RC Enthusiast

got a used xmaxx for xmass,,,,,few questions...please,,

hi all, i got a barely used xmaxx with cooling fans set up and temp sensors on it, it came with 2- 11.1v 5000mah 25c batteries, i have a traxxas summit 1/10 and have a set of nimh 7.4v batteries and a set of 5000mah 25c 7.4v gens ace battieres, can i use either of the summit batteries in the xmaxx or the xmaxx batteries in the summit? i notice the receoneded batteires for the xmaxx are the 11.1v and 14.8v, what would u all receomend 11.1 or 14,8? can i use 11.1v in my summit, i am planning on getting another set of batteires so i have 2 sets each truck, is there any batteires i can use in both trucks?
    also is there a way to make the xmaxx 2whd? if so is it fun to drive that way or uncontraollable, thanx in advance for any tips, i am a novice rc owner. thanx

RC Competitor
    Is this the 8s or 6s version? Im guessing 8?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    i believe its the 6s version,

RC Competitor
    If it is in fact the Gen 1 (6s), you wont be able to use 14.8V 4s batteries. Have to stick with the 11.1V 3s.

As for the summit, if it has the EVX-2 ESC and Titan 775, it can most certainly handle the 11.1V 3s. In fact, you can ever go one step up to a 14.8V 4s.

2wd XMAXX? Its possible, but no really recommended. If your truck is the Gen 1, that means it has no cush drive, so the axle speed cant vary, imo, thats the most fun you can get out of it!
    Last edited by J.hyland; 01-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by J.hyland View Post
    If it is in fact the Gen 1 (6s), you wont be able to use 14.8V 4s batteries. Have to stick with the 11.1V 3s.

As for the summit, if it has the EVX-2 ESC and Titan 775, it can most certainly handle the 11.1V 3s. In fact, you can ever go one step up to a 14.8V 4s.

2wd XMAXX? Its possible, but no really recommended. If your truck is the Gen 1, that means it has no cush drive, so the axle speed cant vary, imo, thats the most fun you can get out of it!
    yes my summit has that esc, will the 7.2v lipos i have for the summit be ok in the xmaxx? i dont think the xmaxx 11.1v will fit in the summit baattery spots,i want to buy one more set of lipos and hoping for a set i can use in both trucks, i thought the xmaxx in 2whd may be fun and sporty to drive, i havent taken her out yet since xmas due to stupid work and gets dark so early,,,, thanx for the replies so far

RC Competitor
    Well, they are compatible however it would feel very slow due to much less power.
    Eg.
    2 7.4V 2s batts = 14.8V. The equivalent to a single 4s batt.
    2 11.1V 3s batts = 22.2V. The power difference is quite substantial going up in cell counts. You would notice a big different going up to a 3s (11.1V) in your summit. Now double that and thats the power difference in your XMAXX. I highly recommend getting a set of SMC 3s Lipos. Best bang for your buck imo. Make sure they are at least 5000MaH for longer runtime. My set of SMC's for my Gen 1 are 11.1V 3s 5400MaH 90C batts. About $60 a piece I believe compared to about $90 for the traxxas ones. Plus, SMC's are hardcase.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Well, they are compatible however it would feel very slow due to much less power.
    Eg.
    2 11.1V 3s batts = 22.2V. The power difference is quite substantial going up in cell counts. You would notice a big different going up to a 3s (11.1V) in your summit. Now double that and thats the power difference in your XMAXX. I highly recommend getting a set of SMC 3s Lipos. Best bang for your buck imo. Make sure they are at least 5000MaH for longer runtime. My set of SMC's for my Gen 1 are 11.1V 3s 5400MaH 90C batts. About $60 a piece I believe compared to about $90 for the traxxas ones. Plus, SMC's are hardcase.

thanx for the reply, ill check those out, i was going to order on amazon.ca, i know they carry gens ace brand, the 7.2v lipos i have for the summit are gens ace, they are quite a bit more powerful than the traxxas nimh i also have, ill check amazon for set of ones u sugested,

RC Enthusiast
    Eg.

what do you think of these? apparantly amazon.ca does not carry the smc....
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07594LWWS?...200.91%20Inch)

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, refrain from using such language and edit your post when a word you wrote is replaced with "**"
    Last edited by Double G; 01-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.

You being a Amazon man, might I suggest these. They also make 5000mha for $43, but they are out of stock at present. I use the 5k's for my Emaxx, XO and Super Baja Ray; and 6.6k for my boats and Xmaxx.

https://www.amazon.com/6600mAh-75C-1...s=vant+lipo+3s
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-03-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    What would happen if he got a pair of 3s batteries? Ran them in series in xmaxx, and parallel in the summit? As he has the xmaxx for bashing, thinking the extended run time of the summit in parallel would be preferred over speed of 4s?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    You being a Amazon man, might I suggest these. They also make 5000mha for $43, but they are out of stock at present. I use the 5k's for my Emaxx, XO and Super Baja Ray; and 6.6k for my boats and Xmaxx.

https://www.amazon.com/6600mAh-75C-1...s=vant+lipo+3s
    ahh yes i looked at those, unfortunatly amazon.ca is out of them but ill keep and eye out, thanx for the receomendation on that brand, real world reveiws are better than online biassed ones haha

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyt27 View Post
    What would happen if he got a pair of 3s batteries? Ran them in series in xmaxx, and parallel in the summit? As he has the xmaxx for bashing, thinking the extended run time of the summit in parallel would be preferred over speed of 4s?

hmmm i dont know how to do that but extended run times on the summit interest me, i only use the summit for crawling so its in low range all the time and battery lasts pretty good as barely any throttle, i would luv to try what u sugest, i wanted to run the summit on one battery but was told not possible, is your way possible?
    Last edited by Double G; 01-03-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Quick rundown, parallel is just like it sounds, both positive and negative are connected to the other positive and negative, so positive from one battery to the positive of the second battery, and negative of one battery to the negative side of the second. By doing this the voltage stays the same, so 11v in 3s, and double the size of the battery, IE: 2x 5000mah batteries would be the same as one 10,000mah battery. By series you are hooking up one negative of battery A to negative on truck, the positive of A to negative of B battery, and the positive of B battery to the positive of the truck. This will keep the capacity of the battery the same, but doubles the voltage. IE: 2x 5000mah 3s batteries still equals 5000mah, but now 6s, or 22v. IF YOU DO THIS TO YOUR SUMMIT YOU WILL SMOKE YOUR ELECTRONICS. The xmaxx is already wired this way, and not having a summit, I imagine it's the same, so a quick Gogle search should show removing one set of terminals on one truck connector and swapping them. AGAIN PLEASE RESEARCH SO YOU DO THIS CORRECTLY! As for batteries, currently using lectron pro (3s, 5200mah), seem to be good at half price of the reactions I w as s using. But will likely get SMC 4s 9000 mah batteries for the x maxx eventually. Hope this helps!

I can only imagine the summit with 2, 3s 5200 batteries in parallel would be a hour runtime, the same batteries in the xmaxx, 15 minutes?

Last edited by Double G; 01-03-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Quick rundown, parallel is just like it sounds, both positive and negative are connected to the other positive and negative, so positive from one battery to the positive of the second battery, and negative of one battery to the negative side of the second. By doing this the voltage stays the same, so 11v in 3s, and double the size of the battery, IE: 2x 5000mah batteries would be the same as one 10,000mah battery. By series you are hooking up one negative of battery A to negative on truck, the positive of A to negative of B battery, and the positive of B battery to the positive of the truck. This will keep the capacity of the battery the same, but doubles the voltage. IE: 2x 5000mah 3s batteries still equals 5000mah, but now 6s, or 22v. IF YOU DO THIS TO YOUR SUMMIT YOU WILL SMOKE YOUR ELECTRONICS. The xmaxx is already wired this way, and not having a summit, I imagine it's the same, so a quick Gogle search should show removing one set of terminals on one truck connector and swapping them. AGAIN PLEASE RESEARCH SO YOU DO THIS CORRECTLY! As for batteries, currently using lectron pro (3s, 5200mah), seem to be good at half price of the reactions I w as s using. But will likely get SMC 4s 9000 mah batteries for the x maxx eventually. Hope this helps!

I can only imagine the summit with 2, 3s 5200 batteries in parallel would be a hour runtime, the same batteries in the xmaxx, 15 minutes?

ahh ok i get it,i luv the idea of long run time for the summit but not sure i want to switch terminals around to make that happen, i assumed the summit could take 11.1v 2 batteries but maybe its only rated for 2s bateries as thats what it came with, 7.2v batteires,
    so in short i can safely run the summit batteres in the xmaxx but not viceversa correct?
    i read that nimh is not receonded for the xmaxx? is this correct,? i have a good set of 2s 7.2v nimh for the summit i was going to try in the xmaxx

thanx for the great explanation for parallel/series

RC Competitor
    The thing about the xmaxx is its so huge, and heavy, you need a ton of power to make it move. Shure you can put a lawn mower engine in a dump truck, and it will move it, but how much strain are you putting on that engine to move it? How long will it last?.... simply any NIMH battery just cant provide enough juice fast enough. And in my opinion neither can small, or cheap lipos. The summit can be ran in 2 or 4s, and with two 3s batteries in parallel, it would be right in the middle. The first gen x maxx i believe could be run on dual 2s=4s, but if you think about it, thats running the same voltage and power as your summit.......now pick the two up.....x maxx feel a little heavier? Yet your asking the batteries to do the same amount of work. To me this is where a lot of ESC errors come in, by running less voltage, you increase amperage, amperage is what causes heat= meltdown.
    Heres a nifty little article i just found.
    https://traxxas.com/support/Dual-Batteries-116-Models
    Huh. Actually just did a little research, seams wiring a summit in parallel for 3s is a little harder than i thought, looks like the jumper is inside the ESC. Again, never owned one....
    But still not impossible with parallel series adaptors i imagine. Anyone else have any input?.....

RC Enthusiast
    The thing about the xmaxx is its so huge, and heavy, you need a ton of power to make it move. Shure you can put a lawn mower engine in a dump truck, and it will move it, but how much strain are you putting on that engine to move it? How long will it last?.... simply any NIMH battery just cant provide enough juice fast enough. And in my opinion neither can small, or cheap lipos. The summit can be ran in 2 or 4s, and with two 3s batteries in parallel, it would be right in the middle. The first gen x maxx i believe could be run on dual 2s=4s, but if you think about it, thats running the same voltage and power as your summit.......now pick the two up.....x maxx feel a little heavier? Yet your asking the batteries to do the same amount of work. To me this is where a lot of ESC errors come in, by running less voltage, you increase amperage, amperage is what causes heat= meltdown.
    Heres a nifty little article i just found.
    https://traxxas.com/support/Dual-Batteries-116-Models
    Huh. Actually just did a little research, seams wiring a summit in parallel for 3s is a little harder than i thought, looks like the jumper is inside the ESC. Again, never owned one....
    But still not impossible with parallel series adaptors i imagine. Anyone else have any input?.....

ahh thats a good read, yes i realized my 2s batteires would prob work inthe xmaxx but of course be a bit slower. i took the xmaxx out today with the 2s batteries just to get a feel with the xmaxx as the summit is my only real decent rc besides a nitro years ago. the batteries did well in my mind, i dont know how fast the xmaxx is so to me it seemed pretty fast compared to the summit which isnt very fast, i dont drive hard or bash, i actually prefer to crawl, can the xmaxx be geared down? if so whats a good receomedation as for gearing,

RC Qualifier
    Can definitely gear it down, but I might go with 6s so you still have some punch when needed. A 3.8 or so ratio might be good

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
    ahh thats a good read, yes i realized my 2s batteires would prob work inthe xmaxx but of course be a bit slower. i took the xmaxx out today with the 2s batteries just to get a feel with the xmaxx as the summit is my only real decent rc besides a nitro years ago. the batteries did well in my mind, i dont know how fast the xmaxx is so to me it seemed pretty fast compared to the summit which isnt very fast, i dont drive hard or bash, i actually prefer to crawl, can the xmaxx be geared down? if so whats a good receomedation as for gearing,
    The max speed we have gotten with the Xmaxx on 4s is app. 22 mph (maybe 10 or 15 min max run time) but here is a connector I made up for longer run times on a few of our rc's.

Hooked up to two 2s bateries keeps 2s but increases the mah for longer run times, hooked up after a run just to demonstrate both batteries shows 2s voltage not 4s.

Here's a link to SMC Canada and if it comes up in French look top left and click to see in English
    https://begoracing.com/shop/index.ph...tegory&path=42
    I hope some of this helps.

RC Qualifier
    I did this with 4 trx 3s 5000 packs. Gave me 6s 10000mah, worked good but charging 4 bats for each run was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    The max speed we have gotten with the Xmaxx on 4s is app. 22 mph (maybe 10 or 15 min max run time) but here is a connector I made up for longer run times on a few of our rc's.

Hooked up to two 2s bateries keeps 2s but increases the mah for longer run times, hooked up after a run just to demonstrate both batteries shows 2s voltage not 4s.

Here's a link to SMC Canada and if it comes up in French look top left and click to see in English

RC Enthusiast

ohhh thats awsome pics, is there a fitting, that would do the opposite? instead of running 2-2s in my summit i would like to run the 3s i have but single battery,i only crawl with the summit so i am easy on the battery, i get pretty decent run times even on the nimh batteires,

RC Qualifier
    It might be possible, but I was showing you the connector I made up to extend run times. You might be able to use a harness that has 2 female ends to plug into the ESC and connect the 2 red to the POS. that goes to the Battery and connect the 2 blacks to the NEG. and then this 1 plug goes to the single battery.
    I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THE ESC WILL NOT FRY SO CHECK WITH THE SOMEONE WITH AN ELECTRONICS BACK GROUND FIRST. Just use caution in theory it should but not something I would try personally and would just get a higher mah battery myself.
    I hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    It might be possible, but I was showing you the connector I made up to extend run times. You might be able to use a harness that has 2 female ends to plug into the ESC and connect the 2 red to the POS. that goes to the Battery and connect the 2 blacks to the NEG. and then this 1 plug goes to the single battery.
    I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THE ESC WILL NOT FRY SO CHECK WITH THE SOMEONE WITH AN ELECTRONICS BACK GROUND FIRST. Just use caution in theory it should but not something I would try personally and would just get a higher mah battery myself.
    I hope this helps.
    hi rain dog, nice to see a fellow bc guy here, i am from the okanagan valley,i think what i am trying to do is easier than that, i googoled it and seems u simply need to jumper the battery terminal thats not the main one, i wonder if i can buy this jumper at my local shop,just called a battery jumper i assume,

RC Qualifier

Talking

the xmaxx in 2wd
    Remove the center drive shaft and a little adapter from the shaft to the center differential or gear as well as the front differential pinion gear and you should be good to go😁

RC Qualifier
    hi rain dog, nice to see a fellow bc guy here, i am from the okanagan valley,i think what i am trying to do is easier than that, i googoled it and seems u simply need to jumper the battery terminal thats not the main one, i wonder if i can buy this jumper at my local shop,just called a battery jumper i assume,
    Big hello from the coast.
    Ok lol I probably should have asked for more info first my bad. I hope this is what you were looking for.
    https://traxxas.com/products/search?...battery+jumper
    This guy explains the process better then I could.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7xZFg5vrM
    If you get stuck pm me me and we'll sort it out.

RC Enthusiast
    Big hello from the coast.
    Ok lol I probably should have asked for more info first my bad. I hope this is what you were looking for.
    https://traxxas.com/products/search?...battery+jumper
    This guy explains the process better then I could.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7xZFg5vrM
    If you get stuck pm me me and we'll sort it out.
    ahhh yes thats exactly what i was looking for and that vid explained everything i want to do, i want to run one 3s battery on my summit and have an easy coneecttion when i want to run the 2-2s baterries, gonna see if my local shop has one of those.

RC Qualifier
    ahhh yes thats exactly what i was looking for and that vid explained everything i want to do, i want to run one 3s battery on my summit and have an easy coneecttion when i want to run the 2-2s baterries, gonna see if my local shop has one of those.
    If they don't buy a female connector and solder your own wire to the tabs and you should be good to go.

RC Enthusiast
    If they don't buy a female connector and solder your own wire to the tabs and you should be good to go.
    ahh yes that sounds easy too, hows the wether on the island? any snow? we just got a dump and half, winter wonderland now

RC Qualifier
    Not happy lol we got about a ft and then it stated raining at 3am and it hasn't stopped, made for a ugly slushy mess. 1st snowfall of the year so i guess complaining is not worthy lol. It makes it really hard to rc in the slush but we've been pretty blessed with the weather so far this year with lots of run times, we even took the M41 out last weekend for some 6s runs and motor temps hit a max of 82f.

RC Enthusiast
    Not happy lol we got about a ft and then it stated raining at 3am and it hasn't stopped, made for a ugly slushy mess. 1st snowfall of the year so i guess complaining is not worthy lol. It makes it really hard to rc in the slush but we've been pretty blessed with the weather so far this year with lots of run times, we even took the M41 out last weekend for some 6s runs and motor temps hit a max of 82f.
    wow 82f thats cool,,,literally haha, its supossed to warm up here and all this white will turn brown and ugly,,,,,,

RC Qualifier
    wow 82f thats cool,,,literally haha, its supossed to warm up here and all this white will turn brown and ugly,,,,,,
    That's what we have going on lol.