Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

TSM update for receiver

My firmware is up to date. Just checked but Iím getting a message from the app that the TSM needs an update to work correctly. Connected via tqi but keeps re trying as failed. Turned off and on a dozen times now. Getting a bit frustrated as I canít use the app for the message at start up. Any idea guys and girls?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin7 View Post
    My firmware is up to date. Just checked but I’m getting a message from the app that the TSM needs an update to work correctly. Connected via tqi but keeps re trying as failed. Turned off and on a dozen times now. Getting a bit frustrated as I can’t use the app for the message at start up. Any idea guys and girls?
    Do you have the vehicle with the tsm connected while starting the update?

RC Qualifier
    My firmware is up to date. Just checked but I’m getting a message from the app that the TSM needs an update to work correctly. Connected via tqi but keeps re trying as failed. Turned off and on a dozen times now. Getting a bit frustrated as I can’t use the app for the message at start up. Any idea guys and girls?
    Delete the app shut your phone off pull your sim card (sometimes the phone needs to reboot) give it 10min put the card in start up download the app then do your updates.

RC Racer
    There is another old thread in the transmitter or receiver forums and then just commented this:

I know I am reviving an old thread but surprisingly this is the most recent info google displays when searching Bluetooth failure with traxxas TSM receiver update.

Have a literally 5 day old X Maxx 8s and bought the Bluetooth adapter and turned everything on. Updated the transmitter fine and when it went to the receiving very it kept switching between validating and then barely installing, validating, installing on and on. Tried the above and didn’t work. I called Traxxas and they said if it jams up at Receiver then it’s 99% a receiver problem and normally they would require me to send in truck but he offered to send me out a new receiver! This is why I love Traxxas. So, am currently awaiting new receiver and will let you know if it works.

Also I was terrified I bricked the truck as the transmitter inputs would do nothing even after closing the app and all you have to do is force close the app, turn everything off then back on and you can bash away while you wait for receiver or just decide to return Bluetooth module.

RC poster
    What software Version is your TSM Receiver ?

RC Qualifier
    Mine is APP Version 6.0.0.9821
    TQI Receiver 2.0.73
    TQI TX 6.0.28
    TSM Receiver 6.0.48
    Telemetry Expander 1.0.46
    VXL-8S ESC 2.3.3
    Firmware Version 1.0.30

RC poster
    It sounds like you have the most up to date software, what does it say it needs to update, from what version to what version?

RC Qualifier
    To be honest I don't recall I had 5 rc's to do so what I did was remove the tops off of all the receivers just incase a rebinding was necessary and all 5 updated the tx, rx and esc's. Not one glitch or hiccup through the whole process, but as mentioned in previous posts I start from scratch by deleting the app and shutting down my phone and pulling the sim card.
    After the first tx has updated all 5 rc's I turn it off and start the updates to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tx's and make sure everything works and binds. It might be overkill but I hate down time and I know that I have 4 tx's with blue tooth modules that bind and work all 5 rc's.

RC Competitor
    Ok. So I deleted the app, Turned phone off, Removed sim. Reinstalled the app and reconnected to my TQI via the Bluetooth.

Still the same.

It starts updating the Rx with update one of two. The red bar moves across install on the phone screen about 5mm then starts again. Does this over and over.

Tried turning the car off and on a few times. Tried all sorts. No joy.

TSM seems to work ok when I take it out though so probably just going to live with it.

Thanks for the help folks

RC Competitor

RC poster
    this is the exact same for me, i tried it on my wife phone from scratch, and also tried android phone, all doing the same.
    But Worked on my receiver with a slighy newer firmware version already on it.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so if I understand this correctly you have more then 1 rc and only 1 rx that updated is this correct ?

If so pull that rx and install it into the rc of the 1 that doesn't work (or vice versa) and bind them then do the update to the esc once that is done put the rx that didn't work in and see if that more or less jump starts the rx because now the esc will have been updated.
    Sounds like a pain but when I had troubles quite a while ago I kept trying different things and refuse to give up, if your tx is updated and your esc is updated unless your rx is shot (which I doubt) it should update.
    When doing the app update disconnect all the wires out of your rx and only leave the esc connected at this point what do you have to lose it's worth a try.

RC poster
    Hi, I have the same Problem with my X-Mass 8S und my Summit. The update-process fails again und again. My TSM Receiver has 4.1.3 as firmware and the link-app wants to update to 6.0.48. Is there any final solution for this problem?

THX

Larry

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry2017 View Post
    Hi, I have the same Problem with my X-Mass 8S und my Summit. The update-process fails again und again. My TSM Receiver has 4.1.3 as firmware and the link-app wants to update to 6.0.48. Is there any final solution for this problem?

THX

Larry
    I think the solution lies with Traxxas, there is obviously a problem if youíve been updating the thing over the years I donít think there is an issue, I think itís only when you have an early version number that our problems begin.

RC Racer
    Update - Traxxas sent me a new Bluetooth module so I don’t know if I misunderstood him that he was sending a new receiver or what. Anyway I plugged it in and tried and the red update seemed to get farther after I put my phone into airplane mode but still kept cycling and I have up on Bluetooth. Will call again tomorrow?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridebonfire View Post
    Update - Traxxas sent me a new Bluetooth module so I donít know if I misunderstood him that he was sending a new receiver or what. Anyway I plugged it in and tried and the red update seemed to get farther after I put my phone into airplane mode but still kept cycling and I have up on Bluetooth. Will call again tomorrow?
    Not going to be a hardware issue or something like that, itís a software problem and Traxxas need to make an adjustment to there software
    Last edited by Double G; 01-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.

RC Racer
    Called today and they said meant to send a new receiver so sending a new one and said it will fix the issue. Will update after I get it and try.

RC Racer
    Update: got the new receiver. Plugged all the wires from old TSM in new TSM receiver and it updated right away with zero problems. So the solution is to buy/warranty a replacement receiver. Glad it’s finslly over!

Now I have to officially mount the new receiver joy .

RC poster
    I have a retrying TSM Receiver update issue from 5.0.42 to 6.0.48 as well. It also looped in the phase 1 of 2. It did 10 retries, then stopped and informed that the update has failed, please retry.

The model is still drivable, but now that I start the firmware update process, the app almost immediately loses connection to the receiver, which starts blinking red. This happens before I have a chance to click proceed. Therefore I cannot give it another try.

Based on Ridebonfire’s solution, I should get a replacement as well. Weird issue. My older model with a TSM Receiver has flashed to the latest firmware just fine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGuy View Post
    I have a retrying TSM Receiver update issue from 5.0.42 to 6.0.48 as well. It also looped in the phase 1 of 2. It did 10 retries, then stopped and informed that the update has failed, please retry.

The model is still drivable, but now that I start the firmware update process, the app almost immediately loses connection to the receiver, which starts blinking red. This happens before I have a chance to click proceed. Therefore I cannot give it another try.

Based on Ridebonfireís solution, I should get a replacement as well. Weird issue. My older model with a TSM Receiver has flashed to the latest firmware just fine.
    Just to update you, the new update from Traxxas on iPhone, and updated all tsm receivers

RC poster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snakeices View Post
    Just to update you, the new update from Traxxas on iPhone, and updated all tsm receivers
    Thank you very much!
    I tried updating two days ago and could not update.
    Now that I have read your comment I downloaded the latest version of the Traxxas link from the Google Play and Update Done.
    The tsm reciever was on version 4.1.3, and now 6.0.58

RC Enthusiast
    I have this issue with my UDR. I updated both my ipad and android phone via their app stores and tried again.

The transmitter updated successfully, which it did not have an update pre to updating my phone or tablet.

The receiver and ESC both still fail to update following this patch

RC Enthusiast
    Solved

For anyone else as dumb as me!

Make sure your phone is on airplane mode and the only Data connection is Bluetooth!!!!!. No WiFi, no mobile data etc, both updated fine following this

Quote Originally Posted by helsinki98 View Post
    Solved

Make sure your phone is on airplane mode and the only Data connection is Bluetooth!!!!!. No WiFi, no mobile data etc, both updated fine following this
    That makes no sense to me. I've had the Bluetooth Link since it came out and never failed an update. My WiFi and data is always on and airplane mode is always off. I think the most important thing is having a good WiFi connection and good batteries in both the transmitter and vehicle. jmo

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RC poster
    After some attemps it uptades my TSM Receiver too. Now it seems that the temperature-sensor on the v/t plug is without any function. Can anybody confirm this bug?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

RC poster
    Same here.. temp sensor not show reading

RC poster
    I managed finally to update my TSM Receiver.
    My TSM Receiver had version 4.1.6.
    If the latest App/Firmware version does not help try the flight mode and the more important thing... disconnect the two servo connectors in the two CH1 (Talking about an E Revo 2.0). After this the update was successfull.

Quote Originally Posted by helsinki98 View Post
    Solved

Just as Rich2 said, this makes no sense. Not only that, it's not even possible. In order to update the Tx, Rx and/or ESC, it has to download the data to be transferred/installed in the Tx, Rx & ESC. In order to download said data, it NEEDS to receive that data...and, in order to receive the data, the phone NEEDS to have a data connection, whether it's carrier data, or Wi-Fi. Without a data connection, there is NO data to update the Tx, Rx, or ESC.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC poster
    Temp on my app for the XO1 is not showing as well after the update. Anyone have any word on this?

RC poster
    Took several attempts on both my XO-1 and E-REVO to update the receiver, finally updated and temp gauge inop on both models, just stays on zero and has a red dot flashing. Anyone have an update on this issue?

RC Qualifier
    I had done the update in Dec. with no issues and everything in all 5 rc's worked flawless with 4 tx's with BTM's. This recent one was rx update which I also did and in my Xmaxx and BL Emaxx all the sensors work even v/t no problem, but the Brushed Emaxx, Stampede and the M41 there is no temp. The weird thing is with the Brushed Emaxx with the EVX-2 it was reading 4s on the volts before and now after the update it reads 2s and no temps. I'm sure this minor glitch will be fixed shortly.

RC poster
    My erbe v2, got tsm reciever update, from 6.48 to 6.058..
    And now the temp sensor is working again.
    BUT my erbe v1, didnt got the update. And thr temp sensor not active.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    That makes no sense to me. I've had the Bluetooth Link since it came out and never failed an update. My WiFi and data is always on and airplane mode is always off. I think the most important thing is having a good WiFi connection and good batteries in both the transmitter and vehicle. jmo

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I can attest that as counterintuitive as it seems, going into airplane mode then turning on ONLY bluetooth *DOES WORK*.

My theory is this. Downloading the most current version of Traxxas Link also has the data needed for the update, SO NO ADDITIONAL DATA IS NEEDED. I have no idea why wifi and/or mobile data interferes with the update, maybe some latent code in the current version makes the app try to "phone home" during the update instead of using what its got, i dont know.

In any case, I'm an IT guy, so I was pretty methodical with this, and it does work.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieBuffoon View Post
    I can attest that as counterintuitive as it seems, going into airplane mode then turning on ONLY bluetooth *DOES WORK*.

My theory is this. Downloading the most current version of Traxxas Link also has the data needed for the update, SO NO ADDITIONAL DATA IS NEEDED. I have no idea why wifi and/or mobile data interferes with the update, maybe some latent code in the current version makes the app try to "phone home" during the update instead of using what its got, i dont know.

In any case, I'm an IT guy, so I was pretty methodical with this, and it does work.
    Ok so once those of us that have done the update and do not have the temp sensor working is there any way to redo or some how get the temp gauge working again or is this something Traxxas has to address within their app itself.

RC Racer
    I did the update as well and lost the temp. Called Traxxas, person said they are aware of the issue and are working on another update to fix it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    I did the update as well and lost the temp. Called Traxxas, person said they are aware of the issue and are working on another update to fix it.
    Long time no see lol. It's weird everything worked in the Dec. update and the Jan. 16 download only the Xmaxx and the BL Emaxx worked but the Stampede, Brushed Emaxx and the M41 had no temps. I'm not to concerned because it's not going to warm up any time soon lol.

RC Racer
    Hey bud!! I hope all is well! Thatís weird that the update didnít affect all receivers. I lost temp on all four of mine after the update. Yeah itís pretty cold here too. But despite the cold temps, I still manage to get mine hot.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    That’s good to hear, I mean that they are aware...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeices View Post

I tried again with the newly app version as well, but with no success. At times the app even repotted that no updates were available (havenít seen such failure before), therefore I got the telemetry working for the first time in my new E-Revo. Then went for another try and updating failed a couple of times.
    Currently Iím waiting for my troublesome TSM Receiver to reach Traxxas logistics in Sweden in order to get a replacement sent back to Finland.

RC Competitor
    Tsm works good in my spartan

Lšhetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast