RC poster

Why is does Traxxas seem to be a a four letter word in the rc world?

I am a 41 yr old newbie to rc. Bought my first truck(redcat volcano s30) a couple of months back. It was better than the internet reviews led it to be, and except for my own mistakes has been a pretty decent truck. I'm considering getting a little more serious and wanted a truck to take to the local track. I love this truck, it had been sitting for 5 years and was siezed, little penetrating oil, fresh batteries, tunes easily and runs like a scalded dog. But, I have been reading tons of different forums and I have seen recat placed above traxxas in fact flat out hate for their models(especially nitro). I just don't understand, what am I missing. The slayer pro at least seems to be a good design and handles my inability to drive it with ease.
    Last edited by skumandeth; 01-01-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Jealousy,
    1. Does redcat have their own forums?
    2. Is Redcat rated #1 in Customer Service?
    3. Name any other R/C manufacturer that makes not only it's own models but also sells their own brand of batteries, motors, engines, chargers. All under the same roof and customer service Traxxas is well known for.

Everyone has their opinions, ever hear of the TMAXX? It's been around so long yet still is being sold and ran today. What does THAT tell you??

Being the #1 seller in RTR R/c's for this amount of time is going to develope their share of haters. I have other R/C's I like them too. But I end up having to research on unsupported forums for help if needed.

I think that answers your question.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by skumandeth View Post
    I am a 41 yr old newbie to rc. Bought my first truck(redcat volcano s30) a couple of months back. It was better than the internet reviews led it to be, and except for my own mistakes has been a pretty decent truck. I'm considering getting a little more serious and wanted a truck to take to the local track. I love this truck, it had been sitting for 5 years and was siezed, little penetrating oil, fresh batteries, tunes easily and runs like a scalded dog. But, I have been reading tons of different forums and I have seen recat placed above traxxas in fact flat out hate for their models(especially nitro). I just don't understand, what am I missing. The slayer pro at least seems to be a good design and handles my inability to drive it with ease.
    I intended to say I bought a used slayer pro that had been sitting for 5 years.

Traxxas has dabbled in racing, and, for the most part, invented the MT racing class (which has died out), but for the most part, Traxxas RCs have been marketed for two types of RCers, new kids and bashers. A lot of people do not pay Traxxas any respect because of these two reasons, and because Traxxas has zero track presence for any races beyond local level racing.

Another reason people dislike Traxxas is because it is the 800lbs gorilla in the RC world. As such, Traxxas has flexed its muscles as of late protecting designs that it has patented; this has also made people unhappy with the company.

Traxxas has upped its game lately with the TRX4, which has taken a lot of business away from established crawler/scale RC companies, and forced them to put more effort into new designs, or face extinction. This has also made devotees of these companies unhappy with Traxxas, hence, more bad-mouthing.

But honestly, a good portion of the negative comments made against Traxxas are from RCers that heard those comments from someone else, and really have no idea of what they are talking about. Just like everyone bad-mouths Integy for making crap parts (they do), few of these people actually have actual experience with Integy parts, know little about which ones are truly junk and which are actually well made, and are, for the most part, talking out of the brown-side of their underwear.

Really, you have to look at who is making the comments. Recently I overheard a conversation between two RCers at a crawling event talking about how "Traxxas was for noobs", and both of these guys had been in the RC hobby for less than six months.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    traxxas started the short course truck catagory with the slash like 10 years ago and they are still in production.... a brushed slash with rpm upgrades is almost undestructable..... its like this in the automotive hobbies, bicycle hobbies and many others.... people think because the spent x amount of $$ on an rc car, bicycle, honda civic etc etc that what they have is better than what other people have... these same people cant drive worth the and make excuses or wine when they lose..... I see people spend $4-5k on a mountain bike and talk smack to those just getting started with a $400 bike....my 2013 $379 GT aggressor works just fine for me and I am happy with it.... same can be said for my redcat everest 10 and my slash I got used work just fine for me.....they were what I could afford, if people dont like what I have they can fund my next purchase or off

*Traxxas has a strict language policy. Refrain from using such language and edit your post if the filter has been tripped.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-08-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: language

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Jealousy,
    1. Does redcat have their own forums?
    2. Is Redcat rated #1 in Customer Service?
    3. Name any other R/C manufacturer that makes not only it's own models but also sells their own brand of batteries, motors, engines, chargers. All under the same roof and customer service Traxxas is well known for.

Everyone has their opinions, ever hear of the TMAXX? It's been around so long yet still is being sold and ran today. What does THAT tell you??

Being the #1 seller in RTR R/c's for this amount of time is going to develope their share of haters. I have other R/C's I like them too. But I end up having to research on unsupported forums for help if needed.

I think that answers your question.
    Dunno about anyone else but I found the were the worst in customer support. Had a major failure on my second run. They blamed me and refused to send replacement parts

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    As stated, newbies.. so when xyz happens and abc hits the fan, the user blames the product.

Plus, if you only have RTR RCs, then you aren't a real RC company gotta build it from scratch for it to count.

Would love to see the nitro MT races come back tho =(
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Dunno about anyone else but I found the were the worst in customer support. Had a major failure on my second run. They blamed me and refused to send replacement parts

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Search and you will find many people who are very satisfied with their customer service.

What was the failure, care to elaborate on your experience?
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Traxxas used to build race cars from what I understand. For a long time though they just relied on their old 2wd and 4wd platform. Those designs are now close to 30 years old. They sell well to new enthusiasts but after 20 years other manufacturers moved on and left traxxas behind in racing, bashing, and in trends that traxxas should have gotten involved in. I think the only way they couldn't touch traxxas was probably in the price to quality ratio until recently. You can only hold on to an old design for so long before it's obsolete. Ford figured that out with the model t. I feel like this is what tarnished traxxas's reputation.

I feel like traxxas is starting to turn things around finally with their new releases. The x maxx and the udr both seemed to hit the market at a great time to take advantage of the fairly new large scale boom. The trx 4 was a late to the game but I'm glad traxxas did their research before jumping into the game. But I am a bit disappointed that the new rustler 4x4 still uses the old design.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it