Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    49

    GTR Shock Setup Options

    Looking for some recommendations on shock setups. I have GTR shocks on a Rustler 4x4 VXL. Currently I have Traxxas pink rate springs on the back and blue rate on the front. Due to a pure lack of knowledge, I just threw in the silicone shock oil that came with the shocks.

    Specifically looking for spring and oil weight recommendations. Driving style is just general bashing.

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    3,058
    I don't have a Rustler 4x4 but I run GTRs on my Slash 4x4. I use VG Racing springs but they might be too stiff if the Rustler is a bunch lighter than my Slash(likely). For bashing I run 50w oil front and rear. I also installed the Revo variable tuning kit(#5461) which allows you to explore different piston hole sizes to fine tune the shocks to your truck/driving style/terrain. good luck!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  3. #3
    RC Champion FnFancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Los Al California
    Posts
    1,831
    The possibilities of shock set ups are endless, also what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. To start off let's ask what your truck is doing that you wish to change. What handling or jumping characteristics do you want to change?
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    The possibilities of shock set ups are endless, also what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. To start off let's ask what your truck is doing that you wish to change. What handling or jumping characteristics do you want to change?
    Mainly I was looking for a staring point to fine-tune from but I definitely see your point. Right now my complaint is the rebound. If I set the car down gently, it rides near the top of the suspension. However when I press the car to the floor and let go, it is slow to rise and definitely doesnít return to the height of when I set it down originally. Honestly this is with the ďpreload collarsĒ (canít think of the correct name) threaded about halfway down the shock as well. Itíd be much worse if they werenít preloaded. Iím wondering if a stiffer spring might not be a good place to start.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I don't have a Rustler 4x4 but I run GTRs on my Slash 4x4. I use VG Racing springs but they might be too stiff if the Rustler is a bunch lighter than my Slash(likely). For bashing I run 50w oil front and rear. I also installed the Revo variable tuning kit(#5461) which allows you to explore different piston hole sizes to fine tune the shocks to your truck/driving style/terrain. good luck!
    Thanks the sharing that. Iíve heard good things about the VG springs. I already have their chassis brace in a shopping cart. Might throw in the springs to test them out. Thanks again. Iíll also look into the tuning kit. Thanks for the part #!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Champion FnFancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Los Al California
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Mainly I was looking for a staring point to fine-tune from but I definitely see your point. Right now my complaint is the rebound. If I set the car down gently, it rides near the top of the suspension. However when I press the car to the floor and let go, it is slow to rise and definitely doesn’t return to the height of when I set it down originally. Honestly this is with the “preload collars” (can’t think of the correct name) threaded about halfway down the shock as well. It’d be much worse if they weren’t preloaded. I’m wondering if a stiffer spring might not be a good place to start.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It sounds like you're struggling with setting ride hieght. A good place to start for that is with the car ready to run, meaning battery installed and such, drop the car on the table or floor from 8 to 12 inches high. See where the car settles. Arms should be level to the ground, as in flat not pitched up or down. Adjust preload as necessary to achieve this.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    It sounds like you're struggling with setting ride hieght. A good place to start for that is with the car ready to run, meaning battery installed and such, drop the car on the table or floor from 8 to 12 inches high. See where the car settles. Arms should be level to the ground, as in flat not pitched up or down. Adjust preload as necessary to achieve this.
    Struggling is accurate. As is clueless . Iíll do that. Thanks for the tip.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •