RC Qualifier

Traxxas battery quality?

Hey guys. I am looking to get a 3s lipo for my new rustler 4x4 vxl. Is the 5000 mah battery a good choice?

RC Racer
    theres cheaper options w/ traxxas plugs already on them.. check SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Hey guys. I am looking to get a 3s lipo for my new rustler 4x4 vxl. Is the 5000 mah battery a good choice?
    Yes, I use them and I'm quite happy with them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rich2; 01-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    cool how do they compare with awanfi gens ace hrb or any other brand?

RC Qualifier
    They are just as if not better then the brands you listed. SMC is a great place to get batts. You won’t be disappointed if you do. And they are priced well too!

While there is limited manufacturers of lipo cells they are not all of the same quality. Some things to consider when purchasing a lipo battery, different battery manufactures get there cells from different cell manufacturers. Some companies match cells, others don't. Some companies inflate their "C" rating, others don't. Some companies stand by their batteries, others don't. Some companies offer amazing warranties, others don't. The list of differences goes on but you get the idea. While the prices of our lipo rc batteries can range from $20 to $ 200 bucks, what you're paying for essentially is a decent warranty and customer service. Good luck getting the $20 battery warrentied, as soon as those companies have your money they don't care. While traxxas batteries are pricey, it's only a phone call away to get it replaced. SMC offers great batteries, at a decent price, and will also offer amazing customer service. With the risk of burning your house, car, garage or any other place you charge, I would absolutely research each company and determine what you're "best bang for you're buck" is. Now, my personal experience plug, SMC and Traxxas batteries that I've purchased have performed great and when a problem did arise, well, it was taken care of immediately and free of charge. You're not paying for the cells, you're paying for the ability to rectify an issue. Just my .04 (inflation after all.)
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Amen brother!!!

RC Qualifier
    yeah. I bought a hrb battery. 3s 6000mah 50c. Now my car does wheelstanding backflips in reverse lol. I bought it through amazon with prime, so I can just return it for free whenever i want. there was also 122 reviews and no 1 star or 2 star or even 3 star reviews. just 4 and 5 star reviews. 83% 5 star. It works great for right now. Fits well too. So yah but i might get a traxxas battery later. I also bought the ez peak plus charger

RC Competitor
    yeah. I bought a hrb battery. 3s 6000mah 50c. Now my car does wheelstanding backflips in reverse lol. I bought it through amazon with prime, so I can just return it for free whenever i want. there was also 122 reviews and no 1 star or 2 star or even 3 star reviews. just 4 and 5 star reviews. 83% 5 star. It works great for right now. Fits well too. So yah but i might get a traxxas battery later. I also bought the ez peak plus charger
    Although you may technically be able to return the battery, returning a used up battery unless something is wrong with it seems kind of shady to me.

RC Competitor
    I hope the Traxxas lipos work well....Just recently purchased 2wd and 4X4 Rustler VXL's with 5000 3s battery and have yet to run them. I've been reading on here about people having puffing issues with these batteries. Didn't know about SMC when I bought it so I'll have to live with that. Who knows it may turn out to be a good battery after all....we will see.

RC Competitor
    As FnFancy stated you're paying for the warranty. Traxxas is pretty amazing with their warranty and their upgrade program. Personally I don't use Traxxas batteries since I have a Hitec x4 charger for all my other RC toys and I don't want to deal with dongles just to get at the balance taps.

If you have a traxxas ID charger then it's great because it's plug and play. There is also the negative of is you manage to bring your cells below threshold the charger will refuse to charge them. There are ways to trick a normal charger to revive the cells and get everything to play nice again.

I end up buying respectable cells from the LHS. I've been running lectron tenergy cells with no issues. I would avoid venom ones though. I've had at least 3 puff to where I didn't feel safe running them. I understand their warranty program is less than stellar.

RC Enthusiast
    I personally believe Venom has the best customer service in the business. I had a problem with a battery and they sent me a new one without having to return the old one. I also had a problem with the back light going out on their charger and they sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one. The Traxxas batteries are good but due to their design can not be charged on another charger without an adapter.

RC Qualifier
    I have been running Traxxas batteries for years and the only time I had issues was with the first geniD batteries. The latest gen of iD batteries work the the old school 5000 MAH 3S batteries. I am pretty sure your Rustler will not be able to abuse the batteries like my X-Maxxes and XO-1s have. Just always monitor your temperatures. Take care of your batteries and they will take care of you. +1 on the Traxxas warranty too.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Qualifier
    k thx. In the future i might invest in some traxxas batteries.

For my Rusty 4x4 VXL, I'm currently using only Traxxas batteries (5800mAh & 10000mAh 2S, plus a 6400mAh 3S), along with the Traxxas EZ-Peak Dual Live charger. However, as I'm looking into ESC & motor upgrades, I will have the "option" of installing a different battery connector on the new ESC (such as XT60). If course, doing this would eliminate the ability to use the Traxxas batteries I already have. Alternately, I could get batteries (probably SMC) with the aforementioned XT60 connectors, and use a XT60-to-Traxxas adapter (QUICK NOTE: If I remember correctly, batteries with 1st-Gen connector can plug into 2nd-Gen connector on the ESC, but not the other way around...someone, please correct me if I'm wrong). This way, I could use 3rd-party batteries, as well as Traxxas batteries.

Of course, going with batteries with anything other than Traxxas connectors bring up another problem, as others have pointed out - you either need adapters to charge them on the Traxxas EZ-Peak chargers (not something most care to do), or you need a different charger. Thankfully, as I also fly drones (currently using Yuneec Typhoon H, with Gens Ace UltraX batteries), I also have a Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition (essentially, Hitec's version of the EZ-Peak Dual Live), which could easily be used for charging any non-Traxxas batteries. For those needing to charge up to 4 batteries similar to they also have a 4-port version, the X4 AC Pro (work the same Bluetooth & app connectivity). I HIGHLY recommend the Hitec chargers, if you're not already familiar with them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    I don’t like the red generation 3s Traxxas packs, they didn’t do me well at all. But with my e revo I bought the new all black 3s packs which have been fantastic. I also run hobbystar 5200mah 3s lipos And they are pretty old but not showing any signs of puffing or wear. SMC from what I hear, you can’t go wrong.

RC Qualifier
    k like i said the hrb is working amazing, but if and when it does start wearing out, i will probably get smc or traxxas batteries

RC Racer
    k like i said the hrb is working amazing, but if and when it does start wearing out, i will probably get smc or traxxas batteries

Said it before and i'll say it again, There are cheaper options then trx batteries.. Theres nothing special about them other then the plug and play feature that only works with their chargers..

HRB makes fantastic batteries I have a least 10 of them if not more, for the price you can't find a better cheaper option.

Investing in traxxas batteries will simply leave your wallet with less cash in it in the long run. I have a slew of traxxas batteries as well theres nothing wrong with them other then the price tag, But at the time I had no idea what a balance charger was or even how to use one, So I bought EZ peak charger and Traxxas batteries so I didn't have to think about it.

if I could do it over again, I would buy a Real balance charger and XT-90 or EC5 Plugs on my batteries.

If your rich or like to waste money buy traxxas batteries

RC Enthusiast
    I think it's great having the Traxxas ID charger and batteries. I don't want to be fully committed with advanced charges, and for that the ID works perfect, so easy to deal with. The ID charger itself is much cheaper than a "real" charger, so I think that the extra money on batteries just balances it out. Unless you have several rigs and batteries, but in my case it's just the Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by TraverseCityMi View Post
    Theres nothing special about them other then the plug and play feature that only works with their chargers...If your rich or like to waste money buy traxxas batteries
    Not true. As had been pointed out numerous times (here, and in other threads, and on other forums), part of what you're paying for is the warranty. Some companies (SMC, for example) have great service, batteries, & warranties, all at lower prices, but there are also plenty of companies that have lower prices, but their customer service, batteries and/or warranty are garbage. I might have only recently gotten back into the 4-wheeled-vehicle RC "game", but over the past 10 years, I've been involved in other issues of RCing, namely helicopters & drones. The thing is, the same applies to them...there are cheap, low-quality batteries, where customer service and/or warranties can be "questionable"; there are expensive, high-quality batteries, that come with excellent customer service and/or warranties; and there is everything in-between.

RC Qualifier
    One thing I will say is that I hate the ID balance leads... hate them!

RC Racer
    I've made my point and you just drilled it home even more, Your over paying for a warranty that you prolly won't even use.. And then after a year you can exchange your batts for 50% off retail + shipping + tax.. LOL..

If you think that's a good deal by all means keep buying them support that steller warranty.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...anty-is-a-Joke

Great example of a satisfied customer lol ^^
    Last edited by TraverseCityMi; 01-21-2019 at 07:57 PM.

I've made my point and you just drilled it home even more, Your over paying for a warranty that you prolly won't even use.. And then after a year you can exchange your batts for 50% off retail + shipping + tax.. LOL..

If you think that's a good deal by all means keep buying them support that steller warranty.
    You appear to have either forgotten...or, you didn't bother filling reading what I had told...that I also mentioned that there ARE inexpensive, high-quality batteries, from companies with great customer service & warranties.

However, since you brought up the point you did, I'll take this on a slightly different direction. Let's say a major electrical component a such as the ESC and/or motor gets damaged...maybe even fried...and you contact Traxxas support for warranty replacement. Well, they could (I'm NOT saying they "would", only that they "could" deny you warranty coverage if you were using a non-approved battery...either if it's a cheap, low-quality battery. Legally, it would be within their right to do so. Again, not saying they would do this...only that they could. For reasons such as this, there's nothing wrong with buying inexpensive batteries...just do research beforehand, so that you area also getting high-quality batteries, such as those sold by SMC & Gens Ace.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...anty-is-a-Joke

Great example of a satisfied customer lol ^^
    (From 2012)

Recent positive: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...stomer-Service!

Much more positives on Traxxas's Customer Service than negatives. In the end Traxxas is a for-profit business just like any other RC (vehicle or part) manufacturer out there.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2019 at 09:54 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I personally agree with Double G on this. While traxxas legally has a claim to deny warranty coverage, just because I used a battery, that they could legally claim is not authorized for use in the vechicle or some stupidity like that, they did not. The motor on my model came stock with something wrong with it. Insane overheating. You could vaporize water after some speed runs on stock gearing. I called them. All I had to do to get a new one is pay 8 bucks for shipping there. They did not ask any pesky questions about what i did For example they could ask 1 Are you using traxxas batteries, if not you void the warranty. 2 Are you using adapters, if you are you have voided the warranty. 3 Did you use a castle or another brand motor. If so you have also voided the warranty. But they did not nitpick and ask these stupid questions. They just told me to ship it to them and they will send me a new one. In the end, you might also consider, why would you buy a traxxas slash 4x4 vxl over a losi tenacity scte. It doubtlessly performs better, is on par with the slash in terms of durability, and it is slightly cheaper. It is the amazing support that you get when you buy traxxas, and the availability of aftermarket parts which makes traxxas the best rc car brand. So I can see how anyone would justify buying traxxas batteries and chargers.

RC poster
    I just purchased my first rc car a few days ago which is the rustler 4x4 vxl. I refused to buy the battery and charger made for it because of the price. Also, I already have a charger from my drone building days. I purchased the HRB battery from amazon just like another guy in here. This battery comes with xt-60 connectors. The first thing I did to the new rustler was to cut off the deans connector and replace it with xt-60 connector. I say all this point out that fact that changing out a connector is very cheap and easy if you know how to solder. There is no need to buy a new charger just because the connector is different. However, changing connectors will void warranties, but i don't care about warranties. LOL

I think you meant “Traxxas connector” not “deans connector.”
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    yup Unless traxxas made a huge mistake and put a deans connector on a rusty lol

RC poster
    You are both correct. I meant traxxas connector not a deans connector. I don’t know why I put that. ��

RC Competitor
    Kind of off topic but I tried the Zeee power 5200mah 2s battery and is the best 2s I have ever owned, has anyone else tried these?