RC poster

Rustler 4x4 VXL upgrades

Hey guys,

Just got a new Rustler 4x4 VXL, and wondering the best upgrades to get?
    Also wondering if I could make it ride a littler higher for going over bump/gravel surfaces so it doesnt bounce around as much?

If you just got yours, what would you swap out?

Let me know.
    Thanks all

RC Qualifier
    I am swapping out the power system. If you are new to the rc world, the stock system will be just fine. I personally find that it lacks in torque and should be able to handle 4s out of the box. You can mount the shocks higher on it. You can look up a youtube video on how to do it. If there is none about the rustler 4x4 just look at stampede 4x4 or slash 4x4. You can also put the black rings that came included in between your shock springs and make the springs more compressed. This will make it sag less.

RC poster
    Aluminum shock caps. That's the only thing I already hear

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhole View Post
    Aluminum shock caps. That's the only thing I already hear
    +1 on this

Recently got the new Rustler 4x4 VXL, myself. My first "upgrades" were adding the ESC cooling fan, and replacing the Tx & Rx (Airtronics MT-S, tho I also considered...and almost bought...the Futaba 4PV). My next upgrades will be the shocks (GTR, tho undecided on springs) & driveshafts (6851R & 6852R). After that, I'll probably start on the internal electronics.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    I got it the following parts to give it the Ultimate (as in slash ultimate) upgrade

-GTR shocks
    -TA spring tuning kit
    -slash 4x4 Sway bar kit
    -slash 4x4 aluminum caster block
    -slash 4x4 aluminum front steering block
    -slash 4x4 aluminum rear stub carrier.

I also got two sets of proline street fighter sc tires mounted on Slash 4x4 wheels for running on paved surfaces.

Should be fun, I was really getting tired of cleaning out my Slash 4x4 chassis after every run whenever leaves were on the ground. Slash4x4 are fine but once you do all the work to fit it to bigger tires, you are way better off getting the Rustler 4x4 instead. Judging by the insane demand of the 4x4 Rustlers, I was far from the only one waiting for a 4wd stadium truckish thing.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-13-2019 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I got it the following parts to give it the Ultimate (as in slash ultimate) upgrade

-GTR shocks
    -TA spring tuning kit
    -slash 4x4 Sway bar kit
    -slash 4x4 aluminum caster block
    -slash 4x4 aluminum front steering block
    -slash 4x4 aluminum rear stub carrier.
    Part number, please?

Sent from planet Earth...possibly

RC Racer
    Shocks are 7461x and 7462x
    Sway bars are from eBay take off from 68077-4 I think. There is a part number but can't remember it off hand.
    The TA spring kits are 91071 and 91077
    TRA6832X Blue
    TRA6837X Blue
    TRA1952X blue

I made the assumption that since the new slash 4x4 ultimate use the same a arms as the rustler 4x4 then all the ultimate aluminum bits would work, else joke's on me, I will just put them on one of my slash 4x4s

This has not been a cheap Christmas, just finished an FLM rustler build, up fitted a couple of Rustler VXLs including an all-green build, and now this lol.

I made the assumption that since the new slash 4x4 ultimate use the same a arms as the rustler 4x4 then all the ultimate aluminum bits would work, else joke's on me, I will just put them on one of my slash 4x4s

I have been looking closely between the Slash's and Rustler's exploded views and - save for a few parts here and there - they are pretty much the same.
    The Super Derecho

For those of you going with the GTR shocks and undecided on springs, I would recommend giving the VG Racing shocks a try. I have that setup and am very happy with it. Currently running 50/70 oil.
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

Shocks are 7461x and 7462x
    Sway bars are from eBay take off from 68077-4 I think. There is a part number but can't remember it off hand.
    The TA spring kits are 91071 and 91077
    TRA6832X Blue
    TRA6837X Blue
    TRA1952X blue
    Thanx for the part numbers. I've got the Traxxas sway bars on order, and I've saved (for the future) the part numbers for the caster blocks, front steering blocks, & rear stub carriers. As for the shocks, I was all set to order the Traxxas GTRs...but, continued searching led me to the Pro-Line Big Bore Pro-Spec shocks. While I haven't ordered them...yet...I'm about ready to.

UPDATE: I went ahead and ordered the Pro-Line Big Bore Pro-Spec shocks (front & rear), along with the additional multi-rate spring kits, and the multi-weight shock oil package. The spring kits include super-soft, soft, medium, hard, and super-hard springs. The oil kit includes 2oz each of 20wt, 25wt, 30wt, 35wt, 40wt & 45wt. Between the combination of springs & oil, I should be able to dial in both ends of my Rustler. Now, I need to prep for the next upgrade, although, in this case, it won't be so much the truck getting upgraded, but the electronics...specifically the Tx & Rx. I've been leaning heavily towards the Futaba 4PV, but I'm trying to be 'patient' while waiting for the soon-to-be-released Futaba 4PM (not a whole lot is know about this Tx, except that it can control MINI-Z EVO cars, it supports Super Response (SR) mode (ala the Futaba 7PX) and it appears to have an internal antenna (not the "flip-up" antenna found on the 4PV, see image at:

https://i0.wp.com/www.hobbymedia.net...pg?w=700&ssl=1
    Last edited by Panther6834; 01-14-2019 at 01:38 AM.

RC Racer
    i have to be honest, the Prolines have been calling my name especially with my FLM chassis 2wd Rustler build. If that's not bling I just don't know what is.

RC Enthusiast
    This is probably a bad question but what do sway bars do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzell23 View Post
    This is probably a bad question but what do sway bars do?
    They help your vehicle dance better...you know, they add "sway"...just kidding. Actually, they do the exact opposite. First, I find it "interesting" that, in the RC world, they're called 'sway bars', because, in the real-vehicle world, they're typically called 'anti-sway bars', or 'anti-roll bars'. The simplest description I can come up with is that they help to stiffen-up the left/right tilting movement when cornering sharply.

For example, if running at high-speed, you turn sharply to the right, your left shocks compress, causing the vehicle to lean sharply to the left. Too much speed and/or too much lean, and the vehicle (RC, and real, alike) have a tendency to roll/flip to the left. The sway/anti-roll bar helps to prevent the shocks on that side of the vehicle from compressing too much, thus helping to prevent the vehicle from rolling over.

At the same time, it also helps to prevent/eliminate twisting of the vehicle's frame, as to much lateral movement at one end (front, or rear) can cause the frame/chassis to twist. Repeated twisting of a frame (plastic in an RC, as well as steel in a real vehicle) can lead the frame to being permanently twisted. Additionally, the greater the impact, the greater the frame gets twisted. Have you ever been in vehicle that, at some previous point had been involved in an accident, and, while traveling down the freeway, the vehicle starts shaking? Then, as the vehicle picks up speed, the shaking increases to a certain point, then decreases, and finally, at a certain higher speed, the shaking completely stops? Chances are, that vehicle has a twisted frame. The same thing can happen to an RC vehicle... except that, since you're not physically ridding inside the vehicle, it can be more difficult to detect.

If you're just bashing, you can probably skip then. However, if you're looking to getting into racing, depending on the class (vehicles closer to the ground, like buggies, wouldn't need them...and probably don't even have them available), I'd suggest talking with other racers in your area, driving the same vehicle (or vehicle type), and get input from them. They can explain the pros & cond of adding sway bars to your vehicle (if available), and can even show you, first-hand, the handling difference between "with" and "without". Having driven real 4x4s, I was hoping I could add them to my RC...even if I had to get sway bars designed for another vehicle. I'll just have to wait until they arrive to discover if they'll fit on my Rustler.

Sent from planet Earth...possibly

Good description.

I have Tekno sways on my nitro Revo and it calmed down the cornering quite a bit and it doesn't roll as much. Many installed them on their Slayer so that it would not roll as much. However, because of the suspension travel it came at the expense of twisting apart the bars because as one shock compresses the other will start. I won't be heartbroken if I go through all my replacement bars and remove the set completely. Bashing: not really necessary. Racing: sure.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Good description.
    Thanks. I might be a semi-noob in 4-wheeled RC, but I've got real-world 4x4 experience, plus I've known a few street racers. It was thanks to you pointing out that the Slash & Rustler 4x4 VXLs use many of the same parts, which research led me to realize they use the same A-Arms. For the greatest part, the front & rear assemblies are the same, thus giving greater probability that the Slash sway bars will work on the Rusty. Everything I ordered (mentioned above) shipped this morning, and should arrive in 2-3 days. Once everything is installed, I'll update here (including photos, if I can figure out how).