RC Enthusiast

Motor over heating

I have a stock 2wd stampede for my son. I run it in training mode. Battery is a 7600mah 75c liposuction. Have the vxl-3s with a Reedy 540-sl 3900kv for the motor. I have an 83 tooth spur gear and a 25 tooth pinion gear. I have 2 problems. First the truck chatters when going forward at first but in reverse will spin the tires with no chatter. Second problem is the motor is getting WAY TOO hot. The motor burned me when I accidently touched it. Thanks for any help.

RC Qualifier
    Gear down. You are geared too high if the motor is getting that hot.

RC Champion
    Agreed, gear down, I've been running a 90t spur on my VXL swapped Pede for years with pinions ranging from 12t-28t. Look at maybe a 90/19 combo and see how that works.

Could even be that Liposuction battery too
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the help. I will look at the liposuction battery also lol. Can I use any pinion gear or does it have to be a Traxxas pinion gear?
    Last edited by Med382; 12-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Med382 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I will look at the liposuction battery also lol. Can I use any pinion gear or does it have to be a Traxxas pinion gear?
    Doesn't have to be Traxxas but theirs are OK. Make sure it's 48P! 19/90 is good, it will cog less!

BTW that's a big, powerful battery and way more than the truck needs in general.
    Get yourself a temp gun because no matter the gearing, long run times and powerful bursts,
    lead to high temps and burnt things! You may need to take breaks to cool down...

RC Enthusiast
    How will I know if the pinion is a 48p?

RC Qualifier
    If you buy it new, it should say on the package. The 90T spur gear will say 48P right on it.
    If you want to use some you have some lying around or something...?
    Pretty sure most rcs use either 48P(pitch) or 32P which are noticeably different.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the help