RC poster

generic aluminum shocks

Has anybody used any of the cheaper aluminum shocks, such as from Atomik and the generic (presumably Chinese) ones on ebay? Are they worthy of consideration?

Here are some examples

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-AL...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Sta...ryB:rk:57:pf:0

Or are the big bores from traxxas for sure the way to go if you want inexpensive but better suspension? I just do general 'bashing' but not too extreme. Have a couple dirt jumpbs, like a foot high, in the back yard is all and mess around.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go for the GTRís. Skip the big bores.

RC poster
    Thanks, I am sure the GTRs are awesome and I will consider, but the main point of the post is whether anybody has had success with cheap generic ones.

I tried some like the first set you listed. They were not good. Leaked, springs included were terrible. Stock ultra shocks with aluminum caps are way better IMHO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by OKdriver View Post
    Thanks, I am sure the GTRs are awesome and I will consider, but the main point of the post is whether anybody has had success with cheap generic ones.
    If you read the second half of your post youíll see why I responded why I did. Bottom line in almost every case you get what you pay for. If you look you can find GTRís very reasonable(mine were 45 for all 4). But no Iíve never bought garbage shocks.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    If you read the second half of your post youíll see why I responded why I did. Bottom line in almost every case you get what you pay for. If you look you can find GTRís very reasonable(mine were 45 for all 4). But no Iíve never bought garbage shocks.
    You are right, I asked too many questions. Now that at least one person has verified that at least some of these cheap aluminum shocks are indeed garbage, I will consider others.

What about used GTRs or ProLines? There are lots on ebay. Is used OK with RC stuff? Seems like they are generally half off.

I've already busted one stock cap (lost its threads) and just bought aluminum caps. So I'll definitely be wating till I bend a rod or something else breaks.
    Last edited by OKdriver; 01-09-2019 at 09:25 AM.

If someone took the time to clean up the used products then maybe would be good. Not much can go wrong with shocks - make sure the shafts are straight and the caps not stripped. They are probably the simplest item to maintain on these vehicles.
    The Super Derecho

Ive used cheap shocks and even after several rebuilds, which didnt have to do with gtrs or d8's, id get alittle usage before leaking again and Ive found the biggest part of cheap shocks is cheap metal for rods that bend easily!!!

My thought is: So if Im tearing down cheap ones and rebuilding them and replacing weak shafts from new, why dont I just spend a little more and buy the quality ones that are maintenance free. My D8's are few yrs old and opened once to check oil and was perfect so put back on and havent touched since lol. Gtrs have done oil change to change handling but havent needed to touch them either as far as fixing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    My son has the first link on his stampede. He blowed a shock cap off the second time he took his truck out. So We replaced them with the alumium ones. They made the truck more stable in my eyes. I do have the factory ones that will be rebuilt with metal caps for spares.