RC Qualifier

Rustler 4x4 vxl buildup

Hey guys. I am building a custom rustler 4x4. My basic starting chassis was the rustler 4x4 vxl. I bought a 120a esc and a castle motor. I also have some steel titanium alloy cvd's for the rear. I am looking to buy some 4s batteries, proline trenchers or badlands, and metal servo gears. Anything im missing?

RC Enthusiast
    MIP axles instead, and metal spur gear, you'll probably want to upgrade shocks eventually as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkatoytaco View Post
    MIP axles instead, and metal spur gear, you'll probably want to upgrade shocks eventually as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    i broke a mip xduty yesterday on my rustler
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    oof sorry man

RC Qualifier
    I do not want to get a metal spur gear. If i do and a rock gets in between it will break the motor instead of the spur gear. I am planning to upgrade shocks. Mip axles are just too expensive. I might get integy though

RC Qualifier
    Update:
    Rustler 4x4 vxl shipped yesterday.
    Rear cvd's shipped too.
    Still waiting for castle motor and 120a esc.

RC Champion
    the mips are expensive but high quality. breaking one must of been a fluke.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Sure. I find mip slightly overrated though.

RC Qualifier
    So An update on my new rusty. Today i got my first run on 3s box stock. Popped off a shock cap right away. It went back on but I lost some oil. To be fair i did land heavily on it off a big jump landing on gravel. I am suprised by how powerful it is. Even on 2s it pulls wheelies. I might loosen the slipper clutch. It forward flips and flips over while braking too much. I put double thick spacers in the suspension. I mainly run speed runs and do jumps so the stiffer the suspension the better. Still waiting on my new power system tho. I bought a traxxas ez peak charger and an hrb 6000 mah 3s lipo

RC Racer
    I am really surprised that the aluminum shock caps have not been made standard on the VXL equipped cars especially the 350-400 dollar 4wd models yet. I can't imagine it would cost more than a few dollars in material and I bet people would pay an extra 10 dollars to have it stock.

RC Qualifier
    lol u just broke urs too.

RC Racer
    lets just say I popped off more than one. lol.

TBH after I looked at my cars, they don't even "need" to put on the aluminum caps, for the cheaper models just put in the travel limiter on the shaft they have on some of the big bore shocks, my understanding is that the piston+shaft over traveling is what pushes on the cap causing it to pop off.

RC Qualifier
    I landed nose down off a decently big jump. Afterward i noticed that it popped off. It has not happened since and I have put 5-6 2s packs through it. I am waiting for a new 3s battery in the mail though. The one I used was way too big and I duct taped it down. Only damage done about the shock cap popping off was some oil came out, but I put an extra spacer from my pede 4x4 and it is working fine now.

RC Qualifier
    SOOOOO another update. I am using these tires as i said before. I got the 3s. Its an hrb 6000 mah 50c max 100c battery. VERY powerful. I noticed that if I went in reverse it would do wheelstanding frontflips. So I took the wheelie bar off. LOL. Now it does wheelstanding backflips. I am probably going to snap the cvd's so I will buy some. Also going to buy an integy double cooling fan and heatsink combined. Do i plug it into the esc or the receiver? Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    SOOOOO another update. I am using these tires as i said before. I got the 3s. Its an hrb 6000 mah 50c max 100c battery. VERY powerful. I noticed that if I went in reverse it would do wheelstanding frontflips. So I took the wheelie bar off. LOL. Now it does wheelstanding backflips. I am probably going to snap the cvd's so I will buy some. Also going to buy an integy double cooling fan and heatsink combined. Do i plug it into the esc or the receiver? Thanks.
    Receiver, extra words

RC Qualifier
    Would I plug it into the extra channel on the receiver? Or is there a slot on the esc for fans? My redcat has a 80a hobbywing esc, and that has a plug for a fan on the esc. If the vxl-3s has a plug like this where is it located?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Would I plug it into the extra channel on the receiver? Or is there a slot on the esc for fans? My redcat has a 80a hobbywing esc, and that has a plug for a fan on the esc. If the vxl-3s has a plug like this where is it located?
    That plug is on the rear of the esc. 2 prongs. That is usually used for the esc fan you can purchase. The motor fans should be plugged into a spare receiver channel

RC Qualifier
    ok. I was gonna get a motor fan and put in the speed gearing. I am considering the integy double cooling fan + heatsink. The esc will shutoff when it gets too hot. IS that fine? OR should i get an esc fan too? Right now i will be testing my new castle motor, and it did not get hot on my pede 4x4 so i will wait for now though