RC poster

Does a 2s Lipo need a fan?

The ECS is set up for lipo right?
    Do I need anything besides the batteries?

I've seen that Lipo might over heat the motor so some people have put fans on them.
    Is that required?

I don't want to cook my motor, but I also have a newer one and the threads I saw before were for older tenton's so I don't know if that makes a difference.

RC Qualifier
    Just keep an eye on the temps. If the motor is hot and the ESC is cool, your are over geared. If the ESC is hot and the motor is cool, you are most likely under geared. Itís a good idea to get a temp gun. Make a pass and then check the temps. Then from there for the first couple runs check it every few minutes. If things are good you should not have to worry. That is if you are geared correctly. Hope this helps and have fun!!

RC poster
    That helps a lot!

Thanks!

What is too hot? Or am I just looking for a temp difference?

RC Qualifier
    Max temp of about 160 degrees. You donít want to really go over about 140 safely.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Just keep an eye on the temps. If the motor is hot and the ESC is cool, your are over geared. If the ESC is hot and the motor is cool, you are most likely under geared. Itís a good idea to get a temp gun. Make a pass and then check the temps. Then from there for the first couple runs check it every few minutes. If things are good you should not have to worry. That is if you are geared correctly. Hope this helps and have fun!!
    Hows it going man, hey sorry for the noob question but what is over and under geared?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Over geared is having too high of a gear ratio, being under geared is having too low a gear ratio. Neither is good for the ESC or motor. You want a happy medium. Stock gearing and a 2s lipo you should be just fine.

RC poster
    Did a few runs.
    ECS - 47
    Motor - 102įF

Not a great test though since it's 35įF outside :-P

Can you get a fan for the motor?

RC Qualifier
    That is not hot at all. You can get it to about 140-160 before you will notice any ill effects. You donít want it to run too cold. You should be fine with those temps. If you feel like you need a fan, get one, but with the temps you are reporting, all appears to be fine.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help!

I'm sure the Temps will go up this summer :-)

Or when I cram a bigger brushless motor in it :-P