RC poster

Cool My First RC is a UDR... I won it and never knew what I was missing!

Hey everyone! I actually won my UDR at a company Chirstmas party, and man this thing is fun! This is my first "serious" RC; I haven't had anything since I was a kid. Any advice for RC noobs? Stuff to have on hand or essential upgrades? Reading a decent amount, but would like to see what other's think for my situation. Shocks and front diff seals are already leaking, so I was thinking of upgrading what I can there, but not sure what's good out there. I have the RIGID body with the light bar kit so far, and two larger LIPO batteries w/ charger. So pretty basic at the moment!

Thinking of keeping plastic suspension parts but having spares on hand, so they brake before anything else. The Hot Racing spindles look decent for the front though. I'd like to make the drivetrain pretty stout and maybe keep the driveshaft as the weak link or something of that sort.

Congratulations on the great prize and welcome to the forum! I always recommend keeping plastic a-arms, if you want some stronger ones, RPM is great. As far as some other parts, replace/upgrade as necessary imo. You are very lucky, I would love to have a UDR!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    Congratulations on the great prize and welcome to the forum! I always recommend keeping plastic a-arms, if you want some stronger ones, RPM is great. As far as some other parts, replace/upgrade as necessary imo. You are very lucky, I would love to have a UDR!

-Brett
    Thanks Brett! It was a very lucky moment for sure! I'm always the guy that "never wins", so it was extra awesome for me. Thanks for the input too!

RC poster
    What a awesome prize!!!

You sound like you have a good plan already.
    I'd upgrade the stock servo before anything.
    Here is what I'm running.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Power-HD-Wp-2...SR6Y0uFJsoWq7M

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 92 vert View Post
    What a awesome prize!!!

You sound like you have a good plan already.
    I'd upgrade the stock servo before anything.
    Here is what I'm running.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Power-HD-Wp-2...SR6Y0uFJsoWq7M

Awesome, thanks for the link!
    - "Rigid" Body UDR w/ light bar kit.

RC Qualifier
    You’re one lucky duck!!! Have fun!

...that must’ve been SoMe Christmas party...
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    You’re one lucky duck!!! Have fun!

...that must’ve been SoMe Christmas party...
    Yes sir, my company gave away five of these! It's a good time, ha ha!
    - "Rigid" Body UDR w/ light bar kit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OGKaiju View Post
    Thanks Brett! It was a very lucky moment for sure! I'm always the guy that "never wins", so it was extra awesome for me. Thanks for the input too!
    I would do a servo replacement first.....then run it til something breaks.....the first to go would be servo, then rear trailing arms, and/or upper links......that's what I started with first in my box.

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Plastic rear a arms are a must. Keep about 2-8 just on hand. Whenever you go out for a bash session bring all of them. They break super easily. Do NOT get aliminum ones. Then instead of the a arms breaking the chassis will break and that is a more expensive and harder fix

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Yup. Plastic rear a arms are a must. Keep about 2-8 just on hand. Whenever you go out for a bash session bring all of them. They break super easily. Do NOT get aliminum ones. Then instead of the a arms breaking the chassis will break and that is a more expensive and harder fix
    I didn’t know you had a UDR. You’ve broken that many rear arms?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Replace the servo and get some spare trailing arms and see what else breaks. Despite what everyone seems to say I havent broken anything on mine yet. must be alot of happy people out there and a few who drive their trucks really aggressively and complain in the same manner lol! love mine!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OGKaiju View Post
    Any advice for RC noobs? Stuff to have on hand or essential upgrades?
    LiPo batteries are unstable full charged or discharged. If you will not be using the batteries for some time put them into "storage mode" this is 3.82v per cell. (fully charged is 4.2v per cell)
    My rule of thumb is if I wont use them for 3+ days they go into storage mode voltage.

Doing this will help the battery last longer as well as keep it from potential damage.
    Many of us store our LiPo batteries in a LiPo safe bag or metal tool box. LiPo bags are very cheap on sites like Amazon and I highly recommend this purchase. Another thing to note as most of us keep the toys in the garage, low temperatures are also bad for batteries.

Other than that upgrade as things break and have fun!

-Liberty