RC poster

Question castle sidewinder 4? please help

hey guys! i wanted to give my new slash 2wd a much needed boost. My truck so far has upgraded shocks and the lcg chassis. I am not too interested in upgrading to lipos but i was wondering if the castle sidewinder 4 esc and brushless motor set would still be worth it without lipos. my selection of bateries at the moment are 6 7 cell nimh batteries that are 3000mah,42000mah,and 5000mah. hope i can get an answer back soon thanks.

Brushless will use NIMH better than brushed but will really shiny with Lipos. You will never see the full potential without lipos. But it is still a worth while upgrade but you will be better off with lipos in the long run.

RC Qualifier
    Lipos are pretty safe if used and charged the correct way. These days with so many different companies marketing them, I would think they have the technology down pretty good. That said, buying quality lipo batteries is a good idea. Companies like Traxxas, SMC, and so on, have good batteries and good CS as well. I like SMC batteries myself, but have heard the new Traxxas lipos are pretty good as well. Like said, youíll not get the full potential out of the sidewinder 4 ESC without use of lipos, and good ones at that. Just as good NIMH batteries are a must with these ESCís. Just some food for thought.

RC poster
    Ok, so when I’m looking at lipo a lot of them are 7.4 volts but the batteries I use currently are 8.4 volts. Would that be an issue? Also what good lipo brands are there that I can get for cheaper than the traxxas batteries?

RC poster
    Actually 222, you said smc are good and those look like they are much cheaper than the traxxas batteries, are the smc batteries actually the amount of mah that they advertise? Also what model would your recommend for my car?

The voltage listed for lipo batteries usually reference the storage voltage so 1s would be 3.7, 2s 7.4 and 3s 11.1. However, the full voltage is 4.2, 8.4 and 12.6 respectively. NiMH batteries are fully charged at 1.5v per cell but usually drop to 1.2v until completely discharged at 1.0v. These batteries will be powerful at first but noticeably drop power throughout the charge. Lipo will maintain their punch throughout the charge and then drop suddenly so that is why they need to have a low-voltage protection.

Changing to a brushless system will be noticeable but the NiMH battery will not be able to sustain the amps it will draw for long. I was in the same boat years ago win regards to lipo but then took the leap and won't go back.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Yes SMC batteries are what they say they are as far as MAH. I wound look for a 2s somewhere in the 5-6000mah range and at least 40c. These should fit your vehicle nicely. Also make sure your charger will charge lipo batteries. I believe the 2s 5400mah ones will fit no problem. Check your user manual for the battery tray dimensions just to make sure before you buy one though. But from my search it appears that the 5400mah ones will fit. Hope this helps.

RC poster
    would a 2s 7600mah be too high, im wondering because traxxas sells the charger and two batteries for $200 and i would not mind spending that. When you look at the battery finder for the slash the 7600mah 2s lipo is available so i would think it is ok but im not sure. would the 7600 overheat the motor or not? also what is the 40c thing about?
    Last edited by clawmarkz; 01-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.

No. Though there’s more to voltages, amps and capacities, simply put the mah is the gas tank. A 2s 50c 7500mah battery will theoretically last 50% longer than a 2s 50c 5000mah battery.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    so if im understanding this right the 7600 will work with a slash?

RC Qualifier
    If it says it will fit then yes it will work.

RC poster
    ok then, thanks for all the help guys i think i have it all figured out.