RC Qualifier

Formula 3-ish Slash

2 years ago I bought a dirt modified lexan body kit off Ebay for a Rustler.
    I never built the thing and recently decided to try to put it on my Slash LCG.
    The Slash is a bit longer, and the kit did specifically say it wasn't for a Slash.
    I was determined to use this kit... I mocked it up and found I needed a piece to fill in at the front.
    For some reason the nose piece just looked like part of an open wheeled car to me so...
    I ditched the kit/dirt modified plan and the rest of the idea just seemed to flow...
    I made a new alum. nose piece to hold the "Flame Thrower" rear wing for the front wing.
    The mock up of the rear is all Bristol board at this point.

Still a few things to hash out like clearances around the suspension and rear wing design/mounting...

I'm going to use all 0.030 Lexan for the main body, and the riser and pre-formed pod shown, from the kit, to finish it off.

Length 23 inches and width 7 1/2 inches. I'll have the shorten the shocks for sure...
    I'm hoping someone has done something like this and has some info, or pics. to add.
    Cheers Slash fans!
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 01-17-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Awesome Build. Cant wait to see the finished project!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Can't help you but I'm liking what I see.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Ha! Me likey much much.

I just finished a wing in the last few days, and your picture with the screws reminded me of some wire wing mounts:

If you don't mind the wire showing, that is. However, a more easily adjustable rear wing mount design may be nicer. You may want to be able to adjust the pitch of that rear wing. I think it would raise the wing up from where you have it, require slight grinding of the plastic mount, but a revo wing mount has a nice curve and has some adjustment positions. Yesterday I saw a saaweeet blue aluminum mount for a B6. I think I'm going to try it here in a month or so. The aluminum would carry some extra weight in top/back...which leads me back to a lightweight design using the wire mounts. Search <factory works wire wing mount> on ebay, cheaper if you buy direct.

I wonder if you could hook up some hr 17mm 10mm-extenders and get some nicer wheel/tire options in the 17mm category?

Maybe a small air "scoop" hood to channel some air over the esc/internals...give it an exit "duct" in the rear somewhere for some flow, that body is prety tight and won't offer the roominess like a sct body.

I'd probably put a guy in the cockpt, maybe an old gi joe or something. Either that or I'd do a chromed windshield. But whatever you do, this is cool.

Get your wheels/tires picked out and then get a nice low ride height. I need to do this soon, what material should we use as an uptravel limiter?

Cheers!
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Very cool build. I like to see out of the norm builds like this!

-Liberty

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Ha! Me likey much much.

I wonder if you could hook up some hr 17mm 10mm-extenders and get some nicer wheel/tire options in the 17mm category?

Maybe a small air "scoop" hood to channel some air over the esc/internals...give it an exit "duct" in the rear

Get your wheels/tires picked out and then get a nice low ride height.

, what material should we use as an uptravel limiter?

I'd probably put a guy in the cockpit, maybe an old gi joe or something.

I keep going back and forth between making a wing and using a pre-formed wing.
    I'm not entirely sure this will ever see the track. It may end up just-fer-lookin-at.
    I was planning on running the flying-wing modified body on the 1/4 mile oval again.

I have the adapters already(xmas). For all my rigs, so I can run buggy wheels.

IF I run it, I will def add air scoop for ESC. Rear is open for out-flow.

Looking at GDR's. Last years oval runs were limited by tires, not this year...

I'll probably have to make a belly pan for this too so I can have near zero ride height.
    The aero would be sweet then, but would def need cooling ducts at that point.

I usually use silicone fuel tubing to limit shocks up to 10mm, which compresses to about 8.
    Last year for the oval Rustler I had to use a 14 mm plastic collar(rear)(I think) to get it right.

I have a guy. I made him an aluminum racing seat...

I may or may not use him this time...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's snowing and bitter cold here in the great white north.
    I have a feeling I'll get lots more done this weekend, and post some pics of where I'm at now...

That guy looks perfect, and nice seat!

Did you figure out the wing mount?
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    One more day until 17 glorious days of vacation...

I've got the thing built with Lexan. It will surely be the first of a few versions of this.

The front clip is one piece and is screwed on top and bottom, as well as held at the clips.
    The middle section is screwed to the rear tower but when un-clipped at the front,
    tilts up to allow battery exchange or plugging/unplugging.

The rear section now has a compound bend on the corner and is angled for downforce.
    I had to grind a bit to lower it down to where I wanted it. This wing will mount direct to the rear pod.
    It screws to the shock tower and to a bracket I made to fasten to the stock bumper mount.

I just picked up some collars today so I can lift the wing up a 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

I can easily make a variety of noses, middles and rears to interchange if I want.
    Rather than change wings I can just change rear ends, or noses. Or if I crash...
    I bought a good sized sheet and cost/sq foot is down.
    I've got about $10/$12 worth of lexan into this body.

RC Qualifier
    A mild spell here in the Great White North means I can get some painting in...

Shown first is the little bracket I made up to help support the rear pod and wing.
    Mocked it up with Bristol board and tranfered to Lexan. Easy stuff...

The rest, not so much. A word from the wise, do all your grinding before painting.
    Especially if you have another colour to go. The static powder sticks like crazy!

I got some 1/2"x3/8"OD alum. collars to raise the primary wing off of the pod.
    The secondary wing is on 1/4" collars. This is all thru-bolted to my bracket.

I had an issue with the center piece and the nose still has glue drying so that's all for now...

RC Qualifier
    Here's the nose section. It's mostly held together with RTV. It's a one-off, so skip the details...

I had an issue with stress cracking along the edges. Lexan doesn't like to be bent 90 degrees.
    These areas are also subject to repeated 'adjustment' due to the over lap I made at the corner,
    and thirdly temp changes, inside to outside and back, while rushing the paint job.

I added some gussets to strengthen the weak spots.

Here's the 'finished' product

I say 'finished' with quotes because I may have to put some more stickers on it lol...

P.S. I did use +14mm extensions
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-06-2019 at 10:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That is another cool project and definitely a nice design and build. You should check on a licensing deal somewhere.

Fortunespoonz, that is looking RAD. Are you still using the cockpit piece?
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Fortunespoonz, that is looking RAD. Are you still using the cockpit piece?
    Yep. Coming soon to a Slash Dirt Modified Body near you...

I had decided to save that piece as it was part of the dirt modified kit.
    I did use the engine pod as I knew I could just order another one on Ebay.
    It turns out that I can get just the cockpit pieces right from the same guy too.

The modified body is almost ready to post, just a few details to work out,
    including a new nose/front wing mount design that will work with this body too.

P.S. To lower the rig, I just took out the small springs and collars off the shocks,
    and was left with a static ride height of 1/4", will need to preload a bit to run it!
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-12-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Can u show pics of the underside of both of the front and rear wings? Id like to see how they mount.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Can u show pics of the underside of both of the front and rear wings? Id like to see how they mount.
    I'll try to find any different pictures that I might have.
    It's all disassembled now for the dirt modified body build...

RC Qualifier
    Wow this thing turned out so much nicer than I expected!!! Cant wait to see the next project.

-Liberty

Awesome effort.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    F3.2 - To simplify my design and hopefully limit the cracking at the 90 degree bends,
    I changed the front to 'nose' only and made the center section go to the front shock tower.
    The compound bends should resist cracking and are more aerodynamic too!
    I extended the rear pod almost to a point and made a narrower, 2 element rear wing.

I'm still working on the front wing but the Dirt Mod Slash is taking up most of my free time nowadays...
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 03-21-2019 at 03:50 PM.