RC Qualifier

Ez peak plus overcharging my batteries

Whatís up with that???

Is this amount of overcharging considered not harmful and acceptable in Charger precision? Iím really stumped. I just put my Traxxas batteries on the chargers, will update what they read too. So far both my hobbystarís have been overcharged.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 01-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.

RC Racer
    3 cells there not being over charged.12.5 is what all my 3s are reading at full charge each cell is charged to 4.19 - 4.20

times that by 3 and you have your 12

RC Qualifier
    An 11.1v lipo will charge to 12.6v. That is 4.2v per cell. Your battery is not overcharged at all. Lipos are just like any other battery. A simple AA is 1.5v or rated at that, but get a new one and it will most likely show 1.6v. As well as NIMH batteries. Most are rated at a lower voltage than what they charge up to. Your lipo is fine. With a 2s lipo youíll see 8.4c fully charged and like I said, an 11.1v lipo will charge to 12.6v or 4.2v x 3 cells which is 12.6v. Hope this makes sense.

I bet if you carefully probe the balance port wires you will see - for the most part - that all three cells read a max of 4.2v assuming you balance-charged. If not then you may see some big differences and one of them being overcharged.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I bet if you carefully probe the balance port wires you will see - for the most part - that all three cells read a max of 4.2v assuming you balance-charged. If not then you may see some big differences and one of them being overcharged.
    Or just buy one of those 3$ testers that plug right into the balance cable and give u a visual readout of the cells

Yeah, but he has a multi-meter right there.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Yeah, but he has a multi-meter right there.
    Oh I know but as you put you have to be careful probing them, with the 3$ cheapo ya just plug play and hear the beeps/see the #'s

I like simple lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseCityMi View Post
    3 cells there not being over charged.12.5 is what all my 3s are reading at full charge each cell is charged to 4.19 - 4.20

times that by 3 and you have your 12
    I appreciate your replies but I was referring to the fact that it clearly says 12.64, not 12.6. I saw on YouTube it can be pretty dangerous to lipos to be overcharged AT ALL.

With all due respect, I’ve been in the hobby for years and I am very much aware a lipo should be at 4.2v/cell, the 3.7 per cell is a storage charge, which is where you get the 11.1 voltage reading.

Also, 12.5 and all is totally fine. That’s all cool. But anything over 12.6 is not cool at all. Not even 12.61.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 01-04-2019 at 08:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I charged my Traxxas batteries and one came out to 12.66, the other to 12.6 flat. The second one is what it’s supposed to be. Without a doubt, any overcharge at all WILL damage your battery. Whether it’s 0.01 volt or what, that’s what overcharging does. I took the hobbystars out for a run and just charged them back up, now one reads 12.59 (the one on the same charger as the Traxxas battery that read 12.6) and the other read 12.65. The charger overcharging my batteries is about 2 years old and I suspect it’s now diminishing in precision.

Are you sure a $3 checker will realllly be more accurate than my extremely reliable proven multimeter? Also there’s no point in me buying one of those, cuz shipping would make it like $10 and there’s no point in wasting $10 when you have a multimeter. Correct me if I’m wrong? Also even wiggling around the billets the reading didn’t change. I mean it went to like 4 and 6 for half a second because I was losing contact, but every time I had full contact it was reading these results for these batteries.

I guess it is my bad for creating this thread when I just answered part of my own question. Now I’m curious if anyone else with these chargers runs into this problem. I am hoping it’s just the age of the charger as my other one does fine.
    Last edited by Peeeenuuutt; 01-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    I charged my Traxxas batteries and one came out to 12.66, the other to 12.6 flat. The second one is what it’s supposed to be. Without a doubt, any overcharge at all WILL damage your battery. Whether it’s 0.01 volt or what, that’s what overcharging does. I took the hobbystars out for a run and just charged them back up, now one reads 12.59 (the one on the same charger as the Traxxas battery that read 12.59) and the other read 12.65. The charger overcharging my batteries is about 2 years old and I suspect it’s now diminishing in precision.

Are you sure a $3 checker will realllly be more accurate than my extremely reliable proven multimeter? Also there’s no point in me buying one of those, cuz shipping would make it like $10 and there’s no point in wasting $10 when you have a multimeter. Correct me if I’m wrong? .
    I got mine from amazon w/ prime for 3$ so.. I mean.. your not WRONG.. but Im not wrong either? lol

I have a multimeter too, I just find it far more convenient to keep a pocket sized reader when ya know I just wanna quickly plow thru my 20+ battery collection to get readings.

Plus with that handy checker I can tell if 1 cell or all 3 are bad, Your reading a voltage of the whole pack, My reader tells me the volts of each cell in the pack AND the over all voltage of the whole pack.

You wanna spend that much time checking each cell on a whole set of battterys go for it, I was just suggesting a much easier quicker and just as accurate way of checking the volts of each cell.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the volts there still within acceptable range. if it was 12.7 sure cause for concern.. 12.66 not cause for concern.

There listed as 11.1 volts not 11.111111101492385903458093485039 for a reason

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=289354

^^ Someone else freaking out cuz there batterys were 4.21v …

A little research goes a long way.
    Last edited by TraverseCityMi; 01-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Ez peak plus overcharging my batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    I appreciate your replies but I was referring to the fact that it clearly says 12.64, not 12.6. I saw on YouTube it can be pretty dangerous to lipos to be overcharged AT ALL.

With all due respect, Iíve been in the hobby for years and I am very much aware a lipo should be at 4.2v/cell, the 3.7 per cell is a storage charge, which is where you get the 11.1 voltage reading.

Also, 12.5 and all is totally fine. Thatís all cool. But anything over 12.6 is not cool at all. Not even 12.61.
    You really think a few hundredths of a Volt is a problem. The precision of the two devices could be the issue. No offense but the multimeter used in the picture and the ones in a Traxxas charger arenít precision instruments.
    Also, just read the rest of your replies in the thread. Disregard

Itís fine. Donít worry.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseCityMi View Post

^^ Someone else freaking out cuz there batterys were 4.21v …

A little research goes a long way.
    Trust me lol, I’ve done my research. I don’t check my cell voltages often but I decided to do now because I felt like it. My research on YouTube consisted of @rcmodelreviews and @greatscott, who both stated what I was saying. But I guess I don’t need to worry too much. That’s that.