RC poster

Slash 2wd handling and performance for newbie

My wife recently got into the hobby with me and we started her out with a Slash 2wd. She is starting to get the hang of racing at our local (loose dry dirt) however she has a hard time keeping the car in a straight line and tends to spin out in the corners if she is not going very slow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the list of upgrades
    Hobby wing max10 combo 4000kv running on 2s
    LCG chassis
    Stock shock 37.5wt aluminum caps
    Proline protrac Kit
    Proline blockades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    That's the nature of 2wd for ya.. Want better control get a 4wd car

RC Qualifier
    To an extent itís the nature of a 2wd, much of it is throttle control along with the proper set-up for the track. Proper tires for the track would be my first suggestion, see what the faster trucks are running. If itís loose and dry like you said something like proline gladiators might be a good tire. The local track I run at is hard packed clay and always has loose dirt top. I usually run the gladiators if itís really dry, if there is some moisture I run badlands in the rear and gladiators up front.
    I have both a 2wd and 4wd that I race, I am every bit as fast with my 2wd and often time faster then many of the 4wd trucks. Iím not going to lie it takes a lot of practice! Itís all about learning throttle control.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chopperguy View Post
    To an extent itís the nature of a 2wd, much of it is throttle control along with the proper set-up for the track. Proper tires for the track would be my first suggestion, see what the faster trucks are running. If itís loose and dry like you said something like proline gladiators might be a good tire. The local track I run at is hard packed clay and always has loose dirt top. I usually run the gladiators if itís really dry, if there is some moisture I run badlands in the rear and gladiators up front.
    I have both a 2wd and 4wd that I race, I am every bit as fast with my 2wd and often time faster then many of the 4wd trucks. Iím not going to lie it takes a lot of practice! Itís all about learning throttle control.

Thanks for the tips! The Iíve seen some guys running gladiators and blockades, the track organizer recommended the blockades. You think upgrading the shocks would help with traction? Sorry not sure if thatís a dumb question Iím almost as new as she is to the hobby.

Traction is the Achilles heel of 2wd. Tires, suspension what ever, if you gun it while turning one of two things will happen, severe understeer or spinning out. 4000kv is a hot motor for that truck, the only way to tame it is throttle control and or esc settings. It's not easy, practice practice practice, and maybe dial down punch in the esc.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike0314 View Post
    Thanks for the tips! The Iíve seen some guys running gladiators and blockades, the track organizer recommended the blockades. You think upgrading the shocks would help with traction? Sorry not sure if thatís a dumb question Iím almost as new as she is to the hobby.

I would stay with the stock shocks for now, if anything switch to aluminum shock caps. If your racing on a track sooner or later the stock plastic caps will pop of. First start with the tires, the proper tire for the track will make a dramatic difference. Practice is the biggest thing, I was guilty of throwing a ton of parts at my 2wd in hopes I would be instantly better and faster. It doesnít necessarily work that way. There is a great thread on here about tuning your Slash for the track itís a great read and very helpful.

Assuming your tires are good, the next step would be some kind of limited slip differential. The open diff on the stock Slash sucks, especially with any sort of power.

This might help, full race build step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wC4RDjWaLdpqCz
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Assuming your tires are good, the next step would be some kind of limited slip differential. The open diff on the stock Slash sucks, especially with any sort of power.

This might help, full race build step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wC4RDjWaLdpqCz
    Iíve only heard of the hot racing one, Iíve also heard that it leaks? Any other brands youíve heard of?

RC Qualifier
    The Hot Racing sealed diff seams to be hit or miss. Mine leaks pretty bad, others I know have zero issues.

Mine leaks, not too bad. But the shafts elongated the whole in the case causing it to leak more and ultimately grenade the spider gears. I had to buy new internals and went with another HR diff so we'll see what happens this year. If it happens again I'll go with the Pro Ball diff.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    In addition to what has already been said, wandering on a strait could be a "toe" issue, or a loose servo saver as well. Make sure you have the toe set to either 0į or toe it out up to 2į. Also for new drivers it's a good idea to buy a good remote & receivers that have adjustable end points and expo. You can lower the steering end points to make the steering less twitchy. You can also adjust the throttle expo or end points to keep from spinning the tires too much until she gets good control of the car, then turn the end points up more as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0314 View Post
    I’ve only heard of the hot racing one, I’ve also heard that it leaks? Any other brands you’ve heard of?

Hot Racing can/does leak (mine does), ball diff is good but requires a fair amount of skill and can only handle mild brushless 2S. Stock diff with some bad horsie grease in there is probably the most reliable, but it kinda sucks performance-wise. None of them are perfect IMO, just gotta pick which problem you're willing to deal with.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Spharticus View Post
    In addition to what has already been said, wandering on a strait could be a "toe" issue, or a loose servo saver as well. Make sure you have the toe set to either 0į or toe it out up to 2į. Also for new drivers it's a good idea to buy a good remote & receivers that have adjustable end points and expo. You can lower the steering end points to make the steering less twitchy. You can also adjust the throttle expo or end points to keep from spinning the tires too much until she gets good control of the car, then turn the end points up more as needed.
    Thanks for the tips! Unsure of how to adjust the toe but Iím sure I can find some videos on YouTube lol. Thanks again!

yeah mike0314, you can learn a bunch from youtube vids!

Toe is adjusted by lengthening or shortening you steering "turnbuckles". The shorter the are the more toe-out. Figure out a good way to measure.

Anyone suggest a good camber and toe gauge tool? Is there a tool that does both?
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    yeah mike0314, you can learn a bunch from youtube vids!

Toe is adjusted by lengthening or shortening you steering "turnbuckles". The shorter the are the more toe-out. Figure out a good way to measure.

Anyone suggest a good camber and toe gauge tool? Is there a tool that does both?
    I'm using this one. https://www.amazon.com/RPM-70492-Toe.../dp/B0006O7O0Y

This is the camber gauge I use: https://www.amazon.com/RPM-RPM70992-...7*N*4*H*A*T*S*

This is the ride height gauge I use: https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Rid...A4HVRW47N4HATS

For my touring car I use this set: https://*********.com/en_us/********...up-system.html

If you are poor, just ask another friendly racer at the track if they would help you adjust your toe and camber using their tools.

If you are going to race it on carpet, I very much recommend upgrading your transmitter. If your just starting and don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CCEEUE7K&psc=1

It comes with a receiver, and it will hold up to 10 different models in the memory.

If you can afford it, upgrade to this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5VQT6XMB&psc=1

If your rich buy one of these: https://www.amainhobbies.com/transmi...s-trucks/c3540

Some tips for a new driver. Don't hold the remote away from your body, hold the transmitter close to your chest with your left arm locked to the side of your body. It's difficult to be consistent if your "floating" the transmitter all over. Also don't ever let go of the steering wheel to change directions. You should be able to turn full left and full right without letting go of the steering wheel. If I hear the guy next to me making the "twang" sound because he lets go of the steering wheel for it to re-center, I know I will beat him. Also try not to grip the controller to tight. It's hard to remember and you tense up on the controls when you are trying to win.
    Last edited by Spharticus; 01-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.