RC Enthusiast

Rustler Big Bore Shocks - Oil Weight?

Just got the big bore shocks delivered for my rustler. They came with oil, should I put that in or some other weight? Anyone have any thoughts on this? My first thought is to just fill them with what they came with.

If you don't have any other oil on hand then yes, use what they gave you. What did they give you? Next time you are at your LHS you might pick up some extra oil in weights that are suitible for your driving style. What is your driving style? If they gave you two different weights of oil, use the heavier weight up front. Sounds like a fun mod!
    MTFBWY

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its probably 30wt. I found it to be too light for me. Id use it like synnergy said until I had more options.

Traxxas Marshal
    The right oil weight is tied to the sort of driving you do (on-road, off-road, lots of jumps, etc.) and personal preference. If it's something you want to play with, try picking up some different weights (e.g. 40wt, 50wt) and try them out. Keep in mind that you should generally change the springs when you change the oil weight (heaver oil, stiffer springs for example).

Personally, I find that 30-35wt oil is fine for general bashing purposes. The oil that comes with Traxxas Big Bore shocks is 30wt.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Personally I like the stock 30wt. Just works for me as a basher. You can use a slightly thicker oil if you want, just keep in mind using a thicker oil means your suspension will work slower. It will take longer for the suspension to fully compress since there is more resistance. This would help with jumping if you wanted to reduce chassis slap.

The other part I would change is the springs. The big bores usually come with the Slash progressive springs, which I find to be really annoying. You can just swap the original Rustler linear springs on the big bores to fix this, if you want.

RC poster
    Ok new guy here, just asking with big bore shocks can you change piston on big bore shocks.

Welcome to the forum! Yes you CAN change big bore pistons. There are some aftermarket pistons as well, do a search.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2669 <------- there's a Traxxas option.
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I have lots of other weights here but decided to use what they gave me and see how it performs. I set them up exactly as the directions said for off roading. Have not had a chance to try them on my track yet as I was waiting on other parts. Once I get some test laps I'll go from there.

RC Enthusiast
    A few pics...

Cool track!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Thanks for sharing your pictures! That track looks super fun!! Hard to beat having a track out the back door, eh? Those are some pretty rear axles, what are they? With the aluminum bulkhead/tower/steering parts/axles you may need to go up in weight for shock oil from the normal. Let us know what you find works well. Looks like a blast!
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks! It is nice having a track in the backyard for sure. The axels I got on amazon, not sure the brand though but so far they are good. I did break the transmission pretty quick after I got them, but I rebuilt and loosened the slipper clutch and it has been good since. - I was breaking axels like crazy before them for some reason.

Good point about the heavier weight oil. Going to give the oil it came with a try and go from there. I will report back once I get some time to test it.
    Last edited by rivalrider; 01-08-2019 at 06:36 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    So I have had some time to drive my track with the new setup. Some rain set my driving time back with standing water on the track...Short story, I love these shocks along with the other mods I have done. This thing handles so much better than it did before. Noticeably smoother and controllable through the corners along with smoother jump landings. I like them so much I ordered another set for the Bandit mid-motor conversion I am about to start. Still waiting to do some more runs with the stock Bandit before I take it all apart.

If I notice them leaking or just want to play with it, I will try a different shock oil. But for now, the stuff it came with is working great.