RC poster

Hello and a question

Hey all.

I'm new to the place. I've always wanted a hobby grade RC. Had many toy grade vehicles as a kid. I just bought a used 1/16 E-Revo VXL knowing it needed some drive train repairs. I'm assuming it's a slightly older version considering it came with two 3S Lipos. One is a Traxxas Power Cell (non-ID which is why I'm guessing a little older) and a Dynatrax. It also came with Proline Dirt Hawgs on beadlocks as well as a Tactic TTx300 transmitter. Everything else seems to be stock to my eye.

Now on to my question. Seller said that there was something not catching in the gears or something. Well, I powered it up to see if it would move, and it won't. I then opened up the bottom side to see if I could get an idea of where the issue might be. When giving it throttle, both drive shafts will spin, but the wheels either don't move or just barely move. Seeing that, I'm assuming both diffs are shot. Is that a safe guess?

Thanks.

Adam

Hello Adam.
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums.

Yes, it sounds like both front and rear diffs are shot.

Since it is an older MERV, while rebuilding the diffs you should shim them.

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks! After doing some reading on here and elsewhere, I ordered the upgraded bulkhead for the rear in hopes of not needing to shim as it seemed like a number of people pointed to the flexing in the original bulkhead being a big part of the issue.

RC poster
    And now I've screwed around on ebay and got myself a TQi 2 Channel Transmitter (PN 6528) and a 5 channel TSM link receiver (PN 6533) with the bluetooth module included. I didn't expect my bid to get the job done, but it did. So would this be better to use in the MERV than the Tactic that came with it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 07nightster View Post
    And now I've screwed around on ebay and got myself a TQi 2 Channel Transmitter (PN 6528) and a 5 channel TSM link receiver (PN 6533) with the bluetooth module included. I didn't expect my bid to get the job done, but it did. So would this be better to use in the MERV than the Tactic that came with it?
    I like tactics. All about preference. Radios are typically something you change if you're having a problem with something,