Thread: Rustler tires

RC poster

Rustler tires

Looking for some advice for good all terrain tires for my rustler. I need something that will be durable on pavement but also be good for off road. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    What type of offroad are you talking about? Grass, sand, hardpack, rocks, etc.
    I use my Rustlers on low cut grass, and the stock tires are great.
    You can get them here:
    https://m.traxxas.com/products/searc...gories%3A53904

RC Racer
    From what I've learned, the knobs on the stock rear tires will wear quickly on-road (depending on speed and use).

The fronts will last quite long.

I tried the Dirt Hawgs for both on-road and off-road, but the grip off-road is limited and they wear fast on-road (if you drive fast)

My advice is to get a second set of rear tires for off-road.

I use Louise Pioneer ST tires (same as Duratrax Lockup) for off-road and JConcept G-locs on-road.
    They work great on 2S.

RC poster
    If you want to have only one set, these look like they would work well.

https://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Tra...B52EE52B1B02C9

RC Enthusiast
    I got myself a set of those Traxxas Talon tyres, thinking the same thing - but tore the rubber off the rim within the 1st week, with all stock running gear and solely racing off-road.

I've since been trialling the Proline Trenchers;

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and so far they've proven to be much better quality and performance wise. That being said, they're definitely off-road tyres - not hybrid - but so are the talons above.

You could try something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but again, more off-road than on. Realistically i think you'll be hard pressed to find a decent set that performs well both on and off-road and don't end up real bald, real quick, from the on-road element.

When it's time to buy some tires, most of the people have tendency to go with a 2.8 size wheels setup but depending of the manufacturer, sometimes it's possible to go with a 2.2 rims and tires setup, they offer the same tires wideness but they are lighter and lower.

So it permits to reach a lower COG (center of gravity) and that gives a better vehicle control, with an increasement of it's handling characteristic and when a RC motor has less inertia to put in motion the demand for energy is less, so the ESC and motor temperature are reduce and batteries autonomy is increase and all that with a better vehicle acceleration capacity.

Tires choice is important but the size is also a part of the settings.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

RC Qualifier
    I would not recommend Traxxas tires for the rear of a Rustler. The stock tires that come with the Rustler are great but do wear out very quickly. Talons last longer but have very little traction on the Rustler, actually kinda sucks. I've tried it. The problem with Talons is they slip too much, which is great for preventing traction rolls on a high center of gravity truck like the Pede, but doesn't work out on a heavier lcg truck like the Rustler. I would actually recommend Proline Trenchers. My Dad and I both use those tires on our Rustlers and they are absolutely awesome. They have ridiculous amounts of grip and last forever.Had mine for about 2 years now and they are at the end of their life span, so you should expect around 1.5-2 years out of these tires. The only downside we have found for Trenchers is they are really heavy and take a toll on the driveline. Fortunately at least for 2s use, the Traxxas heavy duty driveshafts for the rear of the Stampede 4x4 are an inexpensive upgrade that hold up really well with Trenchers. Other thing you could do is use short course trenchers which should be lighter.

RC Qualifier
    ^funny you mention S.C. Tires. I found I really like short course wheels/tires on the rustler. The rustler can traction roll on on its stock tires if you do a "moose test" maneuvering. I have a real blast running stock sl2sh tires on one of my vxl Rustler, the narrower tire allows the car to slide a bit at the limit instead of traction roll then cartwheel.

Plus the taller sidewalls cushion the impacts a bit better too. Just put in a slightly larger opinion gear to make up for the slightly smaller tire diameter if you think the top speed is impacted.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My favorite all purpose tires for the Rustler were Trencher SCís.

RC Qualifier
    ^funny you mention S.C. Tires. I found I really like short course wheels/tires on the rustler. The rustler can traction roll on on its stock tires if you do a "moose test" maneuvering. I have a real blast running stock sl2sh tires on one of my vxl Rustler, the narrower tire allows the car to slide a bit at the limit instead of traction roll then cartwheel.

Plus the taller sidewalls cushion the impacts a bit better too. Just put in a slightly larger opinion gear to make up for the slightly smaller tire diameter if you think the top speed is impacted.
    That's it. I've heard stock Slash tires aren't the best though. They work that well on the Rustler? I suppose the Rustler could behave considerably differently with Slash tires than the Slash does. Same thing that happens with Stampede wheels on Rustler.

RC Qualifier
    I can't say it would work great for everyone, but it did solve my problem of traction rolling the rustler at the expense of some sliding on pavement when steering at the limit.

As you can imagine the Rustler behaves differently with its wheelbase and motor location but for my non racing all around use, it seems to do well.