RC poster
    Hello, I was driving my truck today breaking in a new 3.3 engine I got because my old one went bad. I was on my 4th tank going to full throttle when I started to hear clicking from the truck while accelerating. I sadly kept breaking it in as I just thought there was something stuck near the axles making the noise. I was about to run out of gas so I was driving the truck back up my gravel driveway and punched it when the engine went to full rpm and the truck stopped moving, flywheel not spinning. I quickly plugged the exhaust as I wanted to stop the engine quickly.

Now when I roll the truck or spin the spur gear there is a clicking coming from somewhere in the transmission. I put some more gas in it to diagnose the issue and the truck would go for a second, then it seemed like the transmission gears would pop out and the truck would quickly gain rpm and not move, so I pushed the truck forward and it would click back into gear while this repeated, I stopped after about 3 times so I would not hurt the engine. Anyone have an idea of what is happening??

Also when I just roll the truck forward while the engine is off there is a loud click that comes from somewhere near the transmission. Help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-08-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: merge

Are you sure the flywheel is not spinning? If so then the collet on the crankshaft is loose or broken or the flywheel hole was opened up. Very unlikely that would happen.

Or are you talking about the spur gear? Does the clutch bell spin? Does the spur gear spin?

Take a look again and determine what spins and what does not when the engine is running.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Are you sure the flywheel is not spinning? If so then the collet on the crankshaft is loose or broken or the flywheel hole was opened up. Very unlikely that would happen.

Or are you talking about the spur gear? Does the clutch bell spin? Does the spur gear spin?

Take a look again and determine what spins and what does not when the engine is running.
    Spur gear does not spin, my mistake. edit:: Looked closely at the spur gear, looks like some of the gear stripped off on a section.. might be the cause of my problems and would explain why it was connecting when I pushed the truck forward. Any idea what would cause the spur gear to strip like that? Also when the truck would idle it would roll forward pretty quickly no matter how much I loosened the slipper clutch. Or lowered the idle to the minimum rpm it would stay alive.
    Last edited by TheRCDriver; 01-09-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Stripped spur is due to the engine shifting because it is not tightened down or the mesh is too loose.

The engine needs more than a few tanks of fuel to settle down. Set the idle gap to 0.7-1.0mm open and leave it for now. Any more or less and you'll have issues. Reset to factory settings on the other two needles to factory. Don't automatically think that both needles need to be leaned out for performance - I've found the LSN may need a little tweak richer and the result is an idle that will settle down and temps lowered because the engine is cooling at idle. A lean LSN will cause the engine to slowly heat up.
    The Super Derecho