RC Qualifier

Brushless upgrade

So I have the old latrax sst. I want to upgrade to brushless. What are some good motors for use with stock gearing? I have a 45 amp esc btw

Don't go brushless unless you have a lot of money and patience for this little truck. If you go brushless, you will break diff housings and diffs a lot. Keep in mind that I was running the heavy duty steel diffs, and I shredded 3 diffs. However, if you don't care about shredding diffs every run, here's your combo: Castle creations mamba micro x, venom 3s lipo, and hot racing steel CVD shafts.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    Thx. The new prerunner has metal diffs. I will only run on 2s. Do you know of a milder system? And just a side question, r u a fan of kev talbot?

If you run only 2s, the diffs might hold up, but I never had a 2s for my truck when I had it. As for Kevin Talbot, I love his channel and am going to watch one of his videos when I'm done posting this.

RC Qualifier
    lol. Today i put in a 10th scale castle 4600 kv motor and ran on a 100c 6000 mah pack. I made the spur gear smooth as ice, but I hav a spare.

RC poster
    Here is what i have on my sst

motor was upgraded to a Castle Creations Mamba Micro X 8200Kv motor with speed controler
    Battery is a Venom 20C 3S 1300mAh 11.1 LiPO
    Knuckles replaced with Hot Racing aluminum parts.
    Hot Racing Aluminum steering bellcrank
    Hot racing Aluminum Front and rear shock tower
    GPM Steel tie rods
    Integy composite Chassis upper plate
    Traxxas Front & rear shock tower brace
    RC Corona Metal Gear servo
    Aluminum Hex adapters
    swapped out for teton wheels
    Acer racing bearing kit
    Yeah Racing 1/10 scale 60mm shocks
    Traxxas 7579X gear set
    Hot Racing SLTN28806 steel driveshafts

with this setup running in the back yard in the grass and down the street i havent blown a diff out. Will normally run 2-3 batteries before heading back inside.

RC poster
    Just want to put this out there,
    traxxas 1/16 vxl esc drops right into latrax 1/18,
    also losi 1/18 brushless motor
    ( https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-18-xc...motor-losb9457 )
    fits perfect just the motor shaft needs about 2mm ground off the end.
    Not the cheapest but fits perfect and so far bullet proof

RC Qualifier
    Thanks all... I will probably buy a gool rc system off amazon, because it is cheap, mild, and many people use it, and none of them mention that it is too much power...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke s View Post
    Thanks all... I will probably buy a gool rc system off amazon, because it is cheap, mild, and many people use it, and none of them mention that it is too much power...
    If you break gears, driveshafts and more, if you get disappointed, I can say you've been warned.

RC Qualifier
    Yes thank you. One major reason I want to upgrade is because the brushed system wears out fast. I will drive mildly and not too often though. Thanks all for the support.