RC Racer

Bringing my O.G. E-Revo back

All..
    So, my son(13), has gotten into RC Trucks. He's been wanting my old E-Revo but I wasn't willing to just hand that over. Got him a Stampede to start. We converted it to brushless and has been having fun.
    So much fun, I decided to get my e-revo back on the road.

It's an original e-revo that I converted to brushless back in 2008. NEU 1515 1.5D, first Gen Castle Monster ESC, running 4s (or 6s). Amazing how much prices have come down from back then.

So, anyone from my era out here? I have some questions on some of this. The cobwebs are thick.
    I am looking for some guidance on gearing, etc for a NEU 1515 1.5D and a NEU 1515 1Y (I think this is better for 6s?). I also have a Medusa (I am not sure the size). I have been trying to find some of the old posts from back then.

Eagle Tree Monitor? I am still learning how to use this again, and what I might be missing.

I remember back when I was playing, I had this rig GPS'd at just under 60.

It is still all solid and running. We picked up some SMC 2S batteries and ran it around.. She runs great.
    I need to replace all the rubber boots.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    18/54 gearing should work well for you. It’s been so long I can’t remember if that is stock or not. It’s what I ran on 4s. I just checked my old OG erevo chassis as it sits in a bin torn apart due to blowing diffs every run. It’s geared 18/54. I believe that was stock for the brushless erevo with the 2200kv castle motor and the MMM. Hope this helps.

RC Racer
    Thanks 222. Currently, I am geared at 23/58 with the NEU 1515 1Y.
    I'll have to check temps, but she runs pretty stable, however temps are 30F.

I also found that my username JaySki was banned for some reason, probably 10= years ago.

RC Qualifier
    That is about the same as 18/54. May be a little higher, but not much. You shouldn’t have any issue with that gearing. Just keep an eye on the temps like you already are!

RC Qualifier
    If you are running on 4s only, that gearing is perfectly fine. Your esc should stay nice and cool because those MMM's had no waterproof barrier to trap heat in, and those old school castle motors ran very cool as well. Curious on updates, let us know.

RC Racer
    Peeeenuuutt, Absolutely. I ran 2 SMC 2S 5400 packs a couple times until cutoff. It does look like the old MMM is sucking one cell pretty hard/low. Too low. So, I ordered coupe of the SMC 2S 7400 packs.

I need to get the old girl cleaned up and refreshed. I have an old Eagle Tree Elogger still wired in, but I don't recall how to use it, need to find a USB adapter and software. Ha!.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayski74 View Post
    Peeeenuuutt, Absolutely. I ran 2 SMC 2S 5400 packs a couple times until cutoff. It does look like the old MMM is sucking one cell pretty hard/low. Too low. So, I ordered coupe of the SMC 2S 7400 packs.

I need to get the old girl cleaned up and refreshed. I have an old Eagle Tree Elogger still wired in, but I don't recall how to use it, need to find a USB adapter and software. Ha!.
    Ah what a shame, how old are those packs?

RC Racer
    All the packs are brand new. I do still have a set of max amps 8000 2s packs that charge up.

All the packs are brand new. I do still have a set of max amps 8000 2s packs that charge up.
    What value is the LVC set at?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    That's weird. Typically an esc doesn't drain a cell over the others. When you try different batteries let me know if it still drains a cell.

Bringing my O.G. E-Revo back

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    That's weird. Typically an esc doesn't drain a cell over the others. When you try different batteries let me know if it still drains a cell.
    Cell voltages diverge significantly if the pack is drawn too low. In this case “too low” means “under 3.5 Volts per cell.”
    Old MMM default LVC was set to 3.0V/cell. Way too low. Newer Monster default LVC was set to 3.2V/cell. Still way too low.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Cell voltages diverge significantly if the pack is drawn too low. In this case “too low” means “under 3.5 Volts per cell.”
    Old MMM default LVC was set to 3.0V/cell. Way too low. Newer Monster default LVC was set to 3.2V/cell. Still way too low.
    +1. I bumped mine to 3.4, which for most is still a little low but I live life on the edge.

Anyway I thought he meant it was overdischarging one cell in particular, like to below 3V, which was why I was hinting the battery was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeeenuuutt View Post
    +1. I bumped mine to 3.4, which for most is still a little low but I live life on the edge.

Anyway I thought he meant it was overdischarging one cell in particular, like to below 3V, which was why I was hinting the battery was the issue.
    I wouldn’t say you were wrong. One cell may indeed be overdischarging, but it may not be the battery’s fault IF it is being used out of spec.

RC Racer
    i'm not sure yet. I ordered a new castle link so I can find out. I 'lost' a lot of the little stuff through a couple moves and almost 10 years. So, between my son and myself, I am working on getting more tools and parts.
    I did try a couple of different batteries. It does cut it off, I am just not sure of the setting and it's pulling on one pack harder than the other(not a surprise there).

RC Racer
    Finally got into the ESC and raised the voltage cutoff. It was set at default, but I feel it was still pulling lower.
    I also updated the firmware on the MMM as it hadn't been done since 2008. Now the weather is pretty much crap and won't be out driving in it.
    I also replaced servos, bearings, all the rubber boots, and some other random broken parts.

RC poster
    Thank you for sharing this great data for us. Very valuable article. Really increase the value in the way you described everything in this article. Keep up the good work.
    Temple run

It will definitely be great with Revo. Thanks for the share.
    dissertation help UK