Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Work continues...

For the most part the body is all painted up. We've hit cold snap up here in the inland NW, so I have to wait for the clear enamel coat. In the interim, I am getting the electronics planned out. Generally, from one RC to another I keep the same wiring scheme, but when they get this complicated, I have to draw it out. I am doing this for two reasons, first, make sure I capture everything before I start putting things together, that way I know I have everything included, and that I don't surprise myself when I am soldering things up. Second, if I need to do any upgrades or repairs I will have a good idea of how to jump into it. Also, electronics-wise, this is the most complicated RC I have done, beating out my King Hauler...

Here is what I have so far...

Tonka Tow Truck Electronics , on Flickr
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Great organization, and so smart to do. Now you just need to print it out, fold it up, and store it inside the truck's scale glove box so that future you (or other owner) is able to find it when it is needed!

More progress... \

I have the winch motors and winches installed, and the bed put together. It had been so long that I had forgotten how it had gone together. Trying to decide now if I'll put the ESCs for the winches in the bed, or hide them under the body...

image1, on Flickr

image2 , on Flickr

The booms are supported by a bushing at the top, and two bearings further down, which makes them swing really smooth; which, is kind of a problem, they want to swing out, so I put a zip tie between the two holding them in position until I get the servos attached.

Speaking of... The boom servos are the next thing to be installed, after that I can put the body together.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-24-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Holy crap scott!!!!! This thing is beautiful! Idk how i missed all this lol. I know i havent posted here i awhile, but i check in. Love that shade of blue. Definantly keeoin a eye on this one. Keep up the great work my friend! Subd

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Looking awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Looking awesome. It's not even mine but I cant wait to see a video of this thing in action, lol. Waiting.....waiting....ok is it done yet?

Thanks for the comments!!!

Work continues...

I have the body put together, now its time to start on the electronics. Everything will be mounted in the front section of the body, and the only things that will be on the chassis will be the motor, transmission servo and steering servo; this will make it easier to take apart and put back together when I need to. I am trying to decide if I am going to use the XL-5HV I have, or go with a HW1080. Sadly, I am thinking it will be the 1080 just because it has a power switch that I can make easily accessible.

Untitled

Untitled

Here are the boom winches...

Untitled

I am also trying to figure out what to do with the windshield. I will likely try giving it a hydrogen peroxide bath to try to get it back a bit clearer and remove a lot of the yellowing. If that doesn't work I'll have to decide if I'll paint over it, or try to find a new one off of E-Bay or Amazon.

Untitled

Along with all of this, I have a bunch of accessories to throw on, along with stickers.

Plus, I am betting a set of those new Traxxas tracks would looks REALLY good on this guy...

RC Racer
    I say keep with the tires, its a much more authentic look. Not that i dont like seeing you spend $$ ...
    Saw a guy running the trax last weekend. Looks ok, but performance really took a hit. He was swearing up a storm as 6-10 yr olds were taking lines in stock scx10s and Redcat gen 7s that he couldnt.

Started work on this guy again. Lost a lot of my enthusiasm with the bad paint, but this projects has just about all others stymied.

The electronics in this guy are a monster, I am trying to keep everything neat, but I think it will still look like a Radio Shack threw up inside of it.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

I have found a nice place to tuck the two boom winch ESCs, they will be out of the way and hidden then the truck is upright.

RC Competitor
    This is a great project, nice work !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12