Thread: What motor

RC Competitor

What motor

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I still donít quite understand the motor sizes yet. So Iím asking again, what motor would be the best for this rig? Sole purpose going fast. Iím not ready for the motor yet. Trying to get the chassis & suspension done first then Iíll get the motor & esc. Thanks guys for any recommendations, Iíve read & read about the motor sizes & just canít grasp it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-red View Post
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but I still don’t quite understand the motor sizes yet. So I’m asking again, what motor would be the best for this rig? Sole purpose going fast. I’m not ready for the motor yet. Trying to get the chassis & suspension done first then I’ll get the motor & esc. Thanks guys for any recommendations, I’ve read & read about the motor sizes & just can’t grasp it.
    Are you planning on sticking with a 3s ESC? Or would you go with a custom setup later?
    Motor size and KV is largely decided based on what battery and esc you will run.

Just how fast exactly is your goal?

-Liberty

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyMKiii View Post
    Are you planning on sticking with a 3s ESC? Or would you go with a custom setup later?
    Motor size and KV is largely decided based on what battery and esc you will run.

Just how fast exactly is your goal?

-Liberty
    When you say “custom setup” are you referring to something like a set from CC? I’m thinking on a 4s battery if it will fit & doesn’t weight that much. I would like to hit 80-85mph with an ultimate goal of 100mph.

RC Qualifier
    If you are planning on getting to 100mph youíll want a low KV motor and a large can one. Also youíll want a good ESC that can handle 4s voltage and not run hot. With these things in mind, the castle creations sidewinder 1/8th combo. It comes with an ESC capable of handling up to 6s and the 2200kv motor you could really gear up to get the speeds you are looking for. There are other combos that would work as well, but the one I mentioned seems to fit for what you are wanting to do. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds to me the Sidewinder 8th 2200 combo is up your alley. It’ll get your 85 on 4s and if you want 100 throw 6s at it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Sounds to me the Sidewinder 8th 2200 combo is up your alley. It’ll get your 85 on 4s and if you want 100 throw 6s at it.
    What would I need to install a 8th scale can on the thing? Just doesn’t look like enough room for it. I’ve got a 1515-2200 laying on my bench I’m putting in my Bandit when my transmission case gets here in a few days.

RC Qualifier
    If the larger 2200kv can is too big, look into the 2400kv motor. Not sure what ESC comes with it, but I believe it will handle up to 4s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-red View Post
    What would I need to install a 8th scale can on the thing? Just doesn’t look like enough room for it. I’ve got a 1515-2200 laying on my bench I’m putting in my Bandit when my transmission case gets here in a few days.
    Whoops, I always thought the 4tec has the same chassis dimensions as the slash 4x4. My bad

Edit: holy crap @222, this thing is tiny! Even the Titan 12t is shoehorned in there, look at the chassis pics. Also I think in his situation motor length is an issue, and the 2400 is the same length as the 2200. I guess he’d have to get a 1512 1900kv (or an old 2650) motor and gear up or get a higher kv one.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 12-18-2018 at 07:29 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That or the 3800kv motor. But I just donít see it getting to high speed like 80mph. I could be wrong though.

RC Qualifier
    I don’t really recommend it but if you buy the velineon 3500 motor you could run it on 6s for 1 run. It’ll survive but you’ll need a mmp or mamba x to run that motor on such high volts. It’ll probably get 100 on 6s. I saw a YouTuber bash the crap out of one and after like 7 minutes the motor was at 250 degrees F. Somehow it survived and still works fine.

RC Qualifier
    Iíve only ever run 4s once. It was fast. Got me to about 75mph or so. But I have the old 2 pole motor too. Had to turn off lipo mode and run it in NIMH mode to make it work. But I do t advise doing this unless you are prepared to buy a new system. As with 6s. Donít do it unless you are ready to pay up for a new system.

RC poster
    Currently running the following and doing over 100mph running on 5s and barely fits inside.

Mamba MaxPro SCT Combo with 1415-2400KV Motor, 25V ESC

RC Qualifier
    Yep I did mention that combo. Seems like the right one to get to speeds like you are getting! That is a rocket for a small vehicle like the 4 tec.

RC Qualifier
    I know people are fitting larger motors in the 4tec. Some of the speed run guys have gone 140-150 with the 4tec.
    People have also done MOD1 gear adaptations to hold the power.

This is a low quality video that does not give away any secrets of mounting the motor but at least shows a motor swap and 6s esc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQ7-U3lGhg

-Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I’ve only ever run 4s once. It was fast. Got me to about 75mph or so. But I have the old 2 pole motor too. Had to turn off lipo mode and run it in NIMH mode to make it work. But I do t advise doing this unless you are prepared to buy a new system. As with 6s. Don’t do it unless you are ready to pay up for a new system.
    You hit 75 with the 2pole Vxl system? What was your gearing, did you have a gps?

RC Qualifier
    Wow I never expected you to be able to fit a motorcan that long into 4tec lol. The 1415 is nothing small!

RC Qualifier

What motor

Yes had GPS mounted inside body. Was an old Garmin one. It has been so long ago, I donít remember what the gearing was. Only did it once or twice as to not burn the motor up.