RC poster

Motor recommendations for trx4 bronco?

I wanna change the motor in my truck at some point. I prefer tight, technical, demanding terrain when Iím crawling. Iím looking for something that is in that sweet spot of real crawling and the trail to get there. Whatís everyone have for their rig? Any suggestions? I would like to stay brushed at this point. I might do brushless later on down the road.... Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I can recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T.
    https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html

I use it paired with the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 brushed ESC (and with this ESC's 3A BEC you can use a pretty powerful servo too). I use the Power HD B3 brushless servo (375 oz-in / 27kg-cm @6V), and the BEC has no problems delivering enough power.

RC Qualifier
    I used the 21t Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 as mentioned above but unless your stock motor is worn and tired, performance is about the same. Changing the stock XL-5 ESC out for a Hobbywing 1080 helpmed me more with performance, particularly at low speeds.
    As did switching to a 9t pinion.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I can recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T.
    https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html

I use it paired with the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 brushed ESC (and with this ESC's 3A BEC you can use a pretty powerful servo too). I use the Power HD B3 brushless servo (375 oz-in / 27kg-cm @6V), and the BEC has no problems delivering enough power.
    Is there anything different to consider in this motor (fit, rotation, voltage), or is it an exact match to the truck? Going to build a chassis kit, and thought of getting a little better motor. Thanks!
    TRX4 Bronco (Tactical) & Bronco, Rustler.

RC Qualifier
    The stock TRX-4 motor is reverse rotation that means when turning in the reverse rotation it will have a little bit more power but in forward rotation then it will have less power as a trade off.
    The due to the design of the TRX-4 portals (or is it the trans?) the motor needs to spin in the opposite direction to make it move forward.

As this is the case you can use any neutral timed or reverse timed motor in the TRX-4 but you can't use a forward timed one without issues.
    All 540 / 550 motors have the same fitting mountings as stock, but best to stick with a 550 maybe as they're a little heavier but produce more torque.

Almost all brushed motors will work fine at up to 12v with proper gearing

RC Enthusiast
    Will the holmes hobbies motor work with the stock esc?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Damalife View Post
    Will the holmes hobbies motor work with the stock esc?
    Yes! Since the HH motor has neutral timing (0į), it will run equally good in both directions. It is a direct replacement for the stock Titan 21T motor, and in my experience the HH 21T motor has a little more torque.

RC Racer
    Im looking to get a little more top end speed, but have this HH TM550 motor on the list, while i look for other options.
    I dont see anything on his site, whether its rebuildable?

Would a pinion change be the best way to get a bit more speed, or better to use a different motor turn count?

RC Competitor
    I would recommend installing the HW1080 for $40 before swapping motors. I have four TRX4s all running the HW1080 ESC with different motors including the stock Titan 550 21t motor and HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t. The stock Titan 550 motor actually works very well and is very close in performance with the HH TM 550. Someone ask if the HH TM 550 is rebuild-able and the answer is no but for $20 who cares. I also have two TRX4s running the HW1080 and HH CrawlMaster Pro 550 12t which is rebuild-able.
    It's a rock, get over it!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    Im looking to get a little more top end speed, but have this HH TM550 motor on the list, while i look for other options.
    I dont see anything on his site, whether its rebuildable?

Would a pinion change be the best way to get a bit more speed, or better to use a different motor turn count?
    For more speed you would probably be in the market for a brushless system. Mamba X and 1406-2800 would be a good choice.

RC Racer
    Yeah, brushless is overbudget for sure. Knowing i will eventually replace the motor, i was hoping for a drop-in upgrade.

RC Competitor
    A 12 pinion gives it a little more pep!
    TRX4 Bronco (Tactical) & Bronco, Rustler.

RC Competitor
    I now have 5 TRX4s with various ESC/motor combos and my favorite is the HW1080 and HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t w/9t pinion. It provides incredible slow speed control and talk about smooth. I also have one TRX4 equipped with a Mamba X and HH 1800KV Revolver 9t pinion which is also a very smooth powerful crawler but about twice the cost. Both are run on 3s.
    Last edited by Inspector86; 02-01-2019 at 12:42 AM.

RC poster
    I just traded in my trx4 bronco titan motor, for the velineon 3500 system. it is awesome. I have zero cogging at low speeds. I am currently running traxxas 8.4 nimh 4200 battery. LIpos coming in the next couple of paydays. With the trade from my old motor and speed control it made the new system just over 100 bucks. since its all traxxas its just plug and play. Very impressive system.
    Last edited by Toxic; 02-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    This was me testing a 9 tooth pinion and a 15 turn 550 motor on 2s lipo in low gear and 3s lipo in high gear.

RC poster
    has anyone tested a 10 turn 550 CrawlMaster pro motor? I saw a review on YouTube and looks amazing

I have a hobby wing 1080 esc and just bought the 10t CrawlMaster pro. Have no idea what pinion to use so I donít overheat the motor.

Do you guys run the hobby wing 1080 with the castle bec or is it not necessary?

What do you guys think?

RC poster
    Stock should be good. That 10t should be close in kv on 3s to the stock Titan. With my sport motor i gear the crud out of it before it gets hot.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I'm not much of a brushed motor guy, so I usually go with brushless motors. I have a HW Xerun AXE 2700 KV on my TRX6, and it performs great, excellent low-speed control and massive amounts of torque.
    I would just go straight to a brushless system unless you don't want to switch out the ESC (I am assuming that the XL-5 ESC is compatible with other brushed motors, I rarely run brushed)
    Brushless is more expensive, but it is a good upgrade.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

I run the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T with the Hobbywing 1080 in all of my crawlers. Never failed me.

I recently installed the Holmes Crawlmaster 12T with the HW1080 and are super happy with it. I'm using stock gearing.

UDR, Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, TRX-4, Summit 1/16

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys on the same note. I bought myself a spare motor for when the stock does. It is an RC4WD 35T but it is not reverse. When I bought it the guy at the shop told me that since it was now a reverse motor I will have to invert the connectors when plugging it into the ESC. Wouldnt it be better to simply connect it normally amd then just reverse the channel on the transmitter?

RC Enthusiast
    Also any recommendations for spur pinion if I want to give a bit more torque?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggi View Post
    Hey guys on the same note. I bought myself a spare motor for when the stock does. It is an RC4WD 35T but it is not reverse. When I bought it the guy at the shop told me that since it was now a reverse motor I will have to invert the connectors when plugging it into the ESC. Wouldnt it be better to simply connect it normally amd then just reverse the channel on the transmitter?
    Is the RC4wd a 550 motor? I saw a this post on RCC on using a 550 vers 540
    UDR, Xmaxx, Rally, Slash 4X4, TRX-4, Summit 1/16