RC poster

Another "new guy" thread

Just got into the rc hobby finally, been wanting to for a long time. First and only (until recently) rc was a 4x4 Datsun pickup from radio shack. I've always wanted to get into nitro, and a few years ago my wife bought me an old mrp 42" deep vee unassembled and missing parts. Long story short, decided I needed some experience before tackling something like that boat. Bought my first nitro last month Redcat Volcano s30, I know, I know, but the truck actually impressed me and as far as the quality of build I did enough research to know what to expect. I have caught the nitro fever and just received a used Slayer pro. Got it running and it is fricking awesome, imo. It has the sway bars, and I believe the slipper clutch has been changed. I am really considering trying it out at the local track next spring but, would like to know whether this thing will perform along side the more professional models or will I be looking for another model to race with. I have no interest in electrics, being an auto repair shop owner by trade I've had my fill of vehicles with more electronics than they need. I want the noise, smoke, and tuning challenge. Anyways sorry for the long post, and looking forward to becoming part of the rc community.

The Slayer is largely based on the Revo platform which apparently took the racing scene by storm until the truggies came into play. With proper racing tires, stronger servo and suspension tuning the Slayer may be competitive.

Welcome!
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for the welcome. I have a couple other questions, is the center diff and rear brake conversion pretty much a requirement to race these? (seems like an expensive upgrade to fix an issue to me seems like you could learn to drive with and control) Also, the slayer I bought was originally bought in '12 and shelved in 2013 till I bought it, the engine was siezed (got it unsiezed and running with little issue) have not noticed any cracks in any of the rubber components (surprisingly) but am having issues with the ezstart battery. Will crank the engine fine but if I use it on the glow plug it drains very quickly (been using an igniter), is there a limit to the mah size the system can handle (have seen some good prices on some 7.2 batteries with almost twice the punch). Also, is there any other things I should watch out for after sitting for so long.

I don't race but from what I hear it helps and most race vehicles have one installed.

Starter: you can put any mAh battery in there limited to physical size but as long as it is a 6-cell. If you are truly looking to race it you may want to go with a bump starter and remove the on-board starting system. Or at least install a pull-start.

If you don't have a manual you can download one from the Support button above. Also, you can search the main site for Steve Slayden articles or racing setup sheets as years ago he raced for Traxxas.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Sku they have electronic starters mounted to the motors now. I believe that you can buy the kit and add it to your slayer 3.3 no problem. Traxxas part 5270r

RC poster
    Being a mechanic myself I started looking towards systems I know I saw a 1/8 scale gas 2 banger I'm thinking of doing myself you should look at it