RC Enthusiast

question about 19/54 gearing and lipo3

If i am reading it correctly, Traxxas advertises the Slash 4x4 as a 60mph RC.
    They state that running a 19T/54T and a lipo3 will achieve this.

so for fun, i had a 18T that i put in along with a new SMC lipo3. First time running a 3s.
    The thing is an absolute animal. wow.... thing flies.

However, after 10 mins of pushing it... the red blinking thermal light came on.
    It was a cold 35 degree day out as well.

I figured if they are advertising this combo, you would at least be able to run it without overheating. Im running stock tire size as well. ( only upgrades are X0-1 axles, tekno driveshaft, aluminum spur bearing carrier, and Revo slipper clutch)

im just trying to understand and learn... any input for a newbie?

im hooked on the speed so probably going to be upgrading to a larger castle. Still trying to figure out between a 2650 and 3800.....

Whenever you change anything on your drive train (pinion, spur, battery voltage, clutch, clutch set, bearings, motor, ESC), it is good practice to take temps on your motor every five minutes or so for the first pack to make sure you are not frying your motor. Generally you want your motor temps < 160*/f.

As are as the 19/54 gearing, it is only for speed runs and not for everyday bashing.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I'll tell you what I've observed, having recently started down this path. Running a 3S battery in my stock Slash 4x4 Platinum with 13T/54T gearing, I clocked it just a hair under 45 mph (by strapping my old smartphone running a GPS speedometer app to the rear body mount). The motor would get uncomfortably hot to the touch, but I never got the ESC to overheat. In preparation for converting it to a monster Slash, I replaced the Traxxas motor and ESC with a Castle Sidewinder 8th system and a 15T pinion. To my surprise, my speed dropped to around 35 mph with the same 3S battery. So I put in an 18T pinion, which got my speed back up to 41 mph. But here's the thing: after running it full-out for 10-15 minutes up and down the street, that 1:8 scale motor was barely warm (around 48 degrees F outside temp). There's LOTS of room to increase gearing, AND it'll take another 3S battery in series for some part-pulverizing 6S power.

Keep us posted.

The Sidewinder 8th combo is awesome bang for your buck in a Slash 4x4.
    Love mine.
    Word of warning though. 6s and a Slash 4x4 becomes a bit of a hand grenade.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the info! My son has a monster platinum and currently we run a 11T/54T setup. goes pretty good. Im still debating if i want to got 2.8 or not on mine. I definitely plan on running a castle. I am still trying to research the different between all the motor/esc combos. Im probably going to gear mine back to stock and give it to my daughter. Planning on building a new one from the ground up. Already have a new LCG chassis i started working on.

RC Competitor
    The Castle 1415 2400kv motor paired with a Mamba X is another good option. I’ve got mine geared 20T/50T on 4s and it goes like stink. Stays well within temp range with this setup. On 3s, it’s obviously slower (55 - 60 mph) but stays ice cold.

If you read the manual:

"The included optional large pinion gear is intended for high-speed running on hard surfaces, and this gearing is not recommended for off-road or repetitive starting and stopping."

In other words, for a few speed runs under optimal road conditions. Watch your temps.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    The Castle 1415 2400kv motor paired with a Mamba X is another good option. I’ve got mine geared 20T/50T on 4s and it goes like stink. Stays well within temp range with this setup. On 3s, it’s obviously slower (55 - 60 mph) but stays ice cold.
    You do know that is my absolute favorite motor system
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Either the sidewinder 1/8th combo or the 2400kv combo will get you both speed and reliability as well. You donít want the 3800kv as it will get hot as well.

RC Enthusiast
    so you guys do recommend the 2400/mamba x combo?

my goal for the truck is basically going to be a backyard basher, 2.2/3.0 wheels running on 3s most the time. Geared as high as i can to try and keep it around 60mph and keep it cool all day long (any chance of running the mamba x without the fan and it still staying cool) i dont get why they make everything waterproof except the fan.

If your end-goal is a mild speed rig, you may want to consider the Castle MMX ESC w/2200kV sensored motor and gear up:

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...00-010-0145-03
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You were my inspiration!

I’ve got a “few” Slashes (one for each member of the family) , and they are all outfitted with either the Traxxas or Castle version of the 2400kv. Love it. Stays cool but lots of power and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Castle has been out of these for quite a while...and when I asked them when they will be available, I got the following reply...

"...We are expecting to have these combo’s late January or early February..."

The 15xx 2200, and 2650 are also OOS as well.