RC Enthusiast

Best screw set that won't rust.

I have quite a bit of rust on all my screws and I was wondering if there was a set out there for a good price that I can acquire that would help with my issue. Also may sound dumb but do you guys reccomend as for metal on metal parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xXPure1n5tinctX View Post
    I have quite a bit of rust on all my screws and I was wondering if there was a set out there for a good price that I can acquire that would help with my issue. Also may sound dumb but do you guys reccomend as for metal on metal parts.

Stainless is the only choice, you could use aluminum or plastic for non critical parts but they may be hard to find. I buy screws in bulk from fastenal.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

How about titanium, such as those offered by Lunsford?

Sent from planet Earth...possibly
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lunsford is great stuff, just expensive

rust is fine on the black oxide screws.... they wont oxidize to the point of cancer rust. they hold toy cars together without an isse, and hte rust wont hurt anyhting

Other option is if the screws get wet blow them off with air. Don't put it away wet.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    lunsford is great stuff, just expensive
    I don't mind (too much) the cost, especially when considering the strength, lightweight-ness, and longevity of titanium. I just received my turnbuckles from them, and, in going back to their website, I noticed they also carry screws (which I'm assuming are also titanium). I'm going to have to do some research, to see what they have that will work with my Rusty 4x4 VXL. If I can replace all of the current screws with titanium, that would be fantastic.

The company I work for previously sponsored one of our former chauffeurs who raced...so, maybe if I 'prove' myself 'worthy' enough, they might be willing to sponsor me, thus assisting in those costs.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Check into some dry lube. It really helps keep your screws from getting wet or retaining dirt and debris. And it will definitely aid in the fight against surface rust. Just some food for thought.

RC Competitor
    I agree with 222, you can prevent the rust. Either dry lube that's in an aerosol can, which goes on wet and then dries, but kinda leaves a grayish dirty looking film behind(at least the one I have does), or use silicone spray. I've used both, and I prefer the silicone spray. You have be be careful if you buy some, make sure it's 100% silicone spray, I've read some can contain stuff that's actually bad for plastic. I spray my entire vehicles lightly, with the exception of the tire treads, after I wash it down, or after getting them wet. I just hang them up and let them dry in the basement for a day or 2, don't want to take it out again while the silicone is still wet on it. Obviously be careful where you spray any liquid lube, don't want it getting into non waterproof electronics.
    Also double g makes a good point, don't put it away wet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    You have be be careful if you buy some, make sure it's 100% silicone spray, I've read some can contain stuff that's actually bad for plastic. I spray my entire vehicles lightly, with the exception of the tire treads, after I wash it down, or after getting them wet. I just hang them up and let them dry in the basement for a day or 2, don't want to take it out again while the silicone is still wet on it.
    Can you suggest/recommend any specific brands/products?

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for all of the suggestions I know I shouldn't leave it wet but I do not have a air compressor so I can't hit it with air to dry it off 100%. I am in the works of getting one but that takes money lol. I have spent quite a bit after just getting the truck since Christmas so funds are tight.

I would definitely stick with the black oxide finished steel set screws. It’s a pretty hard metal and can barely handle the amount of torque I put on it. Everything else is going to be softer and much more prone to stripping.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I would definitely stick with the black oxide finished steel set screws. Itís a pretty hard metal and can barely handle the amount of torque I put on it. Everything else is going to be softer and much more prone to stripping.
    Except titanium screws.....

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.

I would agree that rusty steel screws are better then bent or snapped nonrusted screws. Stainless, ti(expensive), and aluminum screws are all weaker. Its probably only surface rust, i run in the wet most of the time and i have a lot of rust, but its just surface rust, the screws pull out just fine, quality hex drivers help. As long as you dont put your rc away dripping wet you shouldnt get that crunchy rust that is the screw rotting away. I have yet to have a traxxas black screw rust out, and ive sank it like 6 times into slushy brown pond water this year driving on thin ice.

*edit: not sure whats up with the forum filter, its picking up the middle of a word as a censored word, not sure why.
    Last edited by IanRose; 01-22-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

@ Language filter: You spelled "expensive" incorrectly.

Traxxas screws or Tony's Screws have worked fine for me. Though my screws hardly rust since I don't often play in wet or snowy conditions, I still prefer hardened steel to weak stainless or to pricey titanium.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

I really like my set of Armor Plated screws form Hexcrews.
    Unfortunately, I think the company no longer exists.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

[QUOTE=xXPure1n5tinctX;6483431]Thank you for all of the suggestions I know I shouldn't leave it wet but I do not have a air compressor so I can't hit it with air to dry it off 100%. I am in the works of getting one but that takes money lol. I have spent quite a bit after just getting the truck since Christmas so funds are tight.

Edit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wont use stainless screws ever again. Their heads strip out a lot easier than the regular ones. You can get an air compressor @ harbor freight for $40

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Except titanium screws.....

~ Coming to you live, from somewhere on planet Earth.
    Fake news. I've never come across a titanium screw for RC that was harder than the black oxide steel screws. Even the expensive Lunsford stuff will strip more easily, I did a post on this somewhere comparing them.

Stick with the cheap stuff, it's actually the best. By the way, some companies enamel coat their screws, think of the biggest competitor to Traxxas. I actually don't like them because they don't bite into your hex drivers that well, but they don't rust and they are strong.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 01-23-2019 at 02:23 AM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stripping screws should be a non-issue if youíre torque them correctly. Maybe Iíve had issues with motor mounting. But thatís it. I know surface rust isnít a real problem. I just donít like how it looks. Iíve bent SS screws and black oxide screws both, usually donít know it till youíre taking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Stripping screws should be a non-issue if you’re torque them correctly. Maybe I’ve had issues with motor mounting. But that’s it. I know surface rust isn’t a real problem. I just don’t like how it looks. I’ve bent SS screws and black oxide screws both, usually don’t know it till you’re taking them out.
    Agree. Using the proper size wrenches and making sure they are seated properly when loosening or tightening helps as well. Avoid the ball-end wrenches.
    The Super Derecho

You could use a hair dryer if you don't have a compressor.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Can you suggest/recommend any specific brands/products?

Sorry for the delay, I'm in the process of moving, so my rc stuff is packed away right now. I'm not good on the internet, but the brands I've used are the crc silicone spray, red can, can be bought at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store, and my favorite one was a yellow can one I got at auto zone. I can't remember the name at this moment. That's the one I recommend the most. Maybe in a couple weeks i can snap a pic of it, once in settled in. Most silicone sprays, including the ones I've mentioned, have other additives, and aren't 100% silicone, so I was kinda misleading there. Teflon and ptfe are a couple common additives, both are fine for our rcs. Some additives like petroleum distillate are the things to avoid. They cause o rings and rubber seals to swell and that can cause bearings and shocks to fail. Generally, automotive stores carry safe silicone sprays, though not all. So if you're going to buy a can now, before I can dig out mine, I'd say get the crc brand one. Another thing to consider, though I never looked into it, is food grade silicone spray. That would be rc safe. I've seen food grade silicone grease, so maybe they make a food grade spray? Maybe I'm over thinking it. Could have answered this with a simple "crc brand silicone spray".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk