Acquired myself a used green Telluride

Building a custom Telluride has been on my to-do list for the past two years, but life and other things have consistently gotten in the way. Recently, Traxxas posted up on FB about a limited-release Stampede 4x4 XL-5, which piqued my interest, and I came close to having my wife stop by a lhs to pick up the only one they had in stock, but decided to sleep on it. Giving it further thought, however, only served to remind me that a brushed Telluride was still more appealing. The following morning, I hopped on eBay and what did I find? A good “Buy It Now” deal on a lightly used, all-stock, green Telluride!
    You see, I recently moved my family into a new home, and nearly my entire RC collection is packed up in a storage unit, so I won’t be building anything anytime soon. Thus, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get a Telly to run around at my new place, in the here and now.
    The truck came on Thursday, while our power was out due to a windstorm, so I didn’t even pull it out until Friday afternoon when I got home from work, and even then I only had about fifteen minutes to look it over, put in a low-charge lipo and run it around in the driveway, because I had to get back in the car and drive my daughter into town.
    The immediate problem, now, is that I can’t remember where I packed my charger, so I can charge my batteries!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Congrats on getting the Telly! (And in my favourite color, aswell!)

Too bad it's discontinued - it is a great platform for a beginner (or for the rest of us to modify).

I built one from scratch and was able to get that exact body just before it was discontinued. I have it pretty much for slowish trail running, with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T motor and the HW Quickrun 1080 ESC. It's technically specked as a Stampede 4x4 VXL (and then some...), and I absolutely love it!

I found the 30wt shock oil to be way too thick - it was bouncing all over the place. I now use 15wt, and it looks a lot more scale.

Thanks. I was planning to do a scratch build, also, and still have all the parts, but I think I'm going to pass on that, and sell both the project parts and this RTR. I found myself just wanting to run the Telluride fast, like a Stampede, which I already have. I really have too many scale trucks, already, including two TRX-4's (one not yet built).
    Or, I might just sell all the parts to build the custom one, and keep the hop-ups I had, and use those on this RTR. Maybe it'll be more fun once I slow it down with the brushed P4de diff gears, I don't know.

Can't believe it's been over a year since I bought this thing, but here I am. I haven't made any changes to it, but have mostly wheeled it like a low-level basher, or trail/rally truck, and have finally worn out the stock Titan 12T motor. Surprised it lasted so long. I think the coolest application I found was a sort of Rally SUV, when I came upon an ATV trail in some woods nearby.

Now, with all this Wuhan Virus shelter-in nonsense, I've been brainstorming for something to do, because I need to take a break from crawling in the backyard with the TRX-4. The ATV Trail I found is currently not accessible, because the whole area is closed, but I can still go walking down the road that leads to it. I was thinking it might be fun to put a new motor in the Telluride, install some LED's in the body, and go for a dusk run, after the kids go to bed. I've got plenty of electronics to pick from. I could do straight up sensorless brushless, or sensored brushless, or brushed. I'm thinking it might be cool to take the stock XL-5HV esc and Titan motor out of my TRX-4 Sport and put it in the Telluride, then use a TRX 3-ch TQI radio, in order to utilize the Cruise Control option, for the straight stretches of road.

Tried to add this to my most recent post but it had passed a 60 min rule.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rcdabbler; 04-09-2020 at 04:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Great to hear you kept it!

I gave mine to my brother when I bought the TRX-4 Defender, but he hardly drives it so I guess it's still mainly mine...
    Lately, I put on a set of Proline Super Swampers, and upped the f/r diff oil to 500k to get more traction in the snow (yes, I still have 3 feet of snow on my property ).

For lights I use the Stampede light bar (#6784), and I mounted a RPM E-maxx rear bumper (RPM80092) in which red led's are mounted.
    It's still a fun ride, and I love it for it's simplicity and ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Great to hear you kept it!

I gave mine to my brother when I bought the TRX-4 Defender, but he hardly drives it so I guess it's still mainly mine...
    Lately, I put on a set of Proline Super Swampers, and upped the f/r diff oil to 500k to get more traction in the snow (yes, I still have 3 feet of snow on my property ).

For lights I use the Stampede light bar (#6784), and I mounted a RPM E-maxx rear bumper (RPM80092) in which red led's are mounted.
    It's still a fun ride, and I love it for it's simplicity and ease of use.
    I like the PL Super Swampers, and have those on mine, as well. Question: Did you use E-Maxx bumper mounts for that RPM rear bumper? Would you mind posting a picture of it?

RC Champion
    Is the wheelbase on a Stampede 4x4 the same as a Telluride?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post

I think so, the chassis are 100% identical

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post

Pretty much. Chassis is the same but the Telluride came with shorter arms that are now found on the current version of the Ford Fiesta ST Rally (which runs the Slash 4x4 chassis).
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Pretty much. Chassis is the same but the Telluride came with shorter arms that are now found on the current version of the Ford Fiesta ST Rally (which runs the Slash 4x4 chassis).
    Thanks. I always wanted a Telly when they first came out. A buddy of mine has one and it was fun to drive and crawled surprisingly well when set up correctly.

I have a Stampede 4x4 and thought about turning it into a Telly, but since I have a TRX-4 Sport I figured it was a moot point. I use my Stampede quite often to bash with. It'll probably remain a P4de.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk