RC poster

Blew the stock motor. What should I do next?

Running my Teton on 2s as a fun little basher and blew the stock motor.

What should I do next?
    Replace it with a stock motor and a fan?

Go brushless?

Get a bigger brushed motor?

I'm not looking to have to overhaul the whole car, but more punch and speed would be nice.

Honestly, there is not a cheap way to do what you want to do. You could put a castle creations mamba micro x, but that would be a bit of an overhaul unless you get a castle link to make adjustments in the settings. If you go overhaul, you will blow diffs every outing. If you have the money and patience, brushless is a lot of fun, but these little trucks don't take the power very well. This particular truck really just isn't going to do what you want is to do without spending a lot of money or making lots of adjustments. Hope this helps, I just don't want you to fall into the bottomless money hole that these things turn into, because if you do, you will regret it (at least thats what happened to me anyways).
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    Honestly, there is not a cheap way to do what you want to do. You could put a castle creations mamba micro x, but that would be a bit of an overhaul unless you get a castle link to make adjustments in the settings. If you go overhaul, you will blow diffs every outing. If you have the money and patience, brushless is a lot of fun, but these little trucks don't take the power very well. This particular truck really just isn't going to do what you want is to do without spending a lot of money or making lots of adjustments. Hope this helps, I just don't want you to fall into the bottomless money hole that these things turn into, because if you do, you will regret it (at least thats what happened to me anyways).
    I got ya. I think you're not wrong.

If I just get another stock motor ($10) and a fan with a heatsink, do you think it will keep the motor cool enough?

A performance bump would be nice, but I agree that I don't want to dump a bunch of money in it.

I'm really just looking to make the current set up more reliable.

RC Racer
    I would get one of those 25a esc 2430 5800kv combos off Ebay like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/SURPASS-HOB...cZ-:rk:25:pf:0 I have one like this in my SST not too hard on the drive train. You might want to get at least the aluminum axles also.

I tried the brushed lipo route in all my 1/18 scale stuff (RC18, Dromida, Latrax) the motors never lasted long but I expect them to be able to run in a little bit of grass also.

Keep buying brushed motors is your choice also how much your willing to put into your Teton on what might need to be upgraded. My minis are just more fun brushless. You don't need a 3s rocket or a big motor to have fun and not constantly break parts but of course with more speed and power come with the chance of breaking things (on any scale).
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.

RC poster
    That looks like a good set up.

I'm not looking for a rocket and I don't mind some minor upgrades here and there.

That motor looks good. I asumme I would need to do something about the connector though?

To switch it to Traxxas ID?

How hard is it going to be on the drive train?
    Axles and diffs and everything?

Would I need to change the pinion gear or mod anything to make it fit?

RC Racer
    The connector would need changed or you can use a adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-TRX-Tr...kJg:rk:37:pf:0 I use deans connectors so it works out for me.

Not hard on the metal diffs they have in them now. The axles may or not last I would get the aluminum axles at least one set in case they break.

The stock pinion is fine but you will not be able to use the metal insert for the bottom motor mount screw. You may have to do a slight bit of filing on the motor mount bolt holes to get the bolts in. You will also need 2.5mm bolts to screw in to the motor the ones on the brushed motor are too big.