Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Slash 4x4 platinum vs ultimate advice please

    I'm new to this sport and thought I wanted a Losi Tenacity SCT. However, my local hobby store owner said the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Platinum is the way to go - low CG chassis, reliable, available parts. I don't have a Tx, so I was looking at the Ultimate, but it's a $100 more (I can get a Spektrum SPM2335 for $70; SPM5100 for $100; SPM5110 for $120). These are the only differences I know of between the Platinum and Ultimate:
    o) Platinum has an optional center diff, not sure why the Ultimate doesn't have one or if it's needed.
    o) Platinum has a clear body, Ultimate has a painted body.
    o) Ultimate has the Traxxas TQI 2ch Tx (6509R) with a 5ch Rx and it will accommodate telemetry module (5611) for $45.

    I'd appreciate any advice on what to buy (e.g. Traxxas Platinum/Ultimate, Losi, Tx, etc.) and why. Also, anything else I should know for this purchase?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    7,595
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

    Ultimate has the following over the Platinum:

    NEW High-volume, blue PTFE-coated aluminum GTR shocks
    NEW High-speed metal gear servo (#2075R)
    NEW Upgraded Extreme-Duty driveshafts
    NEW Heavy-duty suspension arms
    Traxxas Stability Management (TSM)
    Performance-optimized dark charcoal gray low-CG chassis
    TQi 2.4GHz high output radio system with Traxxas Link Wireless Module™
    Factory installed telemetry sensors
    Telemetry-ready 5-channel 2.4GHz micro receiver
    ProGraphix™ painted body

    You would need to get batteries, charger, IR Temp gun, and quality tools for either rig.

    Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizeone View Post
    I'd appreciate any advice on what to buy (e.g. Traxxas Platinum/Ultimate, Losi, Tx, etc.) and why. Also, anything else I should know for this purchase?

    Thank you.
    What is the goal/use for the truck? Are you going to get into short course truck racing with a goal of being competitive?
    Just a fun toy but comparing differences in features?

    -Liberty

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Squeegie, you're the only person who has been able to identify the differences, even the Traxxas Cust Sup't rep said they are basically the same.
    Can you please answer a few more questions?
    o) I believe the Platinum comes with an included center diff, but the Ultimate does not. Is this an issue if I get the Ultimate and why wouldn't I need it?
    o) If I get the Ultimate, are there any other items I should replace that are critical (FYI - just be using a 2S 5200mah battery for awhile)?
    o) What would you recommend I buy since I'm a newbie, who wants to graduate to short course, and I don't have a Tx (doesn't have to be a Traxxas)?
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Hi LibertyMKiii,
    I'm a retired newbie and I want to get into this sport with a quality set of equipment and maybe aspire to short course racing. I don't want to wish later on that I should have bought something better for short course - this vehicle should satisfy both learning and short course. I don't have a Tx and I know the Ultimate is $100 more, but if the only difference is the included Tx then I could buy a lower priced 2ch Spektrum Tx and save money. However, as Squeegie stated above, it appears the Ultimate has several upgrades over the Platinum that make the additional $100 well worth it. I'm also trying to determine if the Traxxas Slash 4x4 low-CG model is the best choice for me. Thoughts?

  6. #6
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizeone View Post
    Thanks Squeegie, you're the only person who has been able to identify the differences, even the Traxxas Cust Sup't rep said they are basically the same.
    Can you please answer a few more questions?
    o) I believe the Platinum comes with an included center diff, but the Ultimate does not. Is this an issue if I get the Ultimate and why wouldn't I need it?
    o) If I get the Ultimate, are there any other items I should replace that are critical (FYI - just be using a 2S 5200mah battery for awhile)?
    o) What would you recommend I buy since I'm a newbie, who wants to graduate to short course, and I don't have a Tx (doesn't have to be a Traxxas)?
    Thanks.
    I have an older Ultimate. Squeegie is spot on with his post. My Ultimate came with the optional center diff....I've never used it. If you start racing on a course you might want it but for bashing the slipper clutch is more than adequate. You won't need a TX as the Ultimate comes with the TQi TX that's equipped with a bluetooth module that you can pair with your device(phone) to display volts/temp/rpm/speed via the free Traxxas Link app.and make adjustments as well. Works awesome.

    The Ultimate is well worth the extra $100. If you stay with 2s there is very little to upgrade. Good luck! Have fun and welcome aboard!!

    Edit: You will want to buy a good charger(many options) and a good set of hex drivers(the supplied tools are not good) I suggest MIP.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 12-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Dcuda69 - Thank you for taking your time to help me - I appreciate it. Based on the feedback so far, it appears the newest Ultimate is the one for me and I'll check out a charger and the MIP drivers too.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,252
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

    I will probably never buy a Slash 4x4 that is not an Ultimate edition. I like that it has the included telemetry so you can always know what your motor temperature. The speedometer is pretty much on point. It will tell you a higher top speed if the truck leaves the ground on a run. The fact that it comes out of the box with the newest and best that Traxxas has to offer the Slash 4x4 always has me coming back for more! The app is where you actually get the motor temperature and speedometer and voltage readings. Through the app I was able to bring an older Velineon esc back to life. Again I am very happy with the Ultimate edition
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Hi El Sob and thanks for the "Welcome". I'm really glad I joined this forum since I was floundering with mixed feedback, but this forum is very consistent with a recommendation. I'll definitely consider this my first resource for info. Thanks again!

  10. #10
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,247
    The Ultimate is currently the only Slash 4x4 with all of the latest durability updates, it’s definitely the one to get.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Hey Dcuda69, regarding the hex drivers, do you have an opinion on the Traxxas Tool Kit (#3415) for $29.99? It may be better than what they supply with the Ultimate, so just asking since the price is very reasonable.

  12. #12
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizeone View Post
    Hey Dcuda69, regarding the hex drivers, do you have an opinion on the Traxxas Tool Kit (#3415) for $29.99? It may be better than what they supply with the Ultimate, so just asking since the price is very reasonable.
    I have no experience with the Traxxas kit as it came out after I bought MIPs. It will be light years better than the little wrenches you get with the truck though.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizeone View Post
    Hi El Sob and thanks for the "Welcome". I'm really glad I joined this forum since I was floundering with mixed feedback, but this forum is very consistent with a recommendation. I'll definitely consider this my first resource for info. Thanks again!
    Welcome to your online home! This is probably the best place to get information about the Slash 4x4. There are groups on Facebook but a lot of people there are not as knowledgeable or polite as they are here
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  14. #14
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,529
    Wizeone,
    While it is understandable that you want the broadest knowledge set possible, if you wish to have recommendations regarding other manufacturers’ vehicles, the Traxxas forums are not the place to ask or receive answers.

    I’d think all members here would be able to remember their manners and be considerate of their host.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,034
    From my own watching guys/girls race, I’ll say this. You can have the best of the best, but if you can’t drive it, it is not worth anything! Whether you get a Traxxas or some other company, you still need to know how to drive it!! And setup the suspension and many other things to make it race worthy. With this said, yes there are more race worthy rc’s out there, but I don’t think any of them offer the parts selection and customer service that Traxxas does. You can get parts from pretty easy for Traxxas vehicles, not too sure about the others. Just some food for thought.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93
    A few more comments that may help:

    1. I'm new at this too; I've learned that it's best to use a center diff for racing.
    2. Some extras, like TSM, are not allowed when racing, so I'd ask around about these "extras"...
    JES

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I have an older Ultimate. Squeegie is spot on with his post. My Ultimate came with the optional center diff....I've never used it. If you start racing on a course you might want it but for bashing the slipper clutch is more than adequate. You won't need a TX as the Ultimate comes with the TQi TX that's equipped with a bluetooth module that you can pair with your device(phone) to display volts/temp/rpm/speed via the free Traxxas Link app.and make adjustments as well. Works awesome.

    The Ultimate is well worth the extra $100. If you stay with 2s there is very little to upgrade. Good luck! Have fun and welcome aboard!!

    Edit: You will want to buy a good charger(many options) and a good set of hex drivers(the supplied tools are not good) I suggest MIP.
    I agree well worth the $100.00.

    The clarification needed here is rather the OP was originally comparing the last years ultimate with OBA, or the one that just came out last month. The latest model number is 68077-4, this car has the list Squeegie provided.

    The older ultimate was model # 68077-24 which is still available at many hobby stores and multiple online sources.
    The older model was or still is going for $589 at most places the latest 68077-4 model lacks the OBA but has the latest HD a-arms among other latest HD parts. The 68077-4 goes for about $499 most places . I have seen the older 68077-24 version for as low as $512.00 online recently. I bought one on a flash sale with a special one day only e-bay coupon a couple weeks ago for 462. I bought a second 68077-4 last Sunday for 449.00 after a local hobby store coupons and store rebates.

    Personally I am not wild about the look of the latest Hawaii themed bodies. Both of mine are still in the wrapper and I am running a more classic trophy truck painted body on them. I can't tell a lot of difference between the two on the track performance wise that is, I did get use to the OBA and sort of miss it when I am running one of the 68077-4s, but with the new a-arm design I can fit a wider selection of tires on them, which that does help in terms of track setups and having more options.

    Basically the new HD Slash/Rustler 4x4 A-arms a slightly shorter then the old style so you have a little more room for wider tires if needed/desired .
    RC's4-UDR/6-XMax/?-Slash/1-Rust4X/4-E-rev/4-E-maxx

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Wizeone,
    While it is understandable that you want the broadest knowledge set possible, if you wish to have recommendations regarding other manufacturers’ vehicles, the Traxxas forums are not the place to ask or receive answers.

    I’d think all members here would be able to remember their manners and be considerate of their host.

    This came about because my post (removed) was recommending other makes.
    The Slash 4x4 has one of the largest aftermarket support of any RC. It is very capable as many tracks now have a stock class just for them.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier IanRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Boston South Shore
    Posts
    449
    Once they update the platinum with the new parts, it will be the best slash again. Untill then, the new ultimate.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    75

    Slash 4x4 platinum vs ultimate advice please

    I own 5 Traxxas rigs I'm very familiar with there customer serivice and I have to say they are great ,as raceing or bashing ? , I will be raceing but not for any bragging rights or noteriaty or trophy's or cups , or jars or placks , badges , shirts pictures or any other competitive self comforts , we race to see who brings lunch to the next escape from all the hassles of life , and oh ya ! A little thing we call booyah !!!

    Please try to ensure that the content of your posts do not violate the rules of this forum. See #4: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...havior-(Rules). Thanks! -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-25-2018 at 09:34 AM.

  21. #21
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1
    I have the same questions about the Platinum vs Ultimate. As far as iv seen the Platinum is 399 and the Ultimate is 589. If been looking at the Platinum but now I'm confused.

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    75
    Tottaly excited about getting theultimate , so much so , that I'm looking it up constantly in videos and the Traxxas site , good news guys it just went down in price $80 , it is the one to get !!!

  23. #23
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    75
    A second reminder to PLEASE try to ensure that the content of your posts do not violate the rules of this forum. See #13 and note that this is not a “it’s better to ask for forgiveness” forum. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...havior-(Rules). Thanks! -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-04-2019 at 10:02 AM.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    366
    I have been eyeing the 68077-4 for some time now and I really wish the same treatment can be applied to say Rustler/Slash 2wd vxl or the Rustler 4x4 vxl, the 130 dollar premium over a vanilla Slash 4x4 VXL gets one the sway bars, the lcg chassis, the upgraded shocks, all the aluminum bits, the metal gear servo be fore we even mention the other plastic parts. That's a good, heck, great, deal.

    I don't mean to sound like a Traxxas salesman, I just get a bit sad on how much money I spent on hop up parts on my existing Traxxas'.

  25. #25
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    75
    Ultimate is where I'm going, I will be widening the wheel base right off , but I really believe after all my study even with other brands , it's what I'm getting very soon !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •