Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

My XO-1 build - Project Quadriga

So i liked my xo so much i decided to build one for my collection. Little by little i collected parts this past summer. In keeping with my traditional red and black builds, this will be the same.
    Stock Traxxas electronics
    Traxxas spiral gears
    Ceramic Boca bearing
    Red GPM everything for the xo
    Stainless Screwz kit
    Killerbody Corvette with light kit

Stay tuned!

RC Competitor
    I finally started the build this weekend. The driveshaft only comes in blue so i decided to just remove the blue and polish it.

RC Competitor
    Waiting on paint to dry... lol

RC Competitor
    The chassis is fu3mrc2 boring so i'm trying to figure out what to do with those pieces... hmm

[IMG][/IMG]

ill be curious how much it cost to build like that . I built a motor from pieces , found out cheaper to buy a complete used motor . also found out there are so many little pieces that you need a good book & help .. looks good , good luck
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve View Post
    ill be curious how much it cost to build like that . I built a motor from pieces , found out cheaper to buy a complete used motor . also found out there are so many little pieces that you need a good book & help .. looks good , good luck
    Building is fun. It's easy if you've done a disassembly. The xo is a VERY simple design. There are exploded view diagrams you can download from Traxxas...
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support
    These come in handy.
    So i got the red painted on the body but after two cans of tamiya pt-2 red i kinda feel it needs another coat. I had to order some more red. Now i'm working on an idea to mod the chassis. Once that is done i'll start the actual assembly. Hopefully by this weekend.

I find it fun & interesting . I have had mine apart several times . good engineering

RC Competitor
    So i finally had some time to finish the paint work. Body looks good. It appears dull in the pics as i haven't removed the protective plastic on the outside. I wanted to color code the headlight buckets to match the car like a real corvette so, I used some Greased Lightning degreaser to remove the chrome from the headlight buckets. That stuff is strong so most of the chrome dissolved right off the buckets while soaking. I removed the remaining chrome with a green scrub pad and a fine pick for the creases. That plastic is not very absorbent so i had to do many coats of paint starting with very light coats. I left the chrome on the tail light buckets. The tail light lenses were a little tricky as i didn't want to go to dark or un-even. I used some tamiya transparent red PS-37 and did some practice spray on the excess lexan before i sprayed the tail light lenses. With all the paint work done i'll finish the body once i get the chassis done and mount the body.

RC Racer
    Is that a short wheelbase body? Bit of inspiration for you....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    @Sparrow it's not a short wheel base. I have a "street" xo. This is just a show piece for my collection.
    I've been really busy with life lately so not much time to work on this sadly. I have all the parts sitting here in a box. The body is painted and the chassis is well, speaking of inspiration Sparrow, get a load of this!!!!!!!!

Where did you get the silver body. It looks good?
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Racer
    Serpent 1/8 body, McLaren F1!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I see where they make really nice bodies for Slashes, but not XO-1's.

they make a nice corvette body . I got one but saving it for after I stop crashing at speed . nice body & should look good

I got one too.

See.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-01-2019 at 06:28 AM.

RC Competitor
    @ReglarGuy i like your car so much we have one in the family... lol
    my boy Rick's Z06

But, is it as fast as an XO-1? (lol)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    But, is it as fast as an XO-1? (lol)
    lol
    wouldn't that be fun!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you haven't done it once or twice...us boys will be boys. (lol)

RC Competitor
    Haven't had much time to work on this project... LIFE INTERRUPTUS!!!
    I've been busy working on the race car and my 83 Trans Am
    race car

got a new strange 12 bolt 3:73 posi with wilwood brakes for the 83 T/A "kinda dirty from working on it"

In the mean time... So i didn't like how the driveshaft looked after polishing so i had my spare anodized red. The plastic chassis pieces i had hydro dipped looked good but i didn't like the color and a couple of bad blemishes so, i had them redone. The pieces were REALLY hard to dip because of the sharp corners and general shape. It took many tries with the rear diffuser before it came out acceptable and still has some flaws. The battery trays and radio box just wouldn't dipp good enough so those were excluded. Now that those pieces are done and i have a little more time i may be able to finish this project in a couple of weeks. After reviewing all the parts I'm now only waiting on new battery trays, radio box and, some red billet counter sunk washers for the upper support strut so as not to damage the clear coat on it.

RC Competitor
    Finally received the washers for the upper support strut. Going over all the parts i remembered the shock spacers needed powder coat so i took care of that yesterday. The shock springs look really ugly in red so i have some black Bad Horsie socks.

RC Competitor
    I was able to get the rear section done!!!
    GPM parts, spiral gear, sway bar, shock socks, boca bearings...
    "gpm part fitment is excellent"

RC Competitor
    Had a little time this weekend to work on her front end and chassis. Once again all the parts fit very nicely this time with one exception. The front shocks will rub on the upper turnbuckle when using the really thick GPM turnbuckles.The oem turnbuckles are thinner. I got past this issue by adding some red anodized spacers to the shock mounts. The battery trays and the radio/servo box just wouldn't cooperate with the hydrodip process so those pieces were exclude. The winglets on the front splitter were dipped side by side facing as they would be on the car rather then opposite each other. I think the pattern would have looked better opposing each other rather then the same direction. I started the chassis build but i'm having to figure out what to do with the wiring and, i decided to change the servo. I was using a savox sc-1258tg but have since decided to put that in my street xo. I've now ordered a traxxas tra2255 "red" for this xo. As for the wiring. I just don't like how the wiring is so exposed down the chassis. I have an idea on how to make a nice wire loom that is the proper size and appearance. We'll save that for next week!!!

Last edited by Jupiter; 03-31-2019 at 04:55 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    That looks really good!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thank you Sayoda.
    So the awesome TRAXXAS TRA2255 servo is here and i finally got the right wire loom. My idea was to use some black braided split loom which looked good but i then found some 1/8" braided carbon fiber split loom. I think it looks ok and the fit is perfect. I have the wires all setup but i will have to redo it once i put the lights on the body. The light kit will require 2 wire splitter' so i will have exposed wires with the light setup. I should have the chassis done this week.

nice job !!!!

RC poster
    Your build is looking beautiful! Are those real carbon fibre parts?

RC Competitor
    Thank you Steve!
    @DRIFT/BASH no these are not carbon fiber. The plastic pieces have been HYDRO DIPPED. I got the idea from my Jato plastic carbon pieces. I wasn't sure if this would work because of the shape of the pieces and the way hydro dipping works. But it never hurts to try so, i called a local dipper and had these pieces done. The first attempt was the wrong color. The second attempt by a second hydro dipper was better. Getting a dipper to do them was a task because of the shape. Still wish it was darker but it is what it is. The wire split loom is F6 Woven Wrap with carbon fiber appearance.

So i finished the chassis and she's starting to look pretty cool. I still need to label the tires and finish the body. I'll do the tires next before i modify the radio box. I need to somehow make provision for the light kit's wiring into the radio box. I have an idea to minimize wire exposure while still using the factory radio box!

Looks really nice. When you get done are you going to run it or is it a show car?

what kind of body stands are those ? .. steve

RC Competitor
    Looks really nice. When you get done are you going to run it or is it a show car?
    Thanks. It's a show car i'll probably put on display in my office! I'd like to run it in the rain at our local tennis courts at night under the right conditions. I have my street xo to drive though.

what kind of body stands are those ? .. steve
    All the red aluminum is GPM except the motor wire clamps and, the wheel nuts are Hot Racing. I'm not sure i like the white nylon body stand nuts. I thought about dyeing them black but i don't think the color would take well. The red aluminum wire clamps i got on ebay. The wheel nuts i think are a little shallow so i wouldn't trust them under street use. I have some deeper ones on my Baja 5b i thought about trying but these HR parts look good.

So i finished the chassis and... this looks nicer then my 4tec!!! I'm using some TruLine Graphics for the wheel stickers.
    I'll try and finish the body this weekend.

thanks on body stands .. steve

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Thanks. It's a show car i'll probably put on display in my office! I'd like to run it in the rain at our local tennis courts at night under the right conditions. I have my street xo to drive though.

All the red aluminum is GPM except the motor wire clamps and, the wheel nuts are Hot Racing. I'm not sure i like the white nylon body stand nuts. I thought about dyeing them black but i don't think the color would take well. The red aluminum wire clamps i got on ebay. The wheel nuts i think are a little shallow so i wouldn't trust them under street use. I have some deeper ones on my Baja 5b i thought about trying but these HR parts look good.

So i finished the chassis and... this looks nicer then my 4tec!!! I'm using some TruLine Graphics for the wheel stickers.
    I'll try and finish the body this weekend.

Props man you have built a beautiful car.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Competitor
    @slashcrazy thank you!

Worked on the body this weekend. I still need to do some wire routing and tighty it all up. Looks like i'll have to cover the back of the lights inside the car as well because they bleed light inside. Now that i see it i know i was right and the carbon fiber should have been darker. The body post magnets are really strong making it difficult to remove the body easily "that's a good thing".

RC Racer
    amazing buld

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    amazing buld
    Thank you fozzy...

Where did you get the decals for your tires? Everything you did looks really good by the way. Great job!

is this the car you built from scratch ? I see lots of patience there . very nice job !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamseals View Post
    I have a Jazzmaster to match my Jag that MJT is finishing up this week. I really should document and post that build as well. Looking forward to seeing yours
    Thanks Kamseals. I'm sure we would all like to see your project. Start a thread and post some pics.

Where did you get the decals for your tires? Everything you did looks really good by the way. Great job!
    Thank you RegularGuy. Those stickers are from TruLine Graphics They have diff scale sizes.

is this the car you built from scratch ? I see lots of patience there . very nice job !
    Thank you kzsteve. Yes this is the one i built from scratch. The white xo is my street rod.
    I built this red xo while waiting to get some shop space so i could work on my recently acquired REALLY UGLY battle ship grey 1983 Trans Am WS6. This car is so ugly the guy almost gave it away.

Well i decided to conduct an intervention and do an extreme makeover. I'm now the proud owner of Project Fugly!!! My plan is to do a factory paint scheme like my red 82 T/A but paint it Cyber Grey with black. Same ram air hood style to. So instead of building an rc chassis this summer i have been doing some nip, tuck, CUT and, use my BFH, i mean hammer... haha. The bottom of the car will be black Lizard skin with all the Spohn tubular chassis components in tiger red powder coat. The gas tank is powder coated silver and i junked the shocks and coil springs and replaced them with adjustable coil over shocks. The rear diff is a Strange 12 bolt 3:73 posi unit in black powder coat with Wilwood 4 piston brakes. I cut the rear inner fender bump stops, also called a mini tub. So i can get some BIG FAT drag radial tires back there.... weeeeee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast