RC Enthusiast

How's your battery?

Hey guys! This is my first post! Anyways, I just got my Slash 4x4 1/16 scale! First Traxxas R/C car... in fact it's my first R/C car if you don't count Walmart's and Costco's haha. Anyways, I have to charge it in the car, and it takes about 1 hour or so... how long does it take you guys? But here's the thing, the battery only lasts 30 minutes of non stop riding. Does that happen to you? I am planning to upgrade to the 5800mah 7.4V battery, but am not sure if it's worth the money and am not sure if it will fry my motor and all that stuff... will it? Let me know, thanks!

RC Enthusiast

How's your battery?

I have no idea what the difference between LiPo and the Nickel one... I'm like 99.9% sure I have the nickel one... so my EZ Set thing should be set on red right? Green is for LiPo... also what is Brush and Brushless? I googled it, and was confused... lmk!

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-08-2019 at 03:52 PM.

The 1/16 Slash takes a smaller battery so "upgrading" to a 5800 will not fit. Yours came with the NiMH battery which is an introductory battery. A lipo would be a step up but you need a lipo charger for it. NiMH batteries start out powerful but slowly lose power until discharged. Lipo will maintain the same power output until it is discharged where it will quit - that is why you need to change the setting in the ESC so that you don't over-discharge.

Your battery may be 1200 mah and if the has an output of 1.2 amps/hour (1200 milliamp hours / 1C) then it will charge in an hour. If it is 2.4 amps/hr (2400 milliamp hours / 2C) then it will charge in a half hour. If 400mah charge rate then it will take 3 hours. As with most battery charger combos included with a vehicle you will spend more time charging then running.

Brush - there are brushes at the end of the can to power the motor and wired with a red and black wire. Brushless takes the innards and flips them inside out so there are no brushes and wired with three wires.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    the whole brush/brushless is too much right now lol... but I understand the top part. So if I get a better charger, it'll charge quicker? Link to it would help, and I could buy it rn... also what about the battery? Mine only lasts 30 min, so what do I do? Link to the better battery will also help. Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by faizakhtar125 View Post
    the whole brush/brushless is too much right now lol... but I understand the top part. So if I get a better charger, it'll charge quicker? Link to it would help, and I could buy it rn... also what about the battery? Mine only lasts 30 min, so what do I do? Link to the better battery will also help. Thanks
    Just look at brushed/Brushless like this.. Brushed motors are old and slow and most people don't even run those in there drills because they suck, Think cheap Walmart black and decker 30$ cordless drill.. Its junk and won't give much power.

Now Brushless are those 300$ cordless drill that are worth 300$ lol They give you all the power you need and then some.

Brushed old

Brushless = new faster better more powah.

Brushed = slow

Brushless = FAST

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TraverseCityMi View Post
    Just look at brushed/Brushless like this.. Brushed motors are old and slow and most people don't even run those in there drills because they suck, Think cheap Walmart black and decker 30$ cordless drill.. Its junk and won't give much power.

Now Brushless are those 300$ cordless drill that are worth 300$ lol They give you all the power you need and then some.

Brushed old

Brushless = new faster better more powah.

Brushed = slow

Brushless = FAST
    not saying I will since I'm a newbie, but how would I make it brushless? Maybe give it to a shop? Like I said, first RC Car, never raced (although I do now, track is only 20 minutes away from me). Also any help with the battery?

RC Enthusiast
    Is my model too much of a beginner car (hard to find parts for the 1/16) cuz my dad bought it for me for $200, which is quite a lot. I want to make sure we didn't make a mistake getting a 1/16 instead of a 1/10 ($400 ugh). If you ask for my opinion, I'd say it's fast for me, and I love it

Okay so I went on the main site, and wrote my model. It only shows two batteries, one being the stock one. So my only other option is the 2200mah 2 Cell LiPo battery (#2820X) for $45. Worth it or nah? Will it increase my riding time?

Also is #2976 connector good or nah? I got alotta questions haha

EDIT: found out the entire charger won't work with the new battery, so a new battery is a flop cuz I'm not ready to spend $100 on a charger rn, maybe later if I need that upgrade. I just want to make my truck last longer, not 30 min
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-09-2019 at 04:21 PM.

The only way to convert a brushed motor to brushless is to remove it and the ESC and replace with with a brushless motor/esc combo.

The mah is the size of the gas tank. The larger the number the longer the battery will last.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The only way to convert a brushed motor to brushless is to remove it and the ESC and replace with with a brushless motor/esc combo.

The mah is the size of the gas tank. The larger the number the longer the battery will last.
    ahhh that makes sense... BUT, the charger is still $100 and I don't want to spend that much. Do they make chargers for that style for like $50 hahaha

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas ez peak plus charger. I have one that's a few years old and one a few months old. The older one is just now starting to die but I highly recommend, only $50. Does all the guess work for you, all you do is plug in the battery and click "start".

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    Traxxas ez peak plus charger. I have one that's a few years old and one a few months old. The older one is just now starting to die but I highly recommend, only $50. Does all the guess work for you, all you do is plug in the battery and click "start".
    Sweet! I think I'm going to get that for $50 and get the 2200mah battery for $45... will the motor or any component fry if I put that battery in? Part #2820X

RC Qualifier
    Nope, you should be fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

How's your battery?

You have to pay to play. Yes, it is expensive. But it's cheaper than therapy. My slash 4x4 is worth more than my real car. My mini revo 1/16 is also.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-09-2019 at 09:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    You have to pay to play. Yes, it is expensive. But it's cheaper than therapy. My slash 4x4 is worth more than my real car. My mini revo 1/16 is also.
    I’m almost with you. $1500 in rc cars and $4500 into my 1:1

RC Enthusiast
    So how long would the 2200Mah battery last? Would it give it more power or just driving time?

Depends on how hard you drive.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Depends on how hard you drive.
    little bit of both, slow and full speed haha. Of course on Sport mode

RC Enthusiast
    Would it give more power as well? Or would it be the same speed?

RC Qualifier
    Wait are speaking about the 1/16th slash? If so, a 2s lipo wonít make it any faster, but it will provide better run times and also more stable speed versus the included NIMH. The lipo will hold hold itís charge much better then an NIMH. You can also use 2 lipos in parallel and get much longer runtimes. Just donít use them in series. 2 of the NIMH ones you can use in series.
    Now if we are speaking about the regular slash 4x4 1/10 one, youíll need a 5k or larger 2-3s lipo for it.

LiPo has .2 V more power, and will hold it for a longer period.
    NiMH will start out fast, but will quickly start to fade.
    Read Double G's post #3.

Might get more responses if your thread were in the 1/16 sub-forum:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/forumdisp...-Slash-VXL-4WD

Note:
    Above link is for the 1/16 E-Revo and Slash 4x4 VXL sub-furum. There is no sub-forum for the 1/16 brushed rigs...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Alright sick! Yes I have a 1/16 so yea... I think Ima get the 2200mah battery and the charger, total is $95... Ima also get a new clear shell for $20 so I won't scratch the Mike Jenkins shell any more haha! Thanks guys!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by faizakhtar125 View Post
    Alright sick! Yes I have a 1/16 so yea... I think Ima get the 2200mah battery and the charger, total is $95... Ima also get a new clear shell for $20 so I won't scratch the Mike Jenkins shell any more haha! Thanks guys!

What color ya plan on painting it?

RC Enthusiast
    not sure yet, what color SHOULD I do?