Thread: Diff oil weight

RC poster

Diff oil weight

Traxxas stampede 4x4 Val, Running 2s, all stock except 2.8 badlands. What diff oil should I run front and rear? I mostly run on grassy hill. I searched till my patience ran out...lol

I usually run 30k rear and 50k front. On grass I've also just run 50k in both and it handled pretty much the same.

Diff oil isn't one of those should run this type of oil unless you are racing and know what track you are planning for. I personally suggest running 100k wt diff fluid to start then change it as you need from there if you are an off-road basher. On-road bashing is more a 30k wt or lower range.

RC poster
    I just rebuilt my diffs and used 100k fluid (more like a honey consistency) and although all seems well, could a thick fluid like that make a top speed suffer at all? It almost seems like it has slowed down a lot. All bearings replaced. Running 2s 5500kv. Very good torque, but not as flat out fast as it was and I didnt change anything else.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I went 500k fluid(butter)with XO-1 diff internals. Rock solid.

RC poster
    That must have been like caulking consistency! 100k was like molasses.

RC Racer
    100k front and 80k rear with xo1 diffs. Haven’t run it yet though. Feels good on the bench lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggitywrecked View Post
    I just rebuilt my diffs and used 100k fluid (more like a honey consistency) and although all seems well, could a thick fluid like that make a top speed suffer at all? It almost seems like it has slowed down a lot. All bearings replaced. Running 2s 5500kv. Very good torque, but not as flat out fast as it was and I didnt change anything else.
    Diff fluid should not effect straight line acceleration. But it can slow you down when corning or beater said as will increase the turn radius. Thinner diff fluid and corner tighter street racers use 30w or less where an off roadie will go from 50w or more to generalize alittle.