RC poster

Need a little help

Decided to try a 3s lipo 5000mah for the first time in my stampede 4x4 vxl. After about 5 to 10 min I noticed I lost power to the truck and smelled a burning stink coming from the pinion gear area behind the motor and from underneath the truck in the same area. Could I have melted those gears? I assume they are plastic. If I would have know the truck wasn't quit ready for 3s I would have just stuck with the 2s lipo I have been using with no breaks now for over 2 years. I have to admit the 3s was fun, a lot of speed which I like but I don't want my truck to break everytime I want a little more speed. Any help would be great and any advice on how to run 3s and not break it. They claim right out the box you can run 3s with the stock gears but not so sure now.

It will handle 3s. The slipper clutch is one of the components that needs to be adjusted.

Chalk it up to lesson learned - pull it apart and see if there is any damage.
    The Super Derecho

Mine handles 3S just fine. All stock drivetrain, motor, ESC.
    Smells like...I mean sounds like the slipper may have been loose and slipping creating what feels like power loss, friction, heat and then smoke.
    If you had melted the gears you would have had no power. No gears no go..!

Pull it apart and check it out. My guess is the slipper will need a little freshening and tightened down.
    I have had mine loosen up to where I couldn't pull much of a wheelie, I'm sure if I had kept pushing it I would have ended up with some stink and smoke too.

Good luck
    -A
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC poster
    Ok I will check that out. It was still moving just at a slower speed and that's when I noticed the smell coming from behind the motor. The slipper clutch is between the 2 plastic trays in the middle? Little screw. I will also take off the pinion gear cover and take a look at that as well. I am newer to this hobby so this will be my first time taking the truck apart to try and fix. I do have a nitro sport as well but again I haven't had any issues with it at all and only thing ive done is change out the transmitter and receiver so far and paint a new body. Thanks for the help. On the slipper I can just tighten that down and then what 1/2 to 1/4 turn back out? I don't want wheelies all the time but sometimes would be ok. Would you guys recommend a fan for the ESC, I do not have one right now and would like to run the 3s more.

RC poster
    Should I have changed my gearing with the 3s to the optional one included when I bought the truck? it was plenty fast on 3s totally stock and more than enough to make me happy. I had been running the 2s for a while now and just wanted more speed. I would love to be able to use the 3s only on mine after I get whatever happened fixed.

RC poster

Good lookin Truck! I like those tires/wheels.

You will see the slipper down in there when you remove the cover for the motor pinion/spur but to really get at it you need to remove the rear section of the truck.

Check out page 26 in the manual:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R03.pdf

This shows you the quick and easy way of removing the front and rear sections of the truck. When you remove the rear section the slipper assembly will come out. Disassemble the slipper out of the truck and inspect the three little slipper pads. My guess is they will be glazed over, from slipping to much. Rather than replacing I have taken sandpaper and freshened up the pads by sanding away the glaze.

Check out the Gearing Compatibility Chart on page 27 in the manual. Pick a mild gearing choice to help keep temps down. Get yourself a IR Temp gun to keep an eye on temps.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Stock p4des will not handle 3s power that well if your an avid full throttle basher. Its well documented, going to 3s, starts breaking things unless you upgrade.

For starters... slipper as you noticed, bearing adapter on the slipper, drive shafts, wheel hexs(the dinky 12mm hex in wheel will crack or strip, even faster if jumping a lot), diffs will start needing regular maintenace after upgrade to xo1 diffs. Dont fear though you can bullet proof your p4de. Search threads. Heres my .02 on it: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?p=6296896

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Briber; 01-14-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    That’s what I was afraid of going to 3s. I had fun for the roughly 10 min before my break. I don’t run mine hard I mainly like to run up and down my asphalt road at full speed but as you mentioned I’ve read about the numerous issues people have running 3s. I will either upgrade the truck or stick to 2s. My nitro sport runs fast so guess that truck can fulfill my speed want. Thanks guys for all the input it’s greatly appreciated.