RC Competitor

Twin 750 Kershaw brushed motors

So I bought a used E-Maxx. The previous owner upgraded the stock motors to Kershaw 750s. The truck maybe runs 15miles an hou, running a lipo 2s 5000mah 25c battery. What could I do to make it a little faster more like 40mph and quicker? What would be a great brushless motor and esc for around 200?

Why are you only running 2S? I think those motors should be running on 4S.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    The guy I bought it from wasn't really sure. I do not really know what they are rated for, I believe it is still the stock esc. I am just getting into it.

RC Competitor
    If I bought a single brushless motor and new esc would it make it a little bit quicker? Now it is slow as Christmas.

RC Champion
    Yes. A decent brushless setup would make it quicker and more efficient as well.

RC Qualifier
    As answered by ksb above those motors should be on 4s not 2s (unless you meen 2x2s batteries), you'll get close to doubling your current speed on 4s and you won't have to purchase a brushless setup and can save money. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    As answered by ksb above those motors should be on 4s not 2s (unless you mean 2x2s batteries), you'll get close to doubling your current speed on 4s and you won't have to purchase a brushless setup and can save money. Just a thought.
    Yep. You'll need two 2S packs for the brushless setup anyway, so you might as well explore that first.

I am wondering what ESC is in the Maxx that you are running one 2S pack. Is it the stock EVX-2?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Yep. You'll need two 2S packs for the brushless setup anyway, so you might as well explore that first.

I am wondering what ESC is in the Maxx that you are running one 2S pack. Is it the stock EVX-2?
    Lol good question on the ESC. I assumed it was the stock EVX-2 and if it is it might explain the OP's comment on 2s about it being as slow as christmas trying to turn those 2 Kershaw motors or would 2s even turn them, I have no idea. Our one Emaxx with one 775 Titan is a blast on 4s with the EVX-2.

RC Competitor
    Yes it is the stock EVX-2. When the previous owner added the new motors he cut off the connector for a second battery and taped it off. Should I get a new esc that I can use with a brushless.motor down the road? Do any of yall have a brushless motor and upgraded esc for sale?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTbone90 View Post
    Yes it is the stock EVX-2. When the previous owner added the new motors he cut off the connector for a second battery and taped it off. Should I get a new esc that I can use with a brushless.motor down the road? Do any of yall have a brushless motor and upgraded esc for sale?
    Can you post a pic of the setup with the cut ESC wires. If your soldering skills are good you could add the wires back on and run it 4s it'll run really well and give you time to sort through different motor and esc combo's which are numerous.
    We have 2 Emaxx's one with the EVX-2 on 4s and one with the MM2 and Castles 2200 kv which we ran for a short time on 6s but now strictly 4s and rarely break a part.

RC Competitor
    Ok I will how do I post a picture?

RC Competitor

http://s50.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/MrTb...g.html?filters[user]=147414616&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1[/IMG]
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-28-2018 at 08:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTbone90 View Post
    http://s50.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/MrTb...g.html?filters[user]=147414616&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1[/IMG]
    I keep getting an error message and no pic.

RC Competitor
    What is another way to post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I keep getting an error message and no pic.

Just need to solder another connector on there.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-28-2018 at 08:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    How do you post a picture like that? Is it hard to soder? Would a local hobby shop help with that? With those motors and esc it will hold up to a 4s? When I do decide to go to brushless setup what would be best for the emaxx? I only need to run 40mph or so if that.

RC Qualifier
    I use Flikr to post pics but needed help to learn that lol. Soldering is a knack that you can learn as you go and the more you do the better you get. Starting off with decent equiptment makes things easier and yes your LHS should have the end required and help with the soldering if he hopes to have you as a future customer or at least that's my thinking.
    You should have minimal to no issues with 4s and your stock setup with stock 68 spur and 17 pinion, it gets me mid to high 20 mph range. If you gear it higher you could end up with heat issues and upgrading axles and diff's, run it as is and when you feel more like an upgrade by then you might want the Xmaxx (awesome truck) or maybe the Revo 2.0,UDR or any of the others that are really fast out of the box. I'm not trying to sway you just giving my opinion on taking your time to look around before you go all in on upgrades that another RC might already have what you desire.

RC Competitor
    Awesome thank you very much for the help. If I did want to just upgrade to a single brushless motor and esc what would be the best setup? I would like to get an xmaxx but that sticker price is a tough pill to swallow and traxxas doesn't have a military discount unfortunately.

RC Qualifier
    I really like Castles Mamba Monster 2 or Mamba Monster X and the 2200kv and stock gearing on 4s puts me into the mid 30 mph range and my Max temps have hit 122 F.
    Add up your costs for upgrading motor, esc, tires, axles and diff's and see if it's worth it to you in the long run to buy as you go or shop sales or hold off and run as is.
    It might seem steep for the price of the Xmaxx but by the time we finished building our Brushless Emaxx from the ground up I could of purchased 2 Xmaxx's lol. If you still want to proceed check this out in the Traxxas market place one has pretty much everything you need.
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rucks-for-Sale

RC Competitor
    Ok, I will look at buying an xmaxx or UDR. Out of those two which would be better for a beginner in the RC world? How much did it cost for your brushless setup if you don't mind me asking? If I run 4s on it for now should I go with dual 2s should I get 30c or higher? If I go with a 4s should it be 30c or higher? I can't find any threads of rcs for sale like the one you sent me.

RC Qualifier
    RC's are personal preference to the kind of driving you want. We love Monster truck looks, driving and bashing so we just got the Xmaxx and wish we had of gotten one sooner lol. Check your LHS and see where they bash or run and who has what and make a decision from there (THE XMAXX).
    It's hard to put an exact number on the build because of shipping costs to Canada and our dollar but roughly 400. motor+esc,200. 1 set of tires (we have 3 sets), 100. cvd's, 200. RPM parts, 200. 2-servo's (then a 350. overkill upgrade) every screw or bolt, bearings, bodies.
    So the exact figure never ends the hobby you start with ends up being an addiction lol with endless upgrades and numerous rc's.
    Go with 2=2's and anything over 30c to 50c is adequate but generally the higher the better but not always and 5000 mah is good.
    When you click on community and scroll to the bottom of the page under market place click on it then where it says show threads from the last day click on the down arrow pick a time frame then over on the right click show threads. Hope some of this helps

RC Competitor
    Thank you very much for the help. When you went brushless on your emaxx did you stay with dual motors or go to a single motor? With the stock esc on the emaxx would you go higher than a 50c battery or just stay there? On your xmaxx do you run 4 or 6s?

RC Qualifier
    A single Brushless on the Emaxx and 50c batteries are fine. We only have 8 packs through the Xmaxx so far since Christmas day 6-6s and 2-4s. Stock gearing and 22mph top speed on 4s, 36mph top speed on 6sbut keep in mind this was a Christmas present for our 6 yr old grandson which is plenty fast for a 20lb+ RC.
    I can see some gearing changes in the future but hope to stay pretty much stock on 6s (famous last words). So far I can't say enough good about the Xmaxx it's fun to drive and wish we had one sooner.

RC Champion
    36mph on 6s ????? Is your red set in training mode ?
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    36mph on 6s ????? Is your red set in training mode ?
    Nope it's in sports mode but it could be even lower it's hard to say I'm only going by the sensors that are installed I don't have a gps. Numerous forums and you tubers seem to say mid 30's is normal and I have no other data to base it on, I do know it seems really fast when it goes by for a 20lb+ rc lol.

The advantage to having an Emaxx and upgrading it is that you can gradually upgrade it as you need to, and spread the cost out over a period of time. If you go that way, the Emaxx is a crazy fun truck at 6s, and a very reliable truck on 4s. If you want everything done on your truck from the get go, then the Xmaxx 8s (running it on 6s) is the truck for you.

I have both trucks, and both my 6s Emaxx and my 6s Xmaxx are a blast to play with. The UDR seems to be a nice little truck too, but in my opinion it is over priced for what you get. I got another truck like it (from an other company) that had more going for it (for the same money), and I'm glad I went that way. The URD would be a good way to go though, if it was priced under $600.

That's just my opinion, though, and you know what they say about opinions..."They're like (La La La, Ta Dee, La La) everybody has one."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-30-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    Regularguy,

Overall what are your thoughts on the UDR? I kind of want to get something similiar to it like a rustler or erevo.