RC Qualifier

Stock or aftermarket front axle shafts for increased steering angle?

As usual on the TRX-4, I have to limit the steering angle quite a bit to avoid binding in the "CV" joints.

I have tried replacing the stock shafts with the Yeah Racing #TRX4-034 HD Tool Steel axle shafts, but they can not be recommended. They limit the steering angle a lot more than the stock shafts, so stay away of those.

Has anybody compared the Traxxas HD axle shafts (#8062) with the stock shafts when it comes to steering angle?

RC Racer
    I dont see any abnormal binding of the stock shafts with the diff open. I assume you arent talking about binding with the diff locked, which is perfectly normal.
    I'd like to see other available options proven out anyway.

RC Competitor
    The stock axle shafts support up to a 45deg turn angle. Not sure how much more you want. Are you sure it's not your servo or steering linkage that is causing the problem?
    It's a rock, get over it!

RC Qualifier
    Remember with the diffs locked you will see binding in the steering as the diffs donít have any give being they are locked. Itís normal and it not your vehicle. You wonít be able to turn with the diffs locked like you can with them unlocked.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
    The stock axle shafts support up to a 45deg turn angle. Not sure how much more you want. Are you sure it's not your servo or steering linkage that is causing the problem?
    On paper they allow 45į steering angle, but in real life not with smooth rotation on the wheels. And yes, I'm certain everything else is perfectly tuned (and that the diff is open!).

I know it's a feature of the CV joints (like shown on the video below - not my car), so I guess we'll just have to live with this issue and limit the steering angle a little.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbOCi7IkOqc

I just wanted to know if anybody had tried different axle shafts with success. Thank you all for your input:

RC Qualifier
    Donít see an issue. Here is what I found when searching for difference between locked diffs and one with posi traction.

The main difference between a locking and non locking differential is the distribution of torque. In a non-locking (open, posi) differential the torque is divided up between both rear wheel but will allow them to turn at different speeds. ... In a locking situation both wheels would turn at the same speed regardless.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Don’t see an issue. Here is what I found when searching for difference between locked diffs and one with posi traction.

The main difference between a locking and non locking differential is the distribution of torque. In a non-locking (open, posi) differential the torque is divided up between both rear wheel but will allow them to turn at different speeds. ... In a locking situation both wheels would turn at the same speed regardless.
    I think you are missing the core discussion here.
    No offense.

Can anyone shed some light on other style of knuckle CVs being used in hobby RC.
    im still pretty new to this all, so dont know whats around.