RC Racer

Torx screw conversion?

Anyone try using torx head screws? Very widely used in the automotive world why not the R/C hobby.
    I did see an ad in RC Car Action with Robinson Racing is using them for set screws which I think is a great idea after I stripped one once.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Anyone try using torx head screws? Very widely used in the automotive world why not the R/C hobby.
    I did see an ad in RC Car Action with Robinson Racing is using them for set screws which I think is a great idea after I stripped one once.
    I just got a set of the Robinson Torx screws and a Hudy T6 driver, i'm anxious to try them because I too have had problems with hex screws stripping and/or breaking off driver tips. The biggest problem i have is some pinion screws seem like SAE size not metric.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Never seen a full kit to convert to Torx, admittedly, I am not a fan of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I just got a set of the Robinson Torx screws and a Hudy T6 driver, i'm anxious to try them because I too have had problems with hex screws stripping and/or breaking off driver tips. The biggest problem i have is some pinion screws seem like SAE size not metric.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    The best thing you can do to not strip hex screws is to get a good set of drivers. I have a good set of hand drivers and a good set of 1/4" bit drivers (for electric screw drivers), I do a lot of wrenching and rarely have a hex strip on me.

I simply do not understand why there are still RC companies that use SAE hardware instead of metric. But, like you, I have Robinson pinions that take SAE and not metric grub screws. To keep my confusion down to a minimum on this, I have purged my collection of set screws so that the black ones are metric and the stainless ones are SAE.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thing is worth Torx screws is you are limited to the types of drivers you can use.... A get set of Tony's 12.9 heat treated screws and decent drivers = no stripped heads.

+1 Greatscott...

Oh, Happy holidays!!!!
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall