Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Work continues...

For the most part the body is all painted up. We've hit cold snap up here in the inland NW, so I have to wait for the clear enamel coat. In the interim, I am getting the electronics planned out. Generally, from one RC to another I keep the same wiring scheme, but when they get this complicated, I have to draw it out. I am doing this for two reasons, first, make sure I capture everything before I start putting things together, that way I know I have everything included, and that I don't surprise myself when I am soldering things up. Second, if I need to do any upgrades or repairs I will have a good idea of how to jump into it. Also, electronics-wise, this is the most complicated RC I have done, beating out my King Hauler...

Here is what I have so far...

Tonka Tow Truck Electronics , on Flickr
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Great organization, and so smart to do. Now you just need to print it out, fold it up, and store it inside the truck's scale glove box so that future you (or other owner) is able to find it when it is needed!

More progress... \

I have the winch motors and winches installed, and the bed put together. It had been so long that I had forgotten how it had gone together. Trying to decide now if I'll put the ESCs for the winches in the bed, or hide them under the body...

image1, on Flickr

image2 , on Flickr

The booms are supported by a bushing at the top, and two bearings further down, which makes them swing really smooth; which, is kind of a problem, they want to swing out, so I put a zip tie between the two holding them in position until I get the servos attached.

Speaking of... The boom servos are the next thing to be installed, after that I can put the body together.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-24-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Holy crap scott!!!!! This thing is beautiful! Idk how i missed all this lol. I know i havent posted here i awhile, but i check in. Love that shade of blue. Definantly keeoin a eye on this one. Keep up the great work my friend! Subd

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Looking awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Looking awesome. It's not even mine but I cant wait to see a video of this thing in action, lol. Waiting.....waiting....ok is it done yet?

Thanks for the comments!!!

Work continues...

I have the body put together, now its time to start on the electronics. Everything will be mounted in the front section of the body, and the only things that will be on the chassis will be the motor, transmission servo and steering servo; this will make it easier to take apart and put back together when I need to. I am trying to decide if I am going to use the XL-5HV I have, or go with a HW1080. Sadly, I am thinking it will be the 1080 just because it has a power switch that I can make easily accessible.

Untitled

Untitled

Here are the boom winches...

Untitled

I am also trying to figure out what to do with the windshield. I will likely try giving it a hydrogen peroxide bath to try to get it back a bit clearer and remove a lot of the yellowing. If that doesn't work I'll have to decide if I'll paint over it, or try to find a new one off of E-Bay or Amazon.

Untitled

Along with all of this, I have a bunch of accessories to throw on, along with stickers.

Plus, I am betting a set of those new Traxxas tracks would looks REALLY good on this guy...

RC Racer
    I say keep with the tires, its a much more authentic look. Not that i dont like seeing you spend $$ ...
    Saw a guy running the trax last weekend. Looks ok, but performance really took a hit. He was swearing up a storm as 6-10 yr olds were taking lines in stock scx10s and Redcat gen 7s that he couldnt.

Started work on this guy again. Lost a lot of my enthusiasm with the bad paint, but this projects has just about all others stymied.

The electronics in this guy are a monster, I am trying to keep everything neat, but I think it will still look like a Radio Shack threw up inside of it.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

I have found a nice place to tuck the two boom winch ESCs, they will be out of the way and hidden then the truck is upright.

RC Competitor
    This is a great project, nice work !

RC Racer
    Keep going! You could probably solvent bond together an acrylic windshield replecement.

Working on the electronics and I am just starting to realize what a hydra this thing has turned out to be. I'll get it done...

I have had the front lights installed and wired for a while, this evening I got the tail lights wired up, just have to run the power lead to the front of the truck.

An idea I have been toying with and decided to pull the trigger on it, a light bar for the cab...

And finally, I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount the emergency flasher... I bought the blue and the yellow, given that most of the truck is blue, and it would be more proper, I will likely go with the yellow. I also have two spot lights that will get mounted up here...

Youre doin such a bomb job with this truck scott! Beautiful shade of blue. The lights look good. Keep up the great work my friend!

Hello, this is the first time I have been here. The truck you are building is beautiful! I cannot wait to see the finished product!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Hello, this is the first time I have been here. The truck you are building is beautiful! I cannot wait to see the finished product!
    Welcome to the dark side...!

I am knee deep into the electronics right now. Believe it or not, this hot mess represents progress...

Last night I tested the radio out and tweaked some settings, got the BEC installed and tested, tested the emergency light in all modes, tested the spot lights and light bar (remotely turn on and off remotely), and the main head and tail lights.

All power will be ran down, and all signal will be ran up. I am trying to find a way that I can stuff an ESS1+ in here, but right now I am just not seeing room. I still need to figure out where the battery will go, I have a couple of ideas...

Man, this truck has been a 100% nightmare, never had a build, scratch or otherwise give me so much trouble in just about every phase.

Just getting ready to put the lid on it, wanted to perform the final checks of the electronics. Everything is on but the motor does not work. Tried another motor, same deal, then I get a whiff of something, the ESC is on, but super hot, which is a tale-tale that the HW1080 is fried...

Unhappy...

Took the ESC back today to my LHS today, did not get a definitive answer to if they'd exchange the ESC for another one. The owner said he'd talk to the HW rep on Monday to see if he can exchange it. I understand policy and such, but with the retarded amount of money I have spent in there, a $50 return for the same item should be automatic. Anyhoo.... For now I am going to put the XL5-HV in to get things up and running.

Having to remove the ESC will give me a chance to clean up the wiring a little better. I wasn't terrrible pleased with the neatness of the wiring last time, this time I have a bracket I printed for my BEC, which should clean things up quite a bit, so we'll see.

I did finally get around to printing a stand for my TRX4, which beats the dog-snot out of the Duratrax stands I was trying to use. Those Duratrax stands fit most of my RCs just fine, but were just not made for the TRX4, I couldn't cycle the steering or run the ESC without tires hitting the stand and causing all kinds of workbench chaos.

If you are interested in this stand, I have put a little writeup on it in the 3D printing thread...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...In-3D-Printing

...and. I got a few more accessories mounted.

Nice job on the stand scott, looks good! The winches are comin along nicely as well. Cant wait to see this thing in action! The LHS should make it rite with u. All they gotta tell HW is it didnt work wen plugged in n im sure they wouldnt have thought anything of it. Hopefully it all works out in your favor brother

Awesome project!

Way back I had a Tamiya Bruiser that I lit up. I used Gini-Maglight reflectors and bulbs for headlights, cut out the front indicator lights from the white plastic grille, cast them clear and painted them with translucent orange. The whole truck had the headlights and taillights. It also had working turn and backup lights using micro switches the servo arms would trigger. I wish I had photos or video of it in action because all it took was one good roll to mangle the whole thing. I never did redo it.

My project now is going to be to fit the Mattel Halo Warthog body onto the TRX chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Awesome project!

My project now is going to be to fit the Mattel Halo Warthog body onto the TRX chassis.
    There have been a couple of those bodies for sale here lately, thought about doing the same thing.

Here is some running video of this guy. Like I said in the previous video, the booms still need some tweaking. I am thinking about getting rid of them altogether and just going with a big winch in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-k6ET8WW4o

And, some pictures with it lit up...

A pic of its belly...

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    There have been a couple of those bodies for sale here lately, thought about doing the same thing.
    Are you talking about the Lexan body or the injection-moulded toy?

Are you talking about the Lexan body or the injection-moulded toy?
    Injection molded.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Injection molded.
    I couldn't find any nearby so I just bought on Amazon.

I couldn't find any nearby so I just bought on Amazon.
    For a month or two it seemed like there were two or three on FB Marketplace and Craig's every time I looked, but haven't seen any for a few weeks. But, in addition to all of the tweaking I need to do on the Tonka rig, I have four projects sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get to them. Aside from possibly using Traxxas ESCs and motors, none are Traxxas-based rigs like this one. Two I am really wanting to get into, one is a Tonka steam roller that I am going to power with a MOA drive train, and the other is a RC excavator that I am going to rip the guts out of and redo. I also have an old Radio Shack Armatron that I want to make remote controlled...

So many projects, so little time, so little money...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12