How does a sensorless system preform? Obviously, sensored will be better. Just want to know what everyone's experience is.

Thanks you in advance!!!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Yes yes and so much yes!!! Has been my favorite vehicle of all time. I went Castle MMX 2200 sensored and itís amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AMOuellette View Post
    Yes yes and so much yes!!! Has been my favorite vehicle of all time. I went Castle MMX 2200 sensored and itís amazing.

Ok! Thanks for your response. One more thing I'm wondering is, how has your drivetrain held up? I have everything in my drivetrain stock.

RC Qualifier
    As long as you set the ESC up correctly, as in setting punch control to 100%, and set a good throttle curve as to not make it hard on the drivetrain, as well as setting the slipper clutch, you will be just fine with the stock axles and drivetrain. The 2200kv setup sensored is the way to go. Definitely worth the money and also wakes the Summit up a bunch. I am still running an 18v rigid drill motor myself, but have an MMM ESC as well. It isnít a speed demon, but that isnít what I use my Summit for. Have a slash 4x4 setup as a buggy for that!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GengarMan57 View Post
    Ok! Thanks for your response. One more thing I'm wondering is, how has your drivetrain held up? I have everything in my drivetrain stock.
    I snapped a few Shafts but not often.

RC Racer
    I have been running my Summit brushless with the MMX combo for over a year now. After some trial and error I finally got it dialed in and have been having a blast and no breakage issues. 222 is correct, punch and throttle curve adjustment are crucial. I was breaking the stock long and short axles regularly at the diff end. They all broke on one side where the cross pin goes through the Diff CV output drive. I finally figured out my problem. My brushless Summit now has a lot more power when in high gear so I would jump off and over stuff at speed. Come to find out that with that power and speed I was over extending the axles in the vertical plane and the ends would crack where the cross pin goes through. Put some zip ties on the A Arms to act as limiting straps and have not broken an axle since! Truck is a blast plus it still has low gear.

RC Racer
    Forgot to add the link for a clip of my brushless Summit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdFwD6EsUYE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tankinfrank View Post
    Forgot to add the link for a clip of my brushless Summit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdFwD6EsUYE
    Nice vid bro; I'm now going brushless with my Summit!
    Summit, Slash 4x4 Platinum, Revo 3.3, T-MaxxPro-15

RC poster
    Great video tank! Can you tell me in more detail what I should do like youto avoid blowing diffs. i have a brushless setup and only runnign 4s only.

Also what is the zip ties on the A-arms do and look like? Also do you think I need a heavy duty slipper clutch too and why?

RC Racer
    I have the Castle Mamba X set up and the most important thing is to adjust the punch control so it's not to brutal on the first pull of the trigger. The zip ties insure that the a arms don't over extend to the down side and damage the diff side of the axle. Most important, when in high range and going fast I do not lock any of the diffs. Only lock them when I'm in low range.