RC Racer

Angry Did i break the revo or is this normal?

So I installed the new servo 400oz of torque !! woot, So I got it installed, tried my best to make sure the wheels were straight and the servo was at 0 yada yada yada boring..

So I got it back together and I noticed one of the wheels either tilts in or turns in a little making the car turn right when I gun the throttle so I slowed it down to test a straight line and I near am turning the trim to the left to help reset to 0..

So finally I got it going straight then I just noticed its still driving a little funny so I look at the left wheel/tire and noticed the exsessive threading sticking out..

Can someone please tell me if this is normal or if I can fix this?? The wheel just ain't straight because of that I think??

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-18-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Your pillow ball is just unthreaded a little. It's kind of a common occurrence. Just thread it back in, see if it holds. If it keeps coming out you can super glue it, just bear in mind that the bond is likely permanent and should you need to replace a pillow ball or a-arm you'll likely have to do both. There is hex head inside the axle carrier on the end of the pillow ball, simply pull out the blue rubber plug to access it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Your pillow ball is just unthreaded a little. It's kind of a common occurrence. Just thread it back in, see if it holds. If it keeps coming out you can super glue it, just bear in mind that the bond is likely permanent and should you need to replace a pillow ball or a-arm you'll likely have to do both. There is hex head inside the axle carrier on the end of the pillow ball, simply pull out the blue rubber plug to access it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WOOOOOOOOOOOT Thank you so much for telling me this is a common thing!! omg I was like what the heck did I do I was just bashing around in the snow didn't even run into anything lol

Shwweeeeeeet I can fix this I'll apply a little blue locktite first to see if that holds if not i'll super glue that sucker in place with whatever that amazing stuff the lhs sold me.. stuff sets in like.. 5 - 10 seconds its crazzzy.

Anyway thanks a billon man I thought I broke it fa real (common occurrence with me lately lol)

RC Qualifier
    You might want to invest in a small compressor to blow some of that snow off before you bring it in LOL. It's a little cold outside this time of year to end up in the dog house unless it's heated lol. (Speaking from experiance)

RC Racer
    Well seems I broke it again.. Tightend up that screw but I guess I went too tight? cuz the wheels wouldn't turn left or right servo was having hella time tryin to move them.. So I loosened it back up and that seems to help but now it seems I've lost my 4wd and only the back wheels are receiving power front wheels just stay still...

Any ideas what I broke this time or do I just need to take apart the front end and start looking for broken stuff?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    You might want to invest in a small compressor to blow some of that snow off before you bring it in LOL. It's a little cold outside this time of year to end up in the dog house unless it's heated lol. (Speaking from experiance)
    I have those pee pads set down for the snow to drop onto them I just toss uhm in the washer, Usually I stick the car over a bin or something to catch all the water then dump that outside.. atm i'm testing/working on it so the snow kinda got all over..

Its my house tho so no one to kick me out to the dog house hehe

RC Racer
    DRIVE SHAFT BROKE...……………….

Front drive shaft...

This is a nightmare to access.. does anyone have any videos on how to replace this crap?

RC Racer

So replace it with more cheap plastic made by traxxas or should I go with metal drive shafts??

RC Enthusiast
    TraverseCityMi, don't use loctite. It will attack the plastic. I put a drop of thin superglue in the hole, let it dry, and then thread in the pillowball. The pillowball will cut new threads in the CA, and allow you to reuse the arm. If you put CA in and screw in the pillowball, it will glue the ball to the arm, but it will still be removable, as CA has low shear strength. That will keep it in place without damaging the plastics.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beavis View Post
    TraverseCityMi, don't use loctite. It will attack the plastic. I put a drop of thin superglue in the hole, let it dry, and then thread in the pillowball. The pillowball will cut new threads in the CA, and allow you to reuse the arm. If you put CA in and screw in the pillowball, it will glue the ball to the arm, but it will still be removable, as CA has low shear strength. That will keep it in place without damaging the plastics.
    too late but as you see a new problem has arose so now I got the whole front end apart, pulled the drive shaft now I gotta figure out what I wanna do next..

And too late on the locktite I already put a lil on it.. if I gotta replace the front end afterwards then I guess i'll do that..

for right now I gotta fix this drive shaft and figure out why it broke in the first place.

RC Racer
    Oh and all this was done with 4s!!! … I ain't even got to 6S yet...

Why me?!?!?!

RC Racer
    Well I just learned a TON about my car by simply taking every thing apart lol.. The pivot ball had something going on it would not turn very well.. I broke that plastic gray thing that adjust the pivot ball screw thing not sure what its called.. anyway broke that trying to simply adjust it.. Somethin was wrong with it so I took it apart and cleaned it put it back together now the pivot ball moves just fine, so that was the original issue not sure why it came unthreaded tho..

A little confused now, the round black thing in the center of my revo connecting the front half shaft to the rear drive shaft.. is that the transmission or a diff?

god im such a noob right now.
    Last edited by TraverseCityMi; 12-13-2018 at 04:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    If it's a 2.0, that's a center diff. The original ERBE came with a gear that drove front and rear 50/50. On the ERBE, the center diff could only handle 4S power, which is why the vast majority have the gear setup.

RC Racer
    Yep 2.0 Thanks, Guess for now i'll leave it alone still gotta take the rear off and pull the rest of the driveshaft out.

Slightly depressing here, First day I got my stampede it broke, Not even 2 week old revo and it broke..

Feel like Im spending more down time fixing plastic parts then I am driving them, I don't get why theres metal axels but a PLASTIC drive shaft.. Even my pede and slash have aluminum? or metal drive shafts.

Maybe I should consider getting a different brand, I mean 600$ for a revo only to dump another few 100$ to fix everything that should have came standard seems a little shady...

RC Qualifier
    I haven’t broken a center driveshaft yet and I’m about a hundred days in of 6s bashing. Only problem is where the grub screw goes in it sheared off and ruined it, but I put another in through the other end and it seems ok for now

RC Racer
    Yeah I dunno what the heck happened, I pulled the A arm and Axel carrier cause theres something wrong with both of them, the pivot ball wont screw into the a arm properly / fully sticks out farther then the other side, And when I drilled it out to make it fit then theres no play in the pivot ball.. So im just replacing the whole Arm and Carrier..

I can't even figure out why the drive shaft snapped like it did tho unless somehow the stress on the front suspension got transferred to the drive shaft??

I dunno like I said i'm just replacing that whole side with new parts hopefully that will fix whatever the issue was.

RC Racer
    Well got a bunch of stuff replaced installed new left A arm, still need to replace the carrier but for now its running like it should, Got the new metal 1/2 shaft and rear shaft installed forgot how everything went back together and what screws did what so that took a few hours … left over screws cuz ^^… oo well its back to running condition.

Installed the badlands as well, realized when I got them in there not the MX version a little bummed but honestly there still a killer tire.

ordered 100k and 500k diff fluid as well going 100k front and rear and 500k middle as I've seen suggested around here, prolly doing the same in the slash and pede as well.

RC Racer
    Figured out why the driveshaft broke.. a Grub screw came out on its own.. Happened again today but thankfully I was running my new metal 1/2 shaft so no damage was done lost the grub screw tho.. Will consider super glue next time but for now locktite again, checked the other screws those were fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseCityMi View Post
    Figured out why the driveshaft broke.. a Grub screw came out on its own.. Happened again today but thankfully I was running my new metal 1/2 shaft so no damage was done lost the grub screw tho.. Will consider super glue next time but for now locktite again, checked the other screws those were fine.
    That’s the same thing that happened to me! But I got lucky and it just tore up the grub screw’s hole. I put a different one into the other side now. That’s weird, this stuff shouldn’t be backing out.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    That’s the same thing that happened to me! But I got lucky and it just tore up the grub screw’s hole. I put a different one into the other side now. That’s weird, this stuff shouldn’t be backing out.

any suggestions on ways to stop it from coming out? I ordered like 15 more just in case rofl..

RC Qualifier
    Try red locktite. It is much stronger. If you need to remove it, use some heat. But it shouldn’t come out with the red stuff. Just make sure you clean the area well with some 91% isopropyl alcohol before you install it. Hopefully you get it fixed!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Try red locktite. It is much stronger. If you need to remove it, use some heat. But it shouldn’t come out with the red stuff. Just make sure you clean the area well with some 91% isopropyl alcohol before you install it. Hopefully you get it fixed!!
    Ordering some now thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quite a while back Briber on these forums suggested using a small piece of shrink tube over the grub screws to hold them from coming out, cheap fix that works a 1/4 inch wide band is all you need.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Quite a while back Briber on these forums suggested using a small piece of shrink tube over the grub screws to hold them from coming out, cheap fix that works a 1/4 inch wide band is all you need.
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!! If I have to take it apart again im going that route next, So far the locktite held for its first 10-15 min run in the yard we'll see if she holds for the whole hour long walk I usually go on every day.